Holy skirt day

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Holy skirt day

Post by SkirtsDad »

Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Holy skirt day

Post by Sinned »

I would be all for it and a one day a week for skirts only would be a good first step. At the moment in deference to MOH I try and have every other day as a skirt day. I don't always manage it but it's an attainable goal to go for. Today is a skirt day.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

While I believe that the church "powers that be" are overreacting a bit in regards to what God wants to see men (or women) wear on Sunday, I have to say I was surprised by the article. My first thought from reading the headline was that this was going to be a church that required women to wear skirts.

After reading it about three times to ensure I didn't miss something, I finally accepted the fact that they are talking about men being forced to wear skirts.

Afterwards, my reaction was... "well... that was different"

This is an interesting article for a number of reasons. It's VERY interesting because it really highlights how CULTURE dictates what people wear, NOT God.

It can be the exact same religion! And yet, in different cultures the rules are completely contrary to one another...

In Appalachia, men wearing skirts is an abomination unto God almighty....

In Fiji, men NOT wearing skirts in an abomination unto God almighty....

SAME RELIGION! I swear you can't make this stuff up!

As for my opinion on the actual matter of men being forced to wear skirts. Well, as if it matters what I think, I don't think anyone should be forced into wear what they don't want to, especially over a silly religious reason. But, it's not in the U.S., nor my culture, not really my problem. But I would imagine God is probably laughing her ass off at the human race, especially over silliness like this.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

moonshadow wrote: ....
This is an interesting article for a number of reasons. It's VERY interesting because it really highlights how CULTURE dictates what people wear, NOT God.

It can be the exact same religion! And yet, in different cultures the rules are completely contrary to one another...

In Appalachia, men wearing skirts is an abomination unto God almighty....

In Fiji, men NOT wearing skirts in an abomination unto God almighty....

SAME RELIGION! I swear you can't make this stuff up!

[image omitted]

As for my opinion on the actual matter of men being forced to wear skirts. Well, as if it matters what I think, I don't think anyone should be forced into wear what they don't want to, especially over a silly religious reason. But, it's not in the U.S., nor my culture, not really my problem. But I would imagine God is probably laughing her ass off at the human race, especially over silliness like this.
First, I'll say I basically agree with you. You are correct this is about culture. To some people formality shows respect; that's what the different rules are about. That seems more than a "silly religious reason". Personally, I think we show our respect to our maker best when we come before God the way he made us, not hiding his (I use the word inclusively) creation with human-made stuff.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

There are 2 subjects , the discussion of which should be prohibited on the café. One is politics the other is religion. Some people take religion very lightly some don't, And those of us who take it seriously find casual wisecracking comments even made in jest insulting
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

And if you check the rules both are allowed if pertaining to men wearing skirts as most people here no doubt understand acceptable clothing can be a religious and sometimes political thing.

Its not always about matching colors and selfies.

I could have went much deeper into my interpriations of biblical law and history but I refrained as it has less to do with skirts and thus against policy. I do understand the concept of respect with regards to what folks wear to church service. I have my own thoughts on divine respect, however it hasn't much to do with men wearing skirts so I refrain from it here out respect to the moderators on account of those with religious sensibilities.

On that note I may write about it on my site later for those interested.

Anyway.... be cool man. Nobody's perfect and sometimes I do go 59 in a 55 speed zone.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

oldsalt1 wrote:There are 2 subjects , the discussion of which should be prohibited on the café. One is politics the other is religion. Some people take religion very lightly some don't, And those of us who take it seriously find casual wisecracking comments even made in jest insulting
Firstly, I think that religion (read Christianity for the most part) is big enough to take care of itself. If people insult you because of your belief that that's a different matter all together. I am 100% sure admin would come down very quickly on anyone doing that. Similarly there would be many members that would also support you and help fight your corner.

Secondly, religion has changed over the years because people have challenge it. Mostly, I believe, changes has been for the better. No longer in the West do we burn people because we think they might be witches; gays are welcomed into many churches. There is still a witch hunt.... for priests who didn't accept gays but went round buggering choir boys and were moved on from church to church.

Perhaps if the religious stopped deciding how the rest of us should live then we may not feel the need to talk about it so much. Have your belief but let people burn in hell if they want to.... just because one interpretation of the bible says we shouldn't wear skirts!!!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I don't have a problem with discussing what people should or shouldn't wear to church.

I have no problem with members giving their own interpretation of what is written in the bible.

My own attire at mass has been the subject of numerous discussions on the café.

I think the discussions were very useful to myself and others who are wrestling with the Idea of what is proper church apparel.

My point of objection is when someone makes a personal reference to the persona of God as a joke.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

oldsalt1 wrote:My point of objection is when someone makes a personal reference to the persona of God as a joke.
Why not just let it go? You know, like turn the other cheek and all that...
-Andrea
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Ok I will let it go. but instead of having to add one more sarcastic comment , you could have removed the offending statement
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I understand your concern and I do apologize for any offence given, however I generally stand by my remarks on religious matters and don't remove them. I'm old school that way. I may be wrong, but I stand by my words. Now if a mod wants to remove them then that's up to them.

If I'm in error then I will make good on the correction. But as for the comment... as the old preachers used to say... "truth will stand when the world's on fire..."
-Andrea
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Having read this discussion and give some thought to it I do not know God's sex. So If some call him a male that is fine, if some call her a female that is fine. Many don't call God anything but God and that is fine too.

Just wear your skirts and be comfortable. I do! :!: :!:

And may you all be blessed by the God of your choice. :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Without wishing to prolong a sensitive topic, what exactly was it that gave offence? I saw no malice, slight or sarcasm in Moon's post. Observational humour, yes - which made me smile.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

If for a second Moon truly believed that god was a laughing woman I would standby and defend his right to say it. But when he throws out a comment in jest than and he finds that it is insulting to someone , than he adamantly stands by his decision to say it he can ……………..
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

A long-standing mostly solo comedian on BBC named Dave Allen, who peppered his programmes with totally harmless religious jokes and sketches, used always sign off with the expression:
'May your God go with you'. Alas he passed away aged only 73 and is much missed

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !