Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by skirtingtoday »

I was out at the Edinburgh Fringe taking in a couple of shows and saw three different skirted men (excluding kilts!)
One was a shaggy mop-haired fellow with a beard and a denim jacket paired with a box-pleat miniskirt (to mid thigh) and a rock guitar tuning up on an open air stage. The missus rolled her eyes when she saw it.
The second was a guy walking along the street wearing a mustard jacket and mid-shin black pleated skirt.
The third was three men in full length black Victorian dresses from as show they were in.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

While I was on the crude we went on a shore excursion in Victoria, British Columbia I had saw a elder man and his wife in customary India dress. I was in Settle, Washington with my OH and one of my sisters with her man when a guy wearing a kilt came up to me and asked where I had gotten the camo kilt that I had on I told him that it was a 511 tactical kilt, he said that he was into paint ball games.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Mrs C and I went to Salisbury a few weeks ago. We were in a shop and a middle-aged man came up to me and asked if that was a Utilikilt I was wearing (it was an olive Unionkilt), and where did I get it. I put him right and told him the web address. Hopefully we have another convert :D
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

asked where I had gotten the camo kilt that I had on I told him that it was a 511 tactical kilt, he said that he was into paint ball games.
My son bought me a 511 tactical kilt. I have worn it to a Mets baseball game and to see one of my clients. The kilts that the 511 company sold were great for those of us who are not familiar with true kilts.

For some reason they seemed to have stopped selling them. I hope they bring them back.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:For some reason [511] seemed to have stopped selling [tactical kilts]. I hope they bring them back.
The history of the "tactical kilt" is actually a bit funny -- the entire notion started off life as an April Fools' joke -- and it turns out that they got a decent number of orders and actually went ahead and produced a small run. Later on they had to bring it back because of the popularity. This points up that there is a market out there, even in the hyper-macho world.

Did they actually drop the product or are they merely out of stock?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

It looks like they are trying to just sell off inventory . They have been out of many items for 5 or 6 months limited sizes etc
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

I beleave that they are selling off old stock and that they will bring out new stock around April first.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Bikerkilt wrote:I beleave that they are selling off old stock and that they will bring out new stock around April first.
I had a look at their site (and the site realises that I'm in Australia so pushes me to their Australian site which does not have any mention of the tactical kilt) and they did not seem to have new stock over the March/April period this year.

I did find military1st.com.au which does advertise a tactical kilt that looks identical to that on the US 5.11 site, they had limited stock, and I emailed them and they said that they were getting more stock in as they had sold more than they had expected.
Then the other day on faceplant marketplace there was a fellow selling two utility kilts, new, that he bought from wish.com, and they delivered the wrong size, and this seller is local here in Brisbane, so there's other utility kilt wearers around Brisbane...
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I saw a man in a brown utility kilt at a local festival. With about 40000 people at it. It's amazing really when it's wall to wall people. I could have easily been less than 4 feet away and never saw him. I saw him 3 times total that night. The third time I saw him was after a fireworks display finished. I was able to approach him, ask him where he got his kilt. Told him that I wear kilts but had decided not to that night, suggested he check into some of the face book kilt groups if he had not already. Told him he was the best dressed man I had seen all night, and bid him farewell. He told me he wears them to work, and his wife bought him one of his kilts. (Lucky man)
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

My wife and I went to see a movie yesterday. Mondays are "Senior Discount" day. I wore a short skirt, and after parking, walking to the entrance, standing in line to buy a ticket, finding our theater, finding our seat, watching the movie, leaving, visiting the restroom, and returning to our car, no one noticed, stared, snickered, or said anything. No one sees or cares. I was the most comfortable man in the theater. I used a stall in the restroom.

Happy-N-Skirts
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I thought it would be a big step to wear a skirt outside my own house and property until I tried it. It was really a very small step once you get used to it, which takes about ten minutes.

I would suggest anyone to visit a hiking trail, nature preserve, state or national park. You are sure not to run into anyone you know, and no one else really cares. I have only been noticed once and a lady was very complimentary and asked where I bought my skirt because she liked it. We had a brief discussion and she was wearing a skirt for the same reason I was; freedom, comfort, and staying dry. She and her female companion were very nice. Since then I have been in most places wearing a skirt. I haven't tried a hardware store or auto parts yet. A lot of pharmacies, restaurants, clothing stores, grocery stores, etc.

I was out photographing yesterday and stopped at a deli to buy a lunch to bring with me to the mountains, a convenience store to buy a bottle of water, a gas station, all of them while wearing a skirt. When I got home I was unpacking my truck and greeted my next door neighbor lady and we had a chat about several small talk and neighborhood chatter. I was still wearing a tee shirt and a short camo pattern skirt slightly above my knee. She has seen me several times while wearing a skirt but she has never commented. I showed her what I had on once and she smiled and asked what I had on under my skirt. I told her it was a secret.

For those who are still too timid, go ahead and try a skirt in public. What is the worst that could happen? It won't and you will be pleasantly surprised.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:I thought it would be a big step to wear a skirt outside my own house and property until I tried it. It was really a very small step once you get used to it, which takes about ten minutes.

I would suggest anyone to visit a hiking trail, nature preserve, state or national park. You are sure not to run into anyone you know, and no one else really cares. I have only been noticed once and a lady was very complimentary and asked where I bought my skirt because she liked it. We had a brief discussion and she was wearing a skirt for the same reason I was; freedom, comfort, and staying dry. She and her female companion were very nice. Since then I have been in most places wearing a skirt. I haven't tried a hardware store or auto parts yet. A lot of pharmacies, restaurants, clothing stores, grocery stores, etc.

I was out photographing yesterday and stopped at a deli to buy a lunch to bring with me to the mountains, a convenience store to buy a bottle of water, a gas station, all of them while wearing a skirt. When I got home I was unpacking my truck and greeted my next door neighbor lady and we had a chat about several small talk and neighborhood chatter. I was still wearing a tee shirt and a short camo pattern skirt slightly above my knee. She has seen me several times while wearing a skirt but she has never commented. I showed her what I had on once and she smiled and asked what I had on under my skirt. I told her it was a secret.

For those who are still too timid, go ahead and try a skirt in public. What is the worst that could happen? It won't and you will be pleasantly surprised.
I would say that your post would be fair comment in SW UK. I have no trouble with my summers skirts , pencil skirts and A Line Skirts
I usually wear my skirts with a male sports jacket with plenty of pockets......weeladdie
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Saw a man in a grey denim pencil skirt, green polo shirt, black slides (sandals)... but just me in mirror before heading off to work :lol:

It would be nice to see more sightings in this part of town, but I think they must all be on Tumblr nowadwys :blue: :roll:
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I am posting in this thread for reasons which will become obvious.....Yesterday I went out for breakfast wearing one of my summer skirts......later in the day I changed into my traditional Scottish Kilt and Argyl Jacket to visit the local annual art and handicraft exhibition......
In the evening I changed again and wore an A Line skirt to buy some Fish and chips and visit a local beauty spot. .......no comment all day.....
In this part of the world....where we get many International Visitors , I have not seen either a " Man in a Skirt " or a Kiltie for over a year....
It is worth noting that as I successfully wear my skirts regularly no one bothers to pass comment ........I am am quite happy to be left alone and wear my skirts as I see fit.
When I go out in the evening I will probably only see one female in a skirt.
Is this a general comment for sighting in the wild or do the sightings of male and female wearing the skirt for leisure vary from region to region ?
........weeladdie in S.W. Cornwall U.K.
saltwood

Post by saltwood »

I have only ever seen one other man wear a skirt hereabouts and that was last Summer (2017). Plenty of kilts during wedding season and we do have an annual highland shindig in town where there are kilted men in abundance. There is also a chap I see from time to time who wanders about in a tutu, crop top, knee-highs and a woolly hat. So, not that rare here in my part of Hertfordshire. As for women wearing skirts there are plenty although this summer teeny-tiny shorts have been de rigueur for ladies in their teens and twenties, longer shorts for 30s and 40s and culottes and harem pants for others. A real mix really. Interestingly, TK Maxx's selection of skirts this year has been terrible (volume and choice). New Look, Next and all the on-line retailers have massive choices.