Where did you first get the idea to wear a skirt?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Where did you first get the idea to wear a skirt?

Post by weeladdie18 »

With the latest warmer weather more females are wearing their skirts. ...However the female is not wearing the latest fashion skirt as
as the fashion industry has not caught up with the latest high temperatures.

Perhaps generally the male child first sees the Classical Biblical Illustrations of the simple robes and tunics worn historically
by the male in warm climates .......Historical illustrations of the traditional Male Highland Dress are very similar to the skirts worn by
our sisters in their youth.

Prewar and upto the 1980 's cross dressing and fancy dress parties were popular for all ages..........At the time of the English Coronation 1953
there were photos of the young Prince Charles in his Kilt and in our village our parents held a cross dressed football match.

School Nativity plays showed the male actors wearing traditional classical clothes......
School Drama Group plays in the Single Sex Senior Schools produced the male actors performing the female roles wearing female costumes.....

It does seem that much of this background has drawn the older mature male into the exploration of becoming a "man in a skirt ". .weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Perhaps Mercury and our other junior members will see an era when .... "men in skirts" ...become a more popular male style of attire.
It is reasonable to assume that this style of attire will be worn for comfort for leisure, by a minority .....................................
rather that as a male wishing to appear as a female. ....weeladdie
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Weeladdie - there was no such thing as the English Coronation in 1953. I believe the last one you had was in the 16th century.
Mark as in Mark
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mark as in Mark »

quick Google

The coronation of Elizabeth II as Queen of the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Pakistan, and Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) took place on 2 June 1953, at Westminster Abbey.
I was told I have balls for wearing skirts! My reply? "That's because balls this big won't fit in pants!"

https://www.pinterest.de/Mark_as_in_Mark/me/
https://www.instagram.com/markbryan911/
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Yes, that’s the coronation, Mark. It was a British coronation, not an English one. There is, of course, a distinct difference.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

:hooray:
Ray wrote:Weeladdie - there was no such thing as the English Coronation in 1953. I believe the last one you had was in the 16th century.

:hooray:
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thank you gentlemen for correcting me.....I was born in England . .....The location of the Coronation was The City of London ...
I do know that is correct as I watched the coronation on Television and saw the procession travelling through the Streets of London....

There is a famous quote from The Prime Minister during WW11 " England expects every man to do his duty....."

My Ancestors did not come from Mud Huts out in the Colonies......They came from the Celtic Lands.
Please consider where were you living in 1953 and where your Ancestors came from. .....................weeladdie
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

weeladdie18 wrote:...There is a famous quote from The Prime Minister during WW11 " England expects every man to do his duty....."
He might have said that at some time , but the famous signal "England expects that every man will do his duty" was sent by Vice Admiral Horatio Nelson at the battle of Trafalgar.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Well done Pelmut for setting Weeladdie straight on that one!

In 1953 in Co. Kildare in Ireland there was just one radio & cycles shopkeeper in our small town who had installed over his home a TV aerial tall enough to catch a sometimes not too snowy image from the BBC, transmitted from Wales.

A lot of us crowded into his sitting room and saw most of that Coronation event. I was eleven at the time.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Disaffected.citizen
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Disaffected.citizen »

weeladdie18 wrote:Thank you gentlemen for correcting me.....I was born in England . .....The location of the Coronation was The City of London ...
I do know that is correct as I watched the coronation on Television and saw the procession travelling through the Streets of London....

There is a famous quote from The Prime Minister during WW11 " England expects every man to do his duty....."

My Ancestors did not come from Mud Huts out in the Colonies......They came from the Celtic Lands.
Please consider where were you living in 1953 and where your Ancestors came from. .....................weeladdie
Sorry to be pedantic, WeeLaddie, but the Coronation took place in Westminster Abbey in the City of Westminster, Greater London. The City of London is a separate district to the east of Westminster, colloquially known as "The Square Mile" and is denoted by either EC (East City) or WC (West City) postcodes; landmarks include the Bank of England, St Paul's Cathedral, the Monument and the Tower of London. The Greater London postcodes start E (East), N (North), W (West), SW (South West) or SE (South East).
Sorry :hide:
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Disaffected.citizen wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:Thank you gentlemen for correcting me.....I was born in England . .....The location of the Coronation was The City of London ...

Sorry to be pedantic, WeeLaddie, but the Coronation took place in Westminster Abbey in the City of Westminster, Greater London. The City of London is a separate district to the east of Westminster, colloquially known as "The Square Mile" and is denoted by either EC (East City) or WC (West City) postcodes; landmarks include the Bank of England, St Paul's Cathedral, the Monument and the Tower of London. The Greater London postcodes start E (East), N (North), W (West), SW (South West) or SE (South East).
Sorry :hide:
This reminds me of how mum and dad used to fight before they broke up, and I'd sit at the top of the stairs sobbing :roll:

Weeladdie, a lot of "The Colonies" didn't live in mud huts, houses were contructed the same as Europe. Kingdoms were complex as well. They went on to form the Commonwealth. Lets return to the topic of how we discovered unbifurcated clothing. :wink:
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

back in 94 when my exwife and youngest son past away I ended up with 2 of her leather skirts from cleaning out her house. I would look at them and wonder what they would fill like to wear but they were to small. Then on another forum someone [fredinaskirt] suggested getting a skirt at a charity shop so I did and have been into skirts now for the last 4 years.
Jetblasted

Post by Jetblasted »

I got caught a few times wearing my mom’s lingerie when I was
a kid. Although I’ve never seen myself as a cross dresser, I’ve lost
count the number of times I’ve worn panties in place of men’s
underwear. I’ve never considered myself CD. I will admit a multiple
decade jealousy of girls wearing cheerleadering skirts. I played
football for 14 years, so they always had my eye. When I hit 50
I was determined to get a casual kilt for lounging around the house.
Not finding anything I really liked in kilts, I told my wife I wanted
to cut two old gym shorts apart to make a “house-kilt” as I called it.
She surprised me one day & did it for me. Further comments got
her to scan a local thrift shop & she brought home two more skirts.
I’ve worn all four rotated daily for the past six years. My favorite is
showing its age, and will have to be replaced, soon. Growing
acceptance with my new self I started shaving my legs, and have
been daily for over three years now. Currently I drink Spearmint
Tea daily, which helps limit body hair growth. I’m going to order a
home LumaRx Pro IPL Hair remover in three weeks for a Christmas
present to myself. While I do not consider myself transgender, I am
very happy to be in the middle. I spent years as a mountain man in
the North Georgia Appalachian Mountains, with a duck dynasty beard
to boot, but I much much prefer the softer side of things. I still love
my shotgun & chainsaw, but I love my skirted & shaved legs more.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thanks for your story...I have never worked out why we explore the other side of the isle ,
the way we do. .....certainly no one has explained why we choose this style of life.
It does seem to go back to our childhood. ......Certainly it is a far cry from our male lifestyle.
We become Macho and then want to dress in a skirt instead of trousers.......weeladdie
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

Several years ago I had painful groin surgery followed by a long recovery. A patient in the surgeon's office suggested I buy some women's underwear and I would be thankful. I also bought a tennis skirt to wear around the house. I read an article on the Internet about men wearing skirts or kilts for hiking. I have always been a hunter and outdoorsman so the idea appealed to me. I did a lot of walking during recovery to rebuild my strength and stamina. I was instantly hooked on wearing skirts and the feel of the breeze, comfort, and freedom.

I choose skirts that closely resemble shorts and when I buy them I am most likely to have them shortened to above my knees at a dry cleaner who does alterations. I like shopping for skirts and underwear and the sales ladies look forward to helping and advising. Some know what I am looking for before I ask and have been waiting for me to visit their store. They like male shoppers and are very helpful. I wear my "masculine" skirts in public quite a bit and am rarely noticed. One time I was in a store and asked about skirts. They sales associate asked what kind I was looking for and I said, "like the one I have on."

I have never had a comment from a man and the only times I was discovered by a lady the responses have always been positive. I am sure a lot of men would envy me. Over the years I have met a few men wearing kilts and wished I had their guts and envied them. It was obvious that girls and women admired them.

I nearly always wear skirts at home and my wife comments on them and makes suggestions and recommendations. Pants are uncomfortable and binding, adding to the fact I have scar tissue and stretching is uncomfortable, particularly standing up from my desk or getting into or out of a car. Skirts are better. I like pull on styles with elastic waists, at least one pocket, and light weight fabric. Scrub skirts are about perfect and are cheap, always on sale, and comfortable. I have them shortened to above my knees. I have not been able to find wrap skirts in stores or on line so I am having some made by a seamstress/dress designer. They would be easier to change into while wearing hiking boots.

I wish it would be socially acceptable for men and boys to wear skirts.