Polie stopped me AGAIN last night

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Polie stopped me AGAIN last night

Post by Fred in Skirts »

From the sound of it everyone at the local station has been doing it. I think they are doing it because they have nothing else to do and it breaks the dullness of the night shift.
But you should still have a talk to the local chief constable and have it stopped. And if that does not work then get a barrister to send a writ of cease and desist to them. :x

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The trouble is that it's easy for this niggle to escalate. I think that we all recognise that this is not a simple to solve even though the obvious course may not be the easy one. I'm just glad that I, in the same country as hairy, don't get the same hassle.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Is there something else about your appearance or manner that could be attracting their attention?
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

pelmut wrote:Is there something else about your appearance or manner that could be attracting their attention?
I have a full beard, can't think of anything else. I don't think I have a guilty looking walk.
Any way it might all stop now and my night time walk will get boreing.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

It seems to have worked because police cars went past me tonight several times and not one slowed down or stopped me.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

hairy wrote:It seems to have worked because police cars went past me tonight several times and not one slowed down or stopped me.
Good. It sounds like things have gotten back to where they should have been all along.

Face it, the average plod usually doesn't have one whit of a reason to hassle somebody, so most of the time they're likely doing it simply because they can -- the lowest of all the low reasons for doing anything. In your case, it definitely sounded like a pattern was evolving, and getting to the bottom of that was important. If they've given up from boredom or some other reason, that's fine, but it's still unacceptable behaviour on the part of the local force. Period.

Let's hope it holds now where it is.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

That little print out that I showed the copper that night certainly did the trick, They have stopped, stopping me. The only thing is that now when I go out for my late night walk I have no one to talk to and its got sort of boring. I guess I enjoyed the way I was able to be one up on them with the way I dealt with every time they stopped me. One police car did pull up on the other side of road the other night, I expected him to get out of his car but he just did something with what looked like his phone then drove off. He might have taken a pic of me on his phone to show his family, but do I care. Its all been fun.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

The police are STILL at it, making me feel uncomfortable while going for my evening stroll. Last night there were plenty of drunks around and I bet fights going on just a short walk from where I was but can they leave me alone? NO. They didn't stop there large van full of police but they did pull slowly alongside me and put the large flood light on me which I expect also had a built in camera. As normal for me when close to home I had on my floor sweeping wrap skirt, what can be wrong with that? Some of the things I see on my walk any night of the week could be good reason to arrest those involved but they are more interested in me, just wish they could keep out of my relaxing few minutes of the day.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Time to file yet another complaint to the overseers, if there are such things in your locality. The plods really should have better things to do than pester law-abiding citizens. If they're that bored that they feel a need to pick on you then perhaps the department needs to be disbanded as a waste of the taxpayers' money.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

crfriend wrote:Time to file yet another complaint to the overseers, if there are such things in your locality. The plods really should have better things to do than pester law-abiding citizens. If they're that bored that they feel a need to pick on you then perhaps the department needs to be disbanded as a waste of the taxpayers' money.
Carl I agree absolutely. This situation is completely unacceptable. Most likely the purpose of spotlighting was to humiliate and draw attention to him. Not all, but some police can be very narrow minded and biggoted. I would file a complaint immediately.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

hairy, much as I am loath to agree with the others I do feel that it's time to file a formal complaint of unwarranted harassment. I googled the topic and the following link seems to offer sensible suggestions: https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/compla ... -complaint. I have come across plods in the process of my skirting forays and there have been zero comments or untoward behaviour from any of them. There is obviously some subtext going on here and the time has now come to speak up otherwise it may escalate.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

Sinned wrote:hairy, much as I am loath to agree with the others I do feel that it's time to file a formal complaint of unwarranted harassment. I googled the topic and the following link seems to offer sensible suggestions: https://www.policeconduct.gov.uk/compla ... -complaint. I have come across plods in the process of my skirting forays and there have been zero comments or untoward behaviour from any of them. There is obviously some subtext going on here and the time has now come to speak up otherwise it may escalate.
As you know Sinned, the UK police work differently to those in the USA and here we have report such things all in the right way. Something happened to me many years ago when I was a teenager and I did have to report it but it was not easy process. Last summer I managed to put a stop to my harassment but unfortunately officers move on, new young and over eager ones take on new positions in a very short time, so if I report it and draw even more attention to myself in 12 months from now I'd still be back to where I am now.

I don't like what is happening every summer, it makes me feel like I need to run and hide every time I see the police coming, something which I'd never do, but I also don't want confrontation with them as that is often what the younger want.

Reporting it is just pointless.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well, it's your situation and you do what you think is best. I have had very little contact with the police so I don't have a lot of experience to fall back on. We can only advise and we feel that you have to do something. Take our advice for what is has cost - nothing. But do you still want the hassle or the anticipation of the hassle every time you go out for a walk? The other option is to flag the police van down and ask them why they are doing it. Explain why you wear a skirt but say firmly that if the hassle does continue then you will file a complaint. Yes hairy, I live in Yorkshire in a relatively low crime area so I know that policing here is different than in the US [0]. There is a procedure to go through. I would do something but then I ain't in your shoes in your neighbourhood. Good luck anyway whatever you decide to do.

[0] In many ways, thankfully.