On crossdressing

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Re: On crossdressing

Post by beachlion »

I just realized the sub-header of this subject is as follows:

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.

For an illegal subject, it is quite interesting. The intensity of my following is about 50% because all of the resident experts seem to have their own view on this Jell-O-ish subject and I don't feel any connection with the subject as such.

Happy debating anyway. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

beachlion wrote:...For an illegal subject, it is quite interesting....
To me this is a gray area, but it seems we have a fair number of members who like wearing skirts but completely oppose any suggestion they might be even 1% transvestites or crossdressers.

But it's true the main topic is supposed to be men presenting as male but wearing a skirt, and not about being a drag queen or presenting oneself totally as female.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Caultron wrote:
beachlion wrote:...For an illegal subject, it is quite interesting....
To me this is a gray area, but it seems we have a fair number of members who like wearing skirts but completely oppose any suggestion they might be even 1% transvestites or crossdressers.

But it's true the main topic is supposed to be men presenting as male but wearing a skirt, and not about being a drag queen or presenting oneself totally as female.
To the rest of the world we might be percieved as such, as it's just not common, but thankfully the world of fashion seems to send quite a few skirted men down the catwalk :mrgreen: I may sit as a lady while skirted, and sit to pee (just easier skirted :oops: ) but I still present as male. I guess association with the term crossdressers is negative as the post above shows :wink:
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I was just making a little fun of the situation. That is how I tick.

And speaking of peeing: a few weeks ago I went to the nude beach (Gunnison Beach at Sandy Hook, NJ). I went to the beach in a skirt. Leaving the beach in a skirt of course, I felt the need to use the bathroom. It was the first time for me to need to go when out in a skirt. I have never thought about this and I had not made up a plan where to go, male or female side. To avoid all complications, I used the male section. Using the lower urinal (for the little boys) was easy enough. A few guys were changing there and were naked so I fitted right in.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

kilty wrote:I may sit as a lady while skirted, and sit to pee (just easier skirted :oops: ) but I still present as male.
There's a reason for this, and it's not a male-vs-female thing, it's a skirt thing. The same argument gets used in the world of guys with long hair -- which requires different tactics to deal with than short hair. Heaven knows that I took enough stick from my parents over my hair -- and they never really did understand.

But, to the point, there's masquerade ("Orthodox Crossdressing") and there's simple selection of a type of clothing for any number of reasons -- and there doesn't have to be any connection. The question one should ask is, "Am I trying to be something I am not?" -- and if the answer is, "Yes." then it's "crossdressing".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

beachlion wrote:It was the first time for me to need to go when out in a skirt. I have never thought about this and I had not made up a plan where to go, male or female side. To avoid all complications, I used the male section. Using the lower urinal (for the little boys) was easy enough. A few guys were changing there and were naked so I fitted right in.
I can´t say that that was ever a thought for me, although very occasionally I have wondered if some people expect me to go to ´the other side´ to pee. Wearing short skirts is never a problem when it comes to stand at a urinal to pee.

Btw, I cannot imagine ever fitting in standing at a urinal surrounded by naked men lol It´s not something I have ever happened upon, and neither is it on my bucket list of must do´s :wink:
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

kilty wrote:...I guess association with the term crossdressers is negative as the post above shows...
So it would seem.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:Orthodox Crossdressing
Ha! There you have it... we're just unorthodox! :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Perhaps I could add my comments to Moon .....I see myself as "man who wears a skirt ".......I have changed my Grammar slightly.
I will wear my skirt with pride and good taste as a different style of attire. .....I will talk to my circle of female friends as a man would talk
to his female friends ...the wearing of skirts is not an issue with me...I feel we are thrashing out the possible issue of being
" Man who wears a skirt " ...by just wearing as skirt as a practical and comfortable choice of garment to wear.....

We have produced some logical history of how we came to wear skirts.....

As a Retired male , I refer to a working day as a day when I am involved in activities where it is more practical for the male and female
to both wear trousers......When I have finished my " Male activity day " ...I am now going out for breakfast to see my friends and
" watch the clouds roll by ".....For this lesure part of the day ....I am a "man who wears a skirt " for comfort to get out of my working Clothes.

The one difference is that I do not live in my home with "she who must be obeyed.

I went into the sea yesterday with families with young Kids to enjoy a sea temperature of 19 C....The pebbles on the beach were warm.

The difference between a male and female in the sea is their physical form and the style of bathing costume which the male and the female
wear.....When I dressed to wander along the beach I put on a style of skirt which a male would wear on a beach.....weeladdie
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

weeladdie18 wrote:The difference between a male and female in the sea is their physical form and the style
of bathing costume which the male and the female wear.....When I dressed to wander
along the beach I put on a style of skirt which a male would wear on a beach.....weeladdie
difference in physical form yes style not so much
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Uncle Al on Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed BBCode Quoting Format
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Welp... I'll be adding that to my library soon....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

'Twas interesting, to a point, until the very gender-neutral protagonist invoked the mythical patriarchy -- and it went swiftly down hill from there. S/He obviously hasn't taken a position fix very recently. Anything resembling a patriarchy died well over a decade ago.

The other issue I have with the matter is his/er overt presentation. This is out-and-out mimicry save for the voice. There is value in the video, but it's not exactly the sort of thing that'll get the average bloke on the street to swap trousers or shorts for a skirt.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

crfriend wrote:'Twas interesting, to a point, until the very gender-neutral protagonist invoked the mythical patriarchy -- and it went swiftly down hill from there. S/He obviously hasn't taken a position fix very recently. Anything resembling a patriarchy died well over a decade ago.

The other issue I have with the matter is his/er overt presentation. This is out-and-out mimicry save for the voice. There is value in the video, but it's not exactly the sort of thing that'll get the average bloke on the street to swap trousers or shorts for a skirt.
Knowing how anti-patriarchy what a patriarchy denier you are I was rummaging around on the internet trying to find out a bit more about contemporary perspectives when I came across the article below. Although it explains a bit about patriarchy and feminism it is more about gender roles/differences (or not!) and links well, I think, to some of the discussions on gender performance etc. that we've had here in various threads. From my reading, the conclusion (part listed below) very much relates to one of our objectives, that of being accepted by society for who we are.

"The only thing which will help our current culture wars is to accept the reality that men and women are different on average but have the same psychological and cognitive traits in overlapping degrees, that individuals could fit anywhere along the spectrum of more typically male and more typically female traits, and that very few will conform to all averages for their sex. The most productive and ethical thing we can do to reduce social pressure one way or the other and enable individuals to realize their individual potential in both interests and abilities it to prioritize treating people as individuals."

https://areomagazine.com/2018/06/19/the ... k-slatism/
Last edited by SkirtsDad on Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

SkirtsDad wrote:Knowing how anti-patriarchy you are [...]
I am neither pro- nor anti- patriarchy or matriarchy; what I am is hopeful that eventually parity will be reached where neither sex is heavily favoured either societally or legally.