Breaking Gender Stereotypes

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Breaking Gender Stereotypes

Post by SkirtsDad »

"It's really poking a lot of holes at traditional gender roles and stereotypes."

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ishmaeldaro/me ... .okkY1B4wD

Well, if they can pull off mermaid tails then skirts ought to be easy :lol:
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Breaking Gender Stereotypes

Post by greenboots »

Pics and looks for 2019?
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well that's a horse of a different color...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I read the article with a chuckle figuring that the author didn't know about mermen, but then I discovered the contrary was true and the thing was written partially in Newfie [1] slang where I suppose men are sometimes known as "boys" with the "o" being contracted [0]. Fun stuff, though, although I don't see how it's challenging gender stereotypes.

[0] I'm not really current with Newfie [1] slang.
[1] A term that Canadians and Newfoundlanders [2] use to describe folks from the island of Newfoundland [3].
[2] Properly pronounced as "New-found-land" (as in "Understand New found land").
[3] Been there. It's a delightful place. The natives are friendly, curious, and always happy to strike up conversation. I loved it when I was there.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The pronunciation of Newfoundland would depend mainly upon your accent. Around here it would be pronounced "Newfundlund". In the same way that we would pronounce Loughborough as "Lufbrer". How would you all pronounce Bicester? [0]

[0] It's actually "bister" as in blister but without the l.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

SkirtsDad wrote:"It's really poking a lot of holes at traditional gender roles and stereotypes."

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ishmaeldaro/me ... .okkY1B4wD

Well, if they can pull off mermaid tails then skirts ought to be easy :lol:
Lord lightnin' jeezus by, if them fellers think they're breakin' gender stereotypes, I got a codfish what'll fit right upside their collective 'eads and teach 'em diffrent. What they're doing us usin' gender stereotypes to get in the news. Which ain't hard to do. Every time old missus Crankshire up by Tickle Me Armpit hangs out a new set of drawers to dry, the local paper does a feature on it.
Daryl...
jmiller842
Distinguished Member

Post by jmiller842 »

Daryl wrote:Lord lightnin' jeezus by, if them fellers think they're breakin' gender stereotypes, I got a codfish what'll fit right upside their collective 'eads and teach 'em diffrent. What they're doing us usin' gender stereotypes to get in the news. Which ain't hard to do. Every time old missus Crankshire up by Tickle Me Armpit hangs out a new set of drawers to dry, the local paper does a feature on it.
Love the Newfoundland accent, craziern' a bag o' hammers.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I thought it was meant to be West Country (UK). Maybe that's where the Newfoundlanders came from.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair