Hi from Colorado

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
mskirt

Hi from Colorado

Post by mskirt »

I’ve been reading (lurking) for months now. My whole life (I’m 62) I’ve been attracted to women’s clothes. I’ve dressed many times but until six months ago, would never consider leaving the house. My wife of 29 years caught me and we had a long talk about things. She’s very supportive and just doesn’t want to be embarrassed (or see me embarrassed). So my goal is to be able to go somewhere out wearing a skirt. I’m not talking about “drag” just a simple denim skirt. You all are so brave. Reading here is helping to give me courage that I may actually achieve that goal! Today I bought a long blue jean skirt at a thrift store while out of town on business. I think this may work and can’t wait to see what my wife thinks when I get back.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hi from Colorado

Post by Kirbstone »

Welcome Mskirt and best of luck with YOH.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Don't push it to fast with your wife.. It is great that she supports you one step at a time. Denim skirts are the way to start. I have had men look me square in the face/ skirt and say how happy they were that the weather has changed so we can wear shorts.

Start slow a nighttime trip to the bank or the gas station is great ice breaker. do all of your normal trips just pick a time when where you are going is not busy. :welcome:

One more point if you are planning to go to a certain place it is ok to do a dry run in pants.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Welcome to this collection of outside-the-box people.

It is a good start if your wife is not against it, especially after she had to discover your way of dressing. Go slow like the others said. You have to get used to walking around in skirts and your wife has to get used to a husband in skirts. It takes time. In the end she will realise that you are still the same guy, only with a skirt.

Happy skirting.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Glad you are here!

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
Nelson Mandela
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Welcome the Skirt-Cafe Mskirt.

The only thing you have to fear is you can't find a skirt to wear to the store that matches your mood. Go slow with the wife as she must get used to seeing you in a skirt. I am skirted all of the time every where I go. I have found that people really don't care what you are wearing. They may notice but never let on. So enjoy your skirted time.. :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedbrit »

Good for you! Having a supportive wife is a major bonus and I hope you will find that skirt wearing is not a problem, but a liberation. I think most of us have gone through this period of fear, embarrasment and self doubt. Stay with the site and read all the intelligent thinking that puts men wearing skirts into its true perspective.
I have gone through the same as yourself and now I wear what I want not what others or "society" thinks I should wear. To give an idea of progress, last year my wife and I had 3 weeks holiday in Norway and apart from bad weather I was skirted all of the time and I did not have a single problem the whole time. Freedom, comfort, liberation and confidence lie ahead. It really does change your perspective on life, and I for one feel so much happier.
Who would think that a bit of fabric can do so much for you? I also wear dresses and am having one designed and made for my 70th in October. As an average hetero male for me it has nothing to do with sex or sexuallity, or even fashion, but wearing of different, comfortable and even beautiful clothes otherwise denied to half of the population.
One step at a time and the rest of your life is going to be better!
webboy42

Post by webboy42 »

Welcome mskirt.

When it comes to wearing a skirt in public for the first time, it helps when you have a skirt similar to what you already wear. For me, that was a black knee-length Macabi since my previous preference was for black or navy cargo pants.

I was fortunate in the fact that I didn't have a significant other that I needed to cater to, so once I decided on my first outing, I just did it. It took me a couple of outings before I gained the confidence for skirting on a regular basis, and it took mum a couple of weeks to realize I was wearing a skirt.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Welcome ,Please come and join us. Many of our members have years of experience in wearing skirts.......we live all over the World
I come from S W U.K. ......................... weeladdie
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Good to see another man taking the first steps. Wifely support in the early stages is a rare thing. I'm sure you'll be able to work this thing out to your mutual benefit.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

mskirt wrote:I’ve been reading (lurking) for months now. My whole life (I’m 62) I’ve been attracted to women’s clothes. I’ve dressed many times but until six months ago, would never consider leaving the house. My wife of 29 years caught me and we had a long talk about things. She’s very supportive and just doesn’t want to be embarrassed (or see me embarrassed). So my goal is to be able to go somewhere out wearing a skirt. I’m not talking about “drag” just a simple denim skirt. You all are so brave. Reading here is helping to give me courage that I may actually achieve that goal! Today I bought a long blue jean skirt at a thrift store while out of town on business. I think this may work and can’t wait to see what my wife thinks when I get back.
I'm going to be in Estes Park for the next week or so, so if you live anywhere near there, maybe we could get together.

For a six-day visit to Rocky Mountain National Park, including hiking and rafting, I'm not bringing any pants, just skirts and utility kikts.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

Welcome Mskirt.
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
mskirt

Post by mskirt »

I’ve been pretty busy as of late. I have not had a chance to reply but thank you all for the welcome.
I’ve actually went out when I was on an out of town trip wearing a skort. Because it was my first time I walked a couple of miles in an area that was partly residential and partly stip malls. Little reaction.
One women, walking directly toward me on the sidewalk looked directly at my eyes and had the biggest smile. That made me feel pretty relaxed and more confident for my ultimate goal of going in an In and Out burger.
When I got there, it was very crowded. I stood in a long line and ordered. The only reaction I saw was the employee did a quick look down then back up before taking my order. All and all I was out for a couple of hours,passed by a lot of people and had only one unusual reaction.
As I was almost back at the hotel, a couple walking toward me was laughing and I’m pretty sure it was at my expense.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Take no notice. You will always get one or two unfavourable reactions. The problem is with their perceptions not your skirt wearing. :D
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

mskirt wrote:...I’ve actually went out when I was on an out of town trip wearing a skort...a couple walking toward me was laughing and I’m pretty sure it was at my expense.
You don't really know they were laughing at your expense. In five years of wearing skirts and kiits in public, I've never been laughed at even once. They could have been laughing at anything.

Roch on!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron