Watchdog succession.

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Watchdog succession.

Post by Kirbstone »

Regulars here will have seen many posts from me relating to my dogs and in particular our ever-faithful adorable 98 lb German Shepherd, 'Benjy'.

As he had passed the twelve-year-old landmark we were mindful that for him, time was now short. We recently attended an open day at our County local animal rescue service where we spied a nine-month-old male German Shepherd the image of our Benjy needing a home. We agreed to take him on and give him a home here, so initially he could be Benjy's companion and eventual successor.

Alas and without drama, Benjy passed away in his sleep last Wednesday and didn't live to meet his successor, who has not joined us yet, so we are eagerly awaiting his arrival.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Watchdog succession.

Post by trainspotter48 »

Tom,
You have my sympathies. Our furry friends don't have as long on this planet as we do, and it's always sad when they say goodbye.
I hope Benjy's successor arrives soon.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

That is a sad story but it is the story of life.
The good memories will stay and you get the possibilty to give a new dog a good home and a good companion.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Tom, I am sad at your news but you will have fond memories and photographs of him.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

We have 5 dogs currently. We lost two last year and it stil hurts. I found this poem years ago and it is so nice.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Tom, I am saddened by the news of Benjy's passing; he was a close companion of yours and very much part of the family. Cherish the good times, though, because those are the stuff of magic.

That portrait of him, alert and looking over the river, is absolutely beautiful. Have that one framed and hang it in a place of honour in your home.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Sorry to hear of your loss. It is like losing a member of one's family (possibly worse than some members).
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Thank you guys for your very kind words. Thank you also FFA for that poem 'Rainbow Bridge'. I had never heard of it before.

Submitted is a scan (hence the indifferent quality) of a pic of four of our faithful furry friends, alas all now departed. The collies were all Millennium siblings and the first to go was the fellow at left in 2015. The lady lying in front followed in 2016 and the last to go was the little one, who survived until late 2017. Now Benjy has joined them.

We have however, three other dogs and when Benjy's successor arrives our dog-count will be four.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Tom I was so sorry to hear of the passing of Benjy. :( :sorry: :cry:
I know just how hard it is to lose ones four legged children as I have lost two myself. They will forever be in your heart and mind.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Tom, sorry to hear that you have lost an old family friend ...they do become part of the family life..I picked a dog out of a litter when he was
a couple of days old ...I spent days of my boyhood out in the fields and the woods with my friend. He loved chasing hares and digging up
mole runs....He barked at gypsies and travelling salesmen , he loved swimming in the sea but would not go out in the rain...a very wise dog.
He knew when my father was coming home on his motor cycle and which day the butcher was coming with his bones.

His mother was a wire haired spaniel cross Labrador , and his father was a Labrador gun dog. He looked like a very large beagle .
So we called him a " Leagal " Reminds me of my teenage years....I still remember him and I will have another birthday tomorrow .
I will be over seventy again... .............weeladdie
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Thanks, WL, We had an old vicarage for a time in Hereforeshire where practically all its 5 acres were riddled with mole hills. They're a real pest when quite so numerous. We were advised to get a heavy vibrating roller for the tennis lawn, which only partially worked.

Fortunately moles didn't make it across to Ireland after the Ice Age, so we have none here Country-wide. The snakes didn't get here either.

Ah yes! Birthdays with a seven in front...Have a good one. My next one, I've decided, will be my 59th. Gives meaning to the expression 'Many happy returns!'

Tom
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Tom, as a dog owner, I feel your loss. Cherish the memories.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Great news....Our new Benjy has arrived. MOH picked him up from the rescue home yesterday and he has alrady made friends with all our other dogs here.

We have no proper halty-lead for him yet, so no walkies until one had been found. Initial pics taken today in a yard, but it's not hard to see A/ his uncanny resemblance to our old departed Benjy but also glean his very friendly nature, evident in his face.

Old Benjy had had police-style obedience training and we will arrange that for new Benjy ASAP as that makes life a lot easier. We're delighted to have him, of course and we just couldn't call him any name other than Benjy. He is just 10 months old, still a puppy really and we hope he'll give us joy for ten-odd years to come.

Tom
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I can see that you have a lot of emotional attachment to the name Benjy but you could always call him just Ben or Bentoo ( Ben two ). Looks as if he will be a handful for you. I had dogs and cats as I grew up but MOH is a cat person whilst I have Rosie, my African Grey Parrot.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Lovely looking dog, he will be fun to have around for along time. :D

John