Fabric recommendations

For those do-it-yourselfers...
Mercury

Re: Fabric recommendations

Post by Mercury »

I looked on ebay too. It was disappointing.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

You need an ad-on low shank adapter like this.
http://www.homesew.com/Snap-on-Adapter/ ... nfo/MN113/

With this on your machine, you can use all click-on feet. A lot of dimensions on Singer machines are the same as when they started. Even the screw to fasten the adapter to the shank has a special Singer thread.
P1010312q.jpg
This is the situation with my Singer I bought a few year ago. The shank, the vertical rod that goes up in the machine should be similar to your version. This is called the short shank.
P1010313q.jpg
The adapter and presser foot are removed.
P1010314q.jpg
This is the adapter with the zipper foot.

You have two options. One is finding a zipper foot that mounts to the shank directly (difficult) and two is buying the adapter and the click-on zipper (or other) foot. The last option is easy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

Thanks for the help. I will look into it.
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

I did finish that skirt I was talking about. I went to Joann's and I found an invisible zipper foot that works on my machine. I think I will start putting in invisible zippers more often. It wasn't that difficult.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I have not used invisible zippers yet. Maybe I should try it for my next project.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

I remember buying one but I can't see where it is now.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I still have my mothers hand operated singer with a belt drive electric motor fitted when I was too old to turn the handle for her....
must be over sixty years old....Has a right angled lid .....not the earlier model with a curved top.....possibly post war....weeladdie
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

weeladdie18 wrote:I still have my mothers hand operated singer with a belt drive electric motor fitted when I was too old to turn the handle for her....
must be over sixty years old....Has a right angled lid .....not the earlier model with a curved top.....possibly post war....weeladdie
My grandmothers machine (Singer) was a rocking treadle pedal model - the rocking motion of the pedal kept the machine stitching and sewing - stop and
the stitching stopped there for any corrections or further alterations. When the option came along to go with the full electric machine she declined - it just wasn't
her kind of sewing. She taught me a lot about simple easy to do alterations to men's clothing. At that age I was not into skirts or dresses kilts or any of the
unbifurcated gear that I wear today. I do have my own electric machine and a serger which I am beginning to learn more about. The new modern machines are
really neat in that they have the stitches pre-programed and one does not need to fit in the special cog wheels to duplicate replicate stitching.
Amazing all the attachments that can be fitted to the presser zipper foot button hole devices - only set back is the sewing industry has not developed like the
computer keyboard printing machines with back space erase cut do-over - so remember to not to sew further than the stitches you will have to rip out by hand !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !