Before I Wore Skirts I Never...

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Before I Wore Skirts I Never...

Post by Daryl »

denimini wrote:Before I wore skirts I never contemplated the difference between a peplum and a ruffle.
LOL. :lol:
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Before I wore skirts I never considered having any kind of a slit at the bottom of my bottom garment, much less one centred and at the back.

Before I wore skirts I never asked anyone to zip me up.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

crfriend wrote:Aren't cats grand creatures? I miss mine mightily.
They really do become family. I miss every one we've lost over the years.
Daryl...
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Daryl wrote:Before I wore skirts I never considered having any kind of a slit at the bottom of my bottom garment, much less one centred and at the back.

Before I wore skirts I never asked anyone to zip me up.
:lol: :lol: :lol: the only slits I had at the back of a garment used to be a suit jacket or raincoat :wink: now I check to see if skirt slits are too revealing or too small as you need to be ableto walk comfortably :roll:
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I never spent so much time considering my foot wear and my jacket or long cardigan......
I was wearing one of my long colourful Indian Skirts with a Knee length Fair Isle cardigan.
A lady I Know complimented me by saying.... " I like your Skirt Outfit " ... I could certainly visualise her wearing that style of outfit. That particular skirt would match
the colour of her hair......I am not quite sure what comment I would make if we met whilst wearing the same skirt outfit........... weeladdie
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Daryl wrote:...Before I wore skirts I never asked anyone to zip me up.
If you like having someone zip up your skirt, that's fine. But you can also put it on with the zipper in any convenient location and then simply rotate it at the waist.

I suppose that would be another, "I never..." I never put on trousers and then rotated them into place.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Caultron wrote:
If you like having someone zip up your skirt, that's fine. But you can also put it on with the zipper in any convenient location and then simply rotate it at the waist.

I suppose that would be another, "I never..." I never put on trousers and then rotated them into place.
"I never..." I never put on trousers and then rotated them into place"

Ewe that's got to hurt - somethings in the way are going to be smashed flattened rendered rendered - I need not go any further the message is OWWEE !!!

Now as for zipping up back zipping dresses that is a whole nother thing unless one is really ambi - bi - dexterous and a contortionist to boot -
although a bit of intervention with a hook and string may save the day getting in and out of the darn things and don't get me started on BUTTONS !!!

Heck I just got used to buttoning the reverse side button plackets on Henley polos and various blouses in the wardrobe -
then up crops this ugly head of "How to zip the invisible back zipper" !
Problem solved - zip in front and rotate about the waist axis to the side or back centered - best solution get an elastic waist skirt.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Caultron wrote:
Simply rotate...yes I've done that too, but what I have on under the skirt when I rotate it often doesn't rotate back to the right spot and I wind up having to re-tuck everything. It's easier just to get MOH to do the zip for me, if she's handy and we're in a rush. She never fails to add "oh woman" or some such jovial remark.

I only started asking for the zip because I have a rotator cuff injury which keeps me from getting both hands behind me. Before that I always did my own zipping, because it's not a big problem with two hands. I don't have any dresses with zippers but as I recall the main challenge with those are the ones that are so closely fitted that a person can't pull them up an extra inch to where the zipper can be grabbed with arm over should after getting the first half of the zipping done with hands behind back -- that spot in the middle of the back where we need sponges on sticks (or servants) to even wash it.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

r.m.anderson wrote:
Caultron wrote:
"I never..." I never put on trousers and then rotated them into place"

Ewe that's got to hurt - somethings in the way are going to be smashed flattened rendered rendered - I need not go any further the message is OWWEE !!!

Now as for zipping up back zipping dresses that is a whole nother thing unless one is really ambi - bi - dexterous and a contortionist to boot -
although a bit of intervention with a hook and string may save the day getting in and out of the darn things and don't get me started on BUTTONS !!!

Heck I just got used to buttoning the reverse side button plackets on Henley polos and various blouses in the wardrobe -
then up crops this ugly head of "How to zip the invisible back zipper" !
Problem solved - zip in front and rotate about the waist axis to the side or back centered - best solution get an elastic waist skirt.
The back-zipping dress really demands a zipper one can hook a string onto, unless one's servants are always close by. Those "invisible" zippers would just not lend themselves to that trick. I have used some of them in skirts, and quite like them otherwise.

I've always admired the look of blouses and dresses that button up the back and wish I could find one I liked in my size, but so far no luck. Fortunately I am a man so could probably leave the thing mostly buttoned up and just do the top two and bottom two buttons after putting it on. I like the look of visible zippers up the back too. It's like they denote the spine or something. In all cases, rear fastenings leave a cleaner frontal area, which has its own aesthetic appeal.
Daryl...
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

I've never tried to put on a pair of Levi's jeans over my head, like I usually wind up putting on a skirt or a dress. Probably wouldn't work very well...at all.

With the back zip (and side zip) dresses, if they're loose enough, turn the garment inside out, and put it on over your head with the tag at the back. Put the arms through the arm holes or the shoulder straps (if so equipped), then let the dress drop around your torso. Works with back and side zip skirts as well, if they're full enough. I pretty much always throw on a skirt or a dress this way, unless it's a wrap, like a Utilikilt or regular kilt.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Kilted_John wrote:I've never tried to put on a pair of Levi's jeans over my head, like I usually wind up putting on a skirt or a dress. Probably wouldn't work very well...at all.

With the back zip (and side zip) dresses, if they're loose enough, turn the garment inside out, and put it on over your head with the tag at the back. Put the arms through the arm holes or the shoulder straps (if so equipped), then let the dress drop around your torso. Works with back and side zip skirts as well, if they're full enough. I pretty much always throw on a skirt or a dress this way, unless it's a wrap, like a Utilikilt or regular kilt.

-J
Overhead dressing works fine for me and was my norm for quite a while. Now I've been losing weight and am able to tolerate closer-fitting clothes better, and I find that this method is becoming less certain in all cases. I thank my lucky stars I am not a woman sometimes, because the waist of my skirts is now narrow enough to make getting them down my chest a little tight, and would probably be impossible if my pecs were much bigger. I could just put shoulder straps on them and call them mini-dresses, I suppose... :shock:
Daryl...
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Kilted_John wrote: With the back zip (and side zip) dresses, if they're loose enough, turn the garment inside out, and put it on over your head with the tag at the back. Put the arms through the arm holes or the shoulder straps (if so equipped), then let the dress drop around your torso. Works with back and side zip skirts as well, if they're full enough. I pretty much always throw on a skirt or a dress this way, unless it's a wrap...
Seems like an awful faff for a skirt. Why not just step in and zip up?

I should think it makes more sense for a dress, if you don't hav any assistance. https://youtu.be/vVCoavEleMM
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

skirtyscot wrote:
Seems like an awful faff for a skirt. Why not just step in and zip up?

I should think it makes more sense for a dress, if you don't hav any assistance. https://youtu.be/vVCoavEleMM
It's faster. Plus, it can be done standing without bending legs or bending over. Granted, I'm pretty much never wearing something pencil or narrower than a-line, so even the denim skirt I frequently wear takes less time to put on than a Utilikilt.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Before I Wore Skirts I Never...waded in water up to my upper thigh while clothed without getting my clothing wet. We had heavy rain recently and a puddle in my path turned out to be almost up to my crotch. Pulling my skirt high and my clothing remained dry. It was a private area; I doubt it would have looked acceptable in public.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Jim,

Doctor Foster went to Gloucester in a shower of rain.
He stepped in a puddle right up to his middle and never went there again.

Sound advice?

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !