Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:My Mrs and I went for a walk along the seafront (and past the nuclear power station, but that doesn't sound quite so nice), [...]
The water is at least likely to be a bit warmer than most of the other beaches depending on where the outlet pipes are... I see nothing unromantic about it in the least.
[...] I in my fairly new jeans skirt (fairly new to me :wink:), it fits very well and it doesn't ride up in the least. We went on a sunny afternoon when a lot of people would be there, though I really don't care these days if people react or not, lol. Quite a lot of "up-down" glances from pretty much everyone except small children, but no comments. It perfectly visible but nobody cares enough to say anything!
Isn't it nice to have "the other half" on side! Bravo.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Mark as in Mark
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mark as in Mark »

kilty wrote: A few quick 'up - down' glances from a group of boys who passed, but no comments as such. It really is invisible denim!

Treated myself to a royal blue formal skirt for work on Monday. It will be around 77F so I may wear it with a light blue shirt like Mark :lol:
I am sure you looked a lot better that that bald-headed old man!
skirtyscot wrote: Quite a lot of "up-down" glances from pretty much everyone except small children, but no comments. It perfectly visible but nobody cares enough to say anything!
I find that children often shout out "hey mommy, look at that man in a dress!" Then everybody in the area turns to look. Otherwise no one would have noticed. I did once have a small little girl smile and wave at me one time. :)

I was told I have balls for wearing skirts! My reply? "That's because balls this big won't fit in pants!"

https://www.pinterest.de/Mark_as_in_Mark/me/
https://www.instagram.com/markbryan911/
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I posted it on the café, About 2 years ago I was in the waiting room of my car dealer , waiting for them to finish servicing my car I was called up to the counter and as I walked up this little 6 year old girl yells out look mom he is wearing a skirt.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Mark as in Mark wrote:
kilty wrote: A few quick 'up - down' glances from a group of boys who passed, but no comments as such. It really is invisible denim!

Treated myself to a royal blue formal skirt for work on Monday. It will be around 77F so I may wear it with a light blue shirt like Mark :lol:
I am sure you looked a lot better that that bald-headed old man!
skirtyscot wrote: Quite a lot of "up-down" glances from pretty much everyone except small children, but no comments. It perfectly visible but nobody cares enough to say anything!
I find that children often shout out "hey mommy, look at that man in a dress!" Then everybody in the area turns to look. Otherwise no one would have noticed. I did once have a small little girl smile and wave at me one time. :)

JeffB waves back at them :lol: It is tricky dealing with kids, as they just tell it like it is :shock:

I'm sure your ensembles are better, I couldnt manage in your shoes, for instance :mrgreen:
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

At an ice cream social at church after the service yesterday several preschool girls looked me up and down, between my beard and my denim skirt. They didn't say anything.
DSCF2357cs.jpg
The shirt buttons are on the left, but the men's loafers still make it a manly outfit, don't you think?! (silly concept, actually!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Jim wrote:At an ice cream social at church after the service yesterday several preschool girls looked me up and down, between my beard and my denim skirt. They didn't say anything.
DSCF2357cs.jpg
The shirt buttons are on the left, but the men's loafers still make it a manly outfit, don't you think?! (silly concept, actually!)
I am sorry I didn't notice anything out of the SC ordinary - UNTIL you told me !
Even then the button placket on the shirt ah er blouse is hardly detectable.
The faux jean shorts ah er skirt just blends in.
As for the footwear as long as you aren't wearing high heels or fashion boots anything goes there also.
Wearing the blouse tucked into the skirt may give a different look but the hem line of the blouse does
not look like much could be tucked in and stay that way.

Congrats you have passed the SC inspection with no need for stamp of approval !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

North American Continental Divide

Post by Caultron »

IMG_20180818_134221_sm.jpg
(near Grand Lake, Colorado. Skirtcraft Unaligned Skirt.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Nice shot.

It looks like they are dividing the USA for thousands of years. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

beachlion wrote:Nice shot.

It looks like they are dividing the USA for thousands of years. ;)
It was a long chilly day. I felt drained.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Be very careful at the Continental Divide location !
That is were single pipe skirts are divided into twin single pipes - - -
fortunately not mated into pants at least that is what I think that happens !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Some weeks ago, I dropped into a Sainsbury's in Edinburgh and bought a dress: simple navy blue corduroy. A quick change in the car park and I was really comfortable on a hot day (ladies corduroy fabric is much thinner than men's). I drove to my usual spot at The Gyle for a meal before heading to my band practice. The branch of Dorothy Perkins was advertising a closing down sale. So in said dress, I entered and found an acrylic stretch knee length pencil skirt for £3 and a faux leather one for £10.

Happily bought a meal and sat for the duration in the food court before driving to band practice. Had to change as I'm not yet prepared to parade there in a skirt or dress. I must agree that dresses can be quite comfortable. Unfortunately, I found this one too short and returned it a few days later.

Owing to a heated exchange at home, I got rid of my long leather skirt (now regretting that) and cut out skirts for a while. The first real opportunity came on a working visit to London. The temperatures were very high. So on coming out of the day's meeting, I found a clean public toilet and donned the stretch skirt. It was very comfortable, though I'm not sure it went with my office shoes and black socks! (I always travel light, usually with just a rucksack, to avoid the possibility of an enforced bag check at the airport.) I enjoyed being cool on the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) and flying back to Edinburgh. There then followed a quick change in the car, so as not to provoke unnecessary arguments at home.

I would love to come to the place where we can at least discuss the issue, even if it means agreeing on limited circumstances for wearing skirts. However, there is some progress, as my new value black kilt (mentioned elsewhere) has received praise and acceptance!
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

I was in Edinburgh too this week. On my way through Braidburn Park with my wife, heading for a walk in the hills, I was stopped by one of the locals who was pushing a pram with his wife. I feared that he was about to upbraid me for cultural misappropriation, but instead I got a blast of compliments on my camouflage utility kilt -- it's one of the rip-stop cotton kind. This was all the more pleasing for being delivered in an Edinburgh accent....

We're off soon for a mountain walking holiday in the Dolomites of northern Italy, and I'm planning to wear the kilt there too -- with my wife's approval (she knows I keep up with her better in a kilt). However, I've been a little disturbed by ominous warnings in this forum about wearing skirts in Italy. So I'm wondering how it will go. I am reassuring myself with the thought that the kilt-makers of http://www.rettl.com are less than 100 miles away across the border in Austria, and that it's a German speaking area anyway.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

geron wrote:I was in Edinburgh too this week. On my way through Braidburn Park with my wife, heading for a walk in the hills, I was stopped by one of the locals who was pushing a pram with his wife. I feared that he was about to upbraid me for cultural misappropriation, but instead I got a blast of compliments on my camouflage utility kilt -- it's one of the rip-stop cotton kind. This was all the more pleasing for being delivered in an Edinburgh accent....

We're off soon for a mountain walking holiday in the Dolomites of northern Italy, and I'm planning to wear the kilt there too -- with my wife's approval (she knows I keep up with her better in a kilt). However, I've been a little disturbed by ominous warnings in this forum about wearing skirts in Italy. So I'm wondering how it will go. I am reassuring myself with the thought that the kilt-makers of http://www.rettl.com are less than 100 miles away across the border in Austria, and that it's a German speaking area anyway.
I think you will be OK in Italy - isn't there a men's skirt make called Mr. Kirt based in the country???
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

renesm1 wrote:
geron wrote:I think you will be OK in Italy - isn't there a men's skirt make called Mr. Kirt based in the country???
So there is! Thank you for that reminder. What's more, I see that every skirt pictured on his website is marked 'sold out', which must be good news for skirting in Italy.
andrewsh

Post by andrewsh »

geron wrote:
renesm1 wrote:
geron wrote:I think you will be OK in Italy - isn't there a men's skirt make called Mr. Kirt based in the country???
So there is! Thank you for that reminder. What's more, I see that every skirt pictured on his website is marked 'sold out', which must be good news for skirting in Italy.
They’re sold out since they went on holiday — I guess it was the easiest way to prevent customers from making purchases before they get back :)

Speaking of skirts in Italy — I guess it depends. During our holiday, I had blue hair and often wore a tartan-patterned skirt. In a village by the sea, people turned their heads every time they saw the blue hair while it was very blue (before the sea water washed out the colour), even without a skirt. When the colour faded out, nobody would mind it or the skirt.