Hello from Slovakia

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
andrewsh

Hello from Slovakia

Post by andrewsh »

Ahojte everyone,

(I’ve been around here for some time, and finally decided I need to introduce myself here. Since I use a nickname based on my real name, I was at first a bit cautious about the idea, but since most people I’m worried about already know about me wearing skirts at times, and I don’t consider that’s a thing to be ashamed of, I’m not afraid of anyone finding this and associating with me as a person IRL.)

The first I saw a man wearing something that doesn’t resemble trousers but rather a skirt was at a conference, where a few people were wearing these custom-made Scottish-like kilts. That, however, didn’t make me go and buy a kilt, but I kept telling people about how great the Debian community, we even have an official kilt tartan.

This summer, which (as most summers) is quite hot in the capital of Slovakia (up to 34°C), I was wearing quite light shorts, and it was still very hot, and I was sweating quite a lot. That made me remember the protest boys in Exeter had, and I started thinking: that’s really unfair men don’t wear skirts, that would help a lot in such weather. I googled, and found that in fact relatively lots of people thought the same (including builders, French bus drivers, more people in Europe and even some guys in Minnesota).

Well, I thought, it’s not that unreasonable then. At first, I rejected the idea of getting a proper kilt (at least) during the summer after the friends owning kilts (traditional and utility kits) told me most of them are warm enough wearing a kilt even during the winter, so I went ahead and supported the Skirtcraft’s new project, and also ordered the original denim skirt from them. The holiday was a few days away, so I attacked a local second hand shop and found a skirt which looked almost like it were a Scottish kilt (even though it wasn’t), and it was exactly my size, so for €3 it was mine.

My girlfriend did not initially understand the idea, but when I assured her just because I wear a skirt I’m not going to turn into a girl one day she became more relaxed (and supportive) about it and said she actually likes the idea as long as the rest of the clothes matches and doesn’t make me look feminine :) The skirt from the second hand shop was successfully tested in Italy, where it surprisingly attracted much less attention than my (at first very prominently) blue hair. When we’ve got back from Italy, the Skirtcraft skirt arrived, and I’ve worn it for two weeks straight after that. (I had to pay customs fees for it, and I’ve got a funny look from the customs officer: So, what’s in the package? What? A manskirt? For you, I presume? Huh? Are you actually going to wear it? Well well… Okay!)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hello from Slovakia

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:welcome:
Welcome to the cafe andrewsh!
Please enjoy your stay with us and join in om the conversations.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Hello!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Hello and welcome, andrewsh!

Another new member who has the good fortune to have a woman who is supportive of his skirt-wearing. Things are looking up!

I wore a skirt in Italy, and I got a lot of funny looks. Mind you, I was wearing tights as well (Venice at the start of April was chilly), so twice the surprise for everyone. But I didn't have blue hair; maybe I should try that as well some time.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Hello and welcome from S W U K. I find simple wearing of suitable comfortable skirts with male clothes is the uncomplicated way forward
for the " Men in Skirts ". The smartly dressed male in an alternative fashion is accepted by the female............weeladdie
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

andrewsh wrote:Ahojte everyone,

(I’ve been around here for some time, and finally decided I need to introduce myself here. Since I use a nickname based on my real name, I was at first a bit cautious about the idea, but since most people I’m worried about already know about me wearing skirts at times, and I don’t consider that’s a thing to be ashamed of, I’m not afraid of anyone finding this and associating with me as a person IRL.)

The first I saw a man wearing something that doesn’t resemble trousers but rather a skirt was at a conference, where a few people were wearing these custom-made Scottish-like kilts. That, however, didn’t make me go and buy a kilt, but I kept telling people about how great the Debian community, we even have an official kilt tartan.

This summer, which (as most summers) is quite hot in the capital of Slovakia (up to 34°C), I was wearing quite light shorts, and it was still very hot, and I was sweating quite a lot. That made me remember the protest boys in Exeter had, and I started thinking: that’s really unfair men don’t wear skirts, that would help a lot in such weather. I googled, and found that in fact relatively lots of people thought the same (including builders, French bus drivers, more people in Europe and even some guys in Minnesota).

Well, I thought, it’s not that unreasonable then. At first, I rejected the idea of getting a proper kilt (at least) during the summer after the friends owning kilts (traditional and utility kits) told me most of them are warm enough wearing a kilt even during the winter, so I went ahead and supported the Skirtcraft’s new project, and also ordered the original denim skirt from them. The holiday was a few days away, so I attacked a local second hand shop and found a skirt which looked almost like it were a Scottish kilt (even though it wasn’t), and it was exactly my size, so for €3 it was mine.

My girlfriend did not initially understand the idea, but when I assured her just because I wear a skirt I’m not going to turn into a girl one day she became more relaxed (and supportive) about it and said she actually likes the idea as long as the rest of the clothes matches and doesn’t make me look feminine :) The skirt from the second hand shop was successfully tested in Italy, where it surprisingly attracted much less attention than my (at first very prominently) blue hair. When we’ve got back from Italy, the Skirtcraft skirt arrived, and I’ve worn it for two weeks straight after that. (I had to pay customs fees for it, and I’ve got a funny look from the customs officer: So, what’s in the package? What? A manskirt? For you, I presume? Huh? Are you actually going to wear it? Well well… Okay!)
Hi from a Skirtcraft skirt owner too. I've got 4 of them , 2 grey, 1 black and 1 khaki. Allthough i'm a Transgender Woman now, I started out wearing skirts as a man, and very happy about that. Even my wife liked the skirts then and we are still happy with each other, even when ik told my wife I was transgender and wanted to transition into a woman some day. happy skirting 8)
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Welcome to the SkirtCafe Andrewsh!

Now that you're officially a member, be sure to look at the Pics and Looks section. You will see that we wear all kinds of things without negative consequence so don't feel you have to restrict yourself to Skirtcraft, Utilikilts, et. al. I have never bought any of their wares and have often bought items new at department stores.

So do what feels right to you and good luck!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
skirtingseattle

Post by skirtingseattle »

Hello,

My wife and I were in Bratislava this past July and I wore several of my kilts while we were there. I always attract a lot of attention because I am exceptionally hansome, :D although my wife says it is because of the kilts I wear. I think she is just jealouse because I get more attention than she does.

It was the perfect time of the year to be wearing a skirt, and on that trip I had three different ones to choose from: navy blue, grey, and forest camouflage.

Never look back.

Chris
andrewsh

Post by andrewsh »

weeladdie18 wrote:Hello and welcome from S W U K. I find simple wearing of suitable comfortable skirts with male clothes is the uncomplicated way forward
for the " Men in Skirts ". The smartly dressed male in an alternative fashion is accepted by the female............weeladdie
True. By the way, I’ve worn the Skirtcraft’s skirt in London and SW England (Exeter) this summer. Going there literally in two days, but probably not going to wear skirts since the weather forecast doesn’t seem very skirt-friendly to me :)
Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:Now that you're officially a member, be sure to look at the Pics and Looks section. You will see that we wear all kinds of things without negative consequence so don't feel you have to restrict yourself to Skirtcraft, Utilikilts, et. al. I have never bought any of their wares and have often bought items new at department stores.
To be honest, I probably will restrict myself to a more conservative style since I believe just wearing skirts or blue hair doesn’t necessarily make a person look feminine on its own, but nevertheless I would like to stay in certain bounds, you know :D It’s not the consequences I’m concerned about, it’s just that it is not quite my cup of tea.
skirtingseattle wrote:My wife and I were in Bratislava this past July and I wore several of my kilts while we were there. I always attract a lot of attention because I am exceptionally hansome, :D although my wife says it is because of the kilts I wear. I think she is just jealouse because I get more attention than she does.
That’s awesome! :D To be honest, I haven’t seen many men in skirts or kilts around here. Last year, there was a football match (I believe) between a local team and a team from Scotland, so a lot of Scottish fans came around speaking almost, but not quite unintelligibly to the members of the local public, and often also wearing kilts. This year, I’ve seen some English people on a stag do wearing skirts, but probably the point they were trying to make wasn’t quite the same :)