May be of interest to Mark and any other petrolheads on here

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

May be of interest to Mark and any other petrolheads on here

Post by FranTastic444 »

Livestream of Goodwood Revival.

I wonder whether this would be a suitable skirting event, given that there is an emphasis on spectators turning up in period style clothing?
Although not compulsory, the vast majority of Revival visitors dress in period style with many going to great lengths to achieve that authentic look. The resulting step-back-in-time spectacle plays a key role in making the Revival such a unique event.

While you’re not required to dress up (unless you qualify for central Paddock access, in which case a jacket and tie is necessary for gentlemen, and a dress or suit for the ladies), you’ll feel much more involved if you do. And whether you go for the slick urban look, gentrified country style or chocs-away military aesthetic, it’s not difficult or costly to dress appropriately.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Re: May be of interest to Mark and any other petrolheads on

Post by FranTastic444 »

Great to see the AC Cobra's 4-wheel drifting round corners :-)
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I was there yesterday. A fabulous day of racing.

I was tempted to wear my green tweed kilt suit, but chickened out. I’m an idiot. It would have worked perfectly. I was with my firm at the event. I mentioned my kilt attire to colleagues and guests, and the overwhelming response was “go for it!”

The majority of attendees were dressed in period costume - 40s to 60s. Skirts everywhere, almost all legs covered in seamed stockings or sheer nylon hosiery with a beautiful sheen. Polka dot dresses, bobby girl outfits, and miniskirts with white boots, channelling the 60s.

Just a great day out.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Were the A C Cobras the 3.5 or the Shelby upgrade ? .....these cars did burn ups on the U. K. motorways and outran the police cars at that time.

I cannot remember ...Was the V 8 Shelby upgrade a 4.2 or 4.6 Litre ?

If you are talking about ladies in Stockings you are talking probably pre Mary Quant and her new fangled Tights for the mini skirt.
As far as I can remember from my College Days this was 1967....I had three mini minors in succession.

I think we went to Yeovilton in Somerset to watch the Mini Coopers racing............I passed my driving test in 1963 whilst I was still at School.
My friends , you are making me feel old . ... I had another birthday two weeks ago ....Teen age office girls in stockings and suspenders.

The only progress which has been made is that my 1.4 Litre production Ford cruises at 90 and will go to at least 103 M P H.

Saw a real sports car today. The sort of car my father would drive me to school in..... Aero Morgan with a J.A.P. V Twin Engine.
Was this vehicle chain drive ?........Anyone remember the Cannon with an Austin 7 engine ? ....Used for off road hill climbs....weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Going back to the classic male clothes, I would wear my traditional Scottish 8 yard , 16 ounce Kilt with Jacket , waist coat and collar and tie.
Kilt Hose and garter tops. To complete the rig,... day wear Sgien Dubh with stag horn handle and my Horse Hair Sporran with brass cantle.
For an older style of Highland Dress one would wear an Argyle Kilt Jacket in Harris Tweed Check. Still available second hand but not normally worn
with Daywear these days. ....Pretty sure to get some interest from a lassie in a smart summer outfit with a nice pair of stockings and suspenders.

Very interesting to compare notes regarding the finer points of the classic male and female outfits.

I would feel that a " Man in Skirts " outfit might be a No No for this event as such a style of dress might be considered ahead of its time.
I would probably see some of my style of summer skirts being worn by the lassies. ......
Any sightings in the wild for this event ? ..............weeladdie
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

I watched a bit of the Goodwood event today and disappointed that they were only showing the cars racing. Not interested in that. Personally, I would rather watch One Man and his Dog. So turned it off. I wanted to see the old cars of the day, the aircraft, old coaches- far more interesting for me.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

WL, the Cobras of Shelby were fitted with Ford's 428 cu in V8 engines, 7.0 litres.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Not a great film of Goodwood. There's more to look at than cars actually racing.

My very first date with the girl who was to become MOH was to Brands Hatch, where an American Chapparal with God knows how many normally aspirated Cubic Inches burbled its way to win over a raft of screaming Ferraris & Porches &c.

It was such a noisy event that we opted for sailing instead to fill our spare time, but some years later we did once drive our (then) old 1928 Alvis to Le Mans by invitation and re-acquainted ourselves with the shocking noise levels.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

40522939_2134953436744036_6070712911470434452_.jpg
Instagram pic of a Kilted gent at Goodwood :wink: Love the jacket and waistoat too 8)
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thanks for photo of Kilted Gent. Note the watch chain and sporran ....Matching tweed jacket and waistcoat. No belt worn under the waistcoat.

Sinned ..thank you for information on the Shelby Cobra. There is one down here at the Lizard. ...This one has a chromium plated engine.
Bit under powered at 3.5 Litres.

The local car club and the visitors bring out their classic cars in the summer.... happy memories of my youth ...There was a red Morgan Plus 4 running round
for a couple of weeks. .........................weeladdie.