how short can you go in skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Re: how short can you go in skirts

Post by Bikerkilt »

I wear a knee length skirt in summer to a maxi in winter that the way I roll.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

Maybe
I should have asked how short can you go and still be decently covered and legal!
I'm only 5ft 6in but don't think it would be right for me to go out around hundreds of people in anything shorter than 14- 15 inches, crumbs I'd soon tell my daughter to change before she went out in anything too short so I must lead by exxample
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Absolute height likely has little to do with the question as much is down to one's individual geometry. Some of us are more "leggy" than others, and some of us have long torsos compared to our legs -- and it's this ratio that needs close consideration once the necessity of covering That Which Must Be Covered (in a legal sense) is taken into account. We must also factor in our own behaviours; it one is highly dynamic physically, one may need to be more aware of that than ones who are more staid physically. Place also influences the decision; what one might wear to work is entirely likely going to be different than what one wears to a party.

So, it's a hard call. I suppose that ultimately the notion of, "Would I let my teenage daughter wear this?" might be a decent arbiter, especially if one is trying to set an example. Why not? That's as good a reason as any other one.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

crfriend wrote:So, it's a hard call. I suppose that ultimately the notion of, "Would I let my teenage daughter wear this?" might be a decent arbiter, especially if one is trying to set an example. Why not? That's as good a reason as any other one.

I don't know but something hits me wrong when you suggest that an adult male is going to be able to set an example of the proper skirt length for his Teenage daughter.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed BBCode Quoting Format
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:I don't know but something hits me wrong when you suggest that an adult male is going to be able to set an example of the proper skirt length for his Teenage daughter.
I tossed that out as a possible arbiter of how short we might decide to take things. You know the old tactic: "Run it up the flagpole and see if anybody salutes."

I'll candidly admit to a rather conservative viewpoint, and that's skewed by where I live. Massachusetts likes to bill itself as liberal and forward-thinking, but at the same time has an intensely powerful Puritanical streak running right through its heart and mind which it'll likely never expunge. 'Tis a pity really -- so 20th Century in some things but so 17th Century in others.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

oldsalt1 wrote:So, it's a hard call. I suppose that ultimately the notion of, "Would I let my teenage daughter wear this?" might be a decent arbiter, especially if one is trying to set an example. Why not? That's as good a reason as any other one.

I don't know but something hits me wrong when you suggest that an adult male is going to be able to set an example of the proper skirt length for his Teenage daughter.
I used to tell my daughter she couldn't go out in shortest of her skirts when she was a teenager but she still did, I still tell her the same now and she's 25 but now takes a little more notice. She also tells me if my skirts are too short, so I think everything works out well.
My issue now is after 5 years living away it seems she will be returning home, think I might hang myself if she does.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed BBCode Quoting Format
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Its part of a parents job to tell their daughters what they should and shouldn't wear. Including telling them that their skirts are tooooo short.

I am just saying that when you as the father say something like . "You shouldn't wear skirts that short, because I don't wear my skirts that short. IT ain't going to work. :lol: :lol: :lol:
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

oldsalt1 wrote:Its part of a parents job to tell their daughters what they should and shouldn't wear. Including telling them that their skirts are tooooo short.

I am just saying that when you as the father say something like . "You shouldn't wear skirts that short, because I don't wear my skirts that short. IT ain't going to work. :lol: :lol: :lol:
It does work becouse IF she were to wear short skirts then she's leading me to do the same. Didn't I mention lead by example, and it works both ways.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

ok I concede lead by example. Over heard by a school locker. Gee Jane that skirt is a little short. Its ok its the same length as my Dad"s :lol: :lol: :lol:
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

My wife likes to wear skirts and dresses and looks good in them. I wear skirts one day a week when I am in the desert or mountains photographing, and in stores, gas stations, or around our house and out to the mailbox, loading and unloading my truck, etc. Skirts or anything else are acceptable in Palm Springs. We have seen servers in restaurants wearing skirts and dresses. I like to wear skirts when we are there. There was a hate crime attacker who severely beat a gay man, and then attacked another but was subdued by a group of bystanders.

I prefer to wear skirts right above the knee cap. It is the most comfortable for me, allows modesty when sitting in a restaurant and getting in and out of a car. We have visited their museum and several art galleries and shops. The length of my skirts are 15"-16". I like straight skirts with not much flair, that closely resemble shorts and are mostly khaki, denim, or camo patterns. Very few people even notice.

I like the light weight and ventilation of a skirt and change into one as soon as I come home. I like to keep dry and cool. Skirts are comfortable and no binding inseam when sitting or driving.
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

Something I found on Pinterest. Just as guide. 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

melsav wrote:Something I found on Pinterest. Just as guide. 8)
An enlightened guide, but where is "Crickley Comprehensive School"?
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

denimini wrote:
Sorry, I have no idea. Probably something made up. :lol:
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

denimini wrote:
I searched the inner-net and outer-net and found no school named Crickley at all.
Guess it does not exist. :)
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

melsav wrote:
denimini wrote:An enlightened guide, but where is "Crickley Comprehensive School"?
Sorry, I have no idea. Probably something made up. :lol:
I would offhand hazard a guess that it's entirely fictional.