Imagining a better boyhood - article from the Atlantic

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Imagining a better boyhood - article from the Atlantic

Post by denimini »

Stu wrote: The writer clearly suffers from a reasoning deficit by virtue of being a feminist. She says: "Why would a boy, born into all the power of maleness, reach outside his privileged domain? It doesn’t compute." What she can never explain is precisely what "privileges" her son has that a girl of the same age lacks. She says "children can resist or challenge traditional masculinity" as though there is something wrong with traditional masculinity. Of course, being a feminist cultist, she has been brainwashed into believing traditional masculinity is "toxic". I find that idea both illogical and offensive. I don't know why her son wants to wear a dress. It may be that he just likes the style of the garment, so his desire is purely sartorial. It may be that he wishes to make a stand against society's discrimination against males in terms of dress, in which case his desire is to make a political statement. It may be that he has gender issues, in which case he might benefit from seeing a therapist. Or it may be the case that his mother has taught him to despise all things masculine as she clearly does, in which case he needs rescuing from her clutches.

moonshadow
You say: "When someone ask me about my gender when I'm wearing skirts, I just tell them it's whatever they think it is." That's absolutely fine. You have every right to take that view and I would respect that. However, I am not so disposed. I am male and I am masculine. I like being male and masculine. My gender is there for all to see and I express it, among other ways, in the way I dress. I am pretty sure you will find around 95% of other men and boys feel as I do while those who harbour any degree of ambivalence about their gender comprise a tiny minority.
I think there is a lot wrong with traditional masculinity and some aspects are pretty toxic, to themselves as well as to others; portraying toughness often prevents seeking help regarding mental health, which can lead to harming themselves or others. and there is no excuse for being physically abusive or a sexual predator. I am content being a male and I try to live and portray the type of male I want to be. How other people interpret this doesn't matter to me. I have never been asked about my gender, probably due to having facial and leg hair, however if I was I think I would say "Why do you ask?".
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

denim mini

Toughness is certainly a masculine trait, but failing to seek help when you are sick, physically or mentally, isn't being masculine - it's just being dumb. Being violent towards a physically weaker partner or anyone else is not being masculine: it's being a bully and a coward. I am not sure what is meant by the term "sexual predator". Firstly, it is more often the case that males pursue females for sex rather than the opposite; there are evolutionary reasons for that and it can be seen among almost all species of mammals. Also, some people are exploitative and that applies equally to both sexes. Men may be more prone towards attempting to exploit women for sex, but there is plenty of evidence that women often exploit men for resources (i.e.money) - but we never call that "toxic femininity". I am strongly opposed to labelling any trait present in a group which shares an innate and natural human characteristic as "toxic". It is a fact that, if you are going to be mugged in London, it is statistically far more likely that your mugger will be young and black, but we never talk about "toxic youth" and we would never dream of talking about "toxic blackness".

Professor Janice Fiamengo uploaded a very interesting video on this onto You Tube just yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaa64Ol_wTg
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Stu wrote:denim mini

Toughness is certainly a masculine trait, but failing to seek help when you are sick, physically or mentally, isn't being masculine - it's just being dumb. Being violent towards a physically weaker partner or anyone else is not being masculine: it's being a bully and a coward. I am not sure what is meant by the term "sexual predator". Firstly, it is more often the case that males pursue females for sex rather than the opposite; there are evolutionary reasons for that and it can be seen among almost all species of mammals. Also, some people are exploitative and that applies equally to both sexes. Men may be more prone towards attempting to exploit women for sex, but there is plenty of evidence that women often exploit men for resources (i.e.money) - but we never call that "toxic femininity". I am strongly opposed to labelling any trait present in a group which shares an innate and natural human characteristic as "toxic". It is a fact that, if you are going to be mugged in London, it is statistically far more likely that your mugger will be young and black, but we never talk about "toxic youth" and we would never dream of talking about "toxic blackness".

Professor Janice Fiamengo uploaded a very interesting video on this onto You Tube just yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaa64Ol_wTg
Hi Stu, I am sure there are plenty of "experts" with contrary views and perhaps it is a problem that is currently very much on the agenda in Australia after the rape and murder of a female comedian.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-15/w ... ed/9873588
and perhaps not just in Australia https://www.thelocal.se/20171218/malmo- ... after-dark
I think we will just have to disagree, rather that get off topic too much from what I thought was a well written positive article (and no doubt we will disagree about that) :)
Respect and regards, Anthony
We have skirt wearing in common!
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Hi Anthony

I heard about that case in Australia - absolutely terrible. Did you know that nearly two-thirds of murder victims in Australia are male? http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf ... Offences~9

As for Malmo, there is a very particular issue in that city which The Local doesn't want to mention, but Breitbart will:
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/10 ... migration/

I don't think we should call each other's gender or sexuality "toxic" any more than we should talk about someone's race or religion in that way. Just my opinion but, as you say, we can agree to disagree.

Cheers!

Stu
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

denimini wrote:...I am sure there are plenty of "experts" with contrary views...
Yes, for every expert there's another equal but diametrically opposed expert.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedbrit »

Beware of experts. The word is made up of 2 parts, ex as in has been and spurt which is a drip under pressure.