A day at the VA clinic.....

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A day at the VA clinic.....

Post by Darryl »

oldsalt1 wrote:IMMMMMMMM Back
With a 14 inch slice up my leg I think I am going to be wearing tights for a while.
Two of my friends have had heart attacks and resultant operations and are in excellent health. One did drop dead a second time so they looked harder and found some kind of nerve something-or-other so they put a pacemaker in.

That said, they were both cleared for running-for-fitness once again about 3 years back, and the first guy is planning to do the upcoming IronMan in town.

Live Long, and Prosper. _\\//

And please keep sharing, you come up with excellent stories and outfits.

PS: I started this to say you should occasionally wear a kilt and a sword, leaving some of the scar on your leg show so when someone asks you can say "Aye, an you should see the other guy."
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Darryl wrote:
oldsalt1 wrote:IMMMMMMMM Back
With a 14 inch slice up my leg I think I am going to be wearing tights for a while.

I started this to say you should occasionally wear a kilt and a sword, leaving some of the scar on your leg show so when someone asks you can say "Aye, an you should see the other guy."
Haha Darryl, that's excellent!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

On Thursday night early Friday morning I ended up in hospital. I became dizzy and could not stand up without falling and started to vomit as well. It was so bad we called an ambulance to come see if I needed to go to hospital and they said yes. :pale: :pukel:

Well after a lot of blood work, two x-rays, several EKG's and a cat scan they decided that I had some kind of virus and started treatment for that. I spent the rest of the night and most of the day in Aiken Hospital, before coming home to lay in bed for about 28 hours before I even tried to get up. I was still dizzy but not as bad as before. I am still not over it completely but am working to get over the last of the virus. Today is really the first time I have been feeling good enough to sit at the computer for more than a couple of minutes.

I went to hospital wearing a denim knee length skirt with a sport shirt. While there I had to be undressed by the nursing staff and no comment on what I was wearing. I was taken all over the place still in my skirt until the Cat Scan where they had to remove the skirt because of the metal buttons and zipper.

When I was getting ready to leave the hospital it was with a new bunch of nurses as they had changed shifts and as they were dressing me one of them said she was going to help me into my trousers while holding the skirt so that I could put my feet in. I was in not in the mood to correct her at that time.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Its amazing as anyone who has had to go into the hospital the first thing that you have to do is leave your dignity at the door. They don't care they are only interested in getting the job done .
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

oldsalt1 wrote:Its amazing as anyone who has had to go into the hospital the first thing that you have to do is leave your dignity at the door. They don't care they are only interested in getting the job done .
For me, dignity at a hospital is an irrelevant concept. I want the doctors, nurses, staff, and me totally concerned about treatment, whatever it takes, nothing else.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Hey guys between this the PTSD and all the other BS I was approved for Disabled American Vet Plates.. They came today Anybody remember Forest Gump
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I have to say the VA Medical system has been terrific to me . I know it gets a lot of bad press and it does need major improvement.

I have worn skirts to 2 different Va hospitals in NYC and Northport LI and I have gone to 2 clinics and there has never been a problem or even anything said . I have to go back to NYC for a post op checkup and I am very comfortable doing it in a skirt.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I can say I have had excellent care at the VA here in Aiken and Augusta Ga. I wear skirts all of the time and have only had great comments from my primary care person and some of the nurses who are always hovering around me when I am there.
I have worn skirts from just above the knee to ankle length. From denim to light cotton broadcloth and in as many colors as I can.
Sure there are problems that need to be taken care of but here they are doing a fine job of taking care of the Veterans.

Fred
An Air Farce Vet!! 1960--1964AD
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Went into NYC yesterday for my follow up appointment at the VA I wore my denim skirt. going back a couple of years if you were to tell me that I would happily riding on a train and walking around NYC while wearing a skirt , I would tell you that you are crazy

After lunch I went to my appointment. 2 of the doctors that worked on my operation where there. They were very vocal about my skirt. One said that it was great that I would wear what was comfortable.

The lady doctor said that it was much easier to check my legs this was as she was telling me to lift up my skirt

To me it is mind bending when I am standing there and I have a lady even a lady doctor telling me to lift up my skirt

army 1966-1969
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

oldsalt1 wrote:...To me it is mind bending when I am standing there and I have a lady even a lady doctor telling me to lift up my skirt...
Try getting a prostate exam from a female physician's assistant.

After that, everything else is easy.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Just came home from a visit to My V A clinic. had my periodic visit with my primary care physician. If you want to talk about a bastions of masculinity , I think that would pretty much lead the pack.

As we sit in the waiting area the normal discussions come up. Where were you,? what did you do,? and when were you there?. I was sitting joining in on the conversation. There was nothing different , even though I was wearing my Vietnam Vet cap a shirt from our last wound warrior golf outing and my denim skirt.

I think that veterans are the most accepting of any group I know.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

oldsalt1 wrote:Just came home from a visit to My V A clinic. had my periodic visit with my primary care physician. If you want to talk about a bastions of masculinity , I think that would pretty much lead the pack.

As we sit in the waiting area the normal discussions come up. Where were you,? what did you do,? and when were you there?. I was sitting joining in on the conversation. There was nothing different , even though I was wearing my Vietnam Vet cap a shirt from our last wound warrior golf outing and my denim skirt.

I think that veterans are the most accepting of any group I know.
Waiting with baited breath - Were you one of the Ladies from Hades wearing that skirt in battle - imagine the shock and awe of the enemy when confronted by
such an image - one of those heathens meeting his virgin reward on the battlefield - fade to black one dead enemy who blinked and waited too long at the trigger.
Well maybe not quite like that or even at all - wearing a skirt does not need approval - one is not on the parade grounds needing to display one uniform uniform !

Hope you are getting the best that can be provided for what medical problem you have !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
PatJ
Member Extraordinaire

Post by PatJ »

"Try getting a prostate exam from a female physician's assistant."

Been there - done that - just as bad as getting it done by a male physician.

About the only thing worse than a prostate exam is having to give
someone a prostate exam. I often wonder what kind of person thinks,
"Gee, when I grow up, I want to be the one that sticks my finger....."
I think you know where the rest of that thought goes.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

They probably think nothing of it after the first few times. A bit like wearing a skirt in public.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

PatJ wrote:"Try getting a prostate exam from a female physician's assistant."
Been there - done that - just as bad as getting it done by a male physician.
I've had a prostate biopsy done by a female surgeon.  When I went into the operating theatre she was standing there holding a rough-looking cardboard tube about three quarters of an inch in diameter and seven inches long.  I said "Hey! Where are you going to stick that?" - she grinned and replied "Don't worry, the printer's just run out of paper".
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.