Roseanne sitcom restart

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Roseanne sitcom restart

Post by Sinned »

The scary thing, beachlion, is that it's happening right now. The middle class here is definitely being severely pruned and from what I can gather of the news the same is happening in the U.S. :(
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:The scary thing, beachlion, is that it's happening right now. The middle class here is definitely being severely pruned and from what I can gather of the news the same is happening in the U.S. :(
Substitute the word "has" for the words "is happening". It's over. The middle class is dead. Get over it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

crfriend wrote:
Sinned wrote:The scary thing, beachlion, is that it's happening right now. The middle class here is definitely being severely pruned and from what I can gather of the news the same is happening in the U.S. :(
Substitute the word "has" for the words "is happening". It's over. The middle class is dead. Get over it.
The amazing (and dumbfounding) part is that the ultra-rich have convinced the middle class that the poor are getting all the money.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:
I'm not sure if I agree. A few friends and I have often discussed the "hows" and "whys" of what we observe. All of us (my friends and myself) generally make enough money so that we don't need any government assistance (we wouldn't qualify anyway), but yet we all agree do live a less than "middle class" life.

One friend lives in a 30 year old singlewide trailer outside of Johnson City TN, a current co-worker lives in a trailer on an acre of land, others still are about in my situation, living in modest single level homes, averaging at least 50 years old or better on small lots of less than an acre. We all drive vehicles that are generally at least 10 years old, perhaps we may have one car that's a little newer that we're still paying on, but everything else is old.

And while we're doing the best we can, getting by paycheck to paycheck, we look around and it seems everywhere there are enormous estates situated on large tracts of property. Even in areas that have been subdivided, sit houses that are easily $250,000, complete with a $60,000 pick up truck and a high dollar SUV and maybe some "toy" cars in the garage to tinker with. Four wheelers, perhaps an RV, seedoos, etc. You figure the price tag for all this combined would be at least a half mill, and you see this EVERYWHERE, even in the backwoods of Appalachia.

Appalachia is funny like that, it's literally not uncommon to see a mansion sitting right next to a trailer park.

So naturally, the question my friends and I often ponder about, is: "what the hell do these people do for a living to afford these type of houses?"

Often the sarcastic answer I get is "DEBT!"

Oh don't give me that. Even a 30 year on at 3% interest, a straight up 250k is running just over $1,000 per month, plus you have to consider the taxes an insurance, which on a quarter mill place would probably tack on a couple hundred dollars per month (Russell County real estate tax rate is $0.63 per $100 assessed and Virginia assesses 100% of property value, although tax assessors tend to value property at about 80% of what the place will actually sell for, I.E. a 250k house will probably assess at $200k, and at 63 cents per hundred, makes an annual tax of $1260, or $105 per month). Then you figure the monthly cost of the vehicles sitting in the driveway, maybe about a total of $700 per month in car payments, insurance, add $200 per month, then there's the heating, electric, phone, and groceries.

1000 house
700 cars
200 taxes and insurance
300 heating and air conditioning (annual average)
100 phone and internet
----------------------------
2300 right there, not to mention groceries, vacations, toys like four wheelers, speed boats, RV's, etc.

That amount is almost exactly what I bring in monthly after income taxes and other deductions based on 40 hours per week.

So you figure, to live comfortably, you're going to want to at least double that (so you can actually live the lifestyle)

You'd need a net of around 5000, then add 30% for income taxes and insurance (that's about what I pay): 1500,
5000+1500=6500 per month
6500X12= 78000/52=1500/40= $37.50 per hour

Gheesh... I'll never live to see the day....

Of course, then again, we're basically a single income family. I suppose if you had husband and wife making $20 per hour, then that's a combined income of $83,200 annually.

I guess I just answered my own question... it just takes two making at least $20 per hour, which is not really all that hard if both the man and woman have some kind of skills.

All this being said,

I've HEARD that property taxes alone in New England are astronomical! I've heard people tell me they've paid an upwards of $10,000 per year on modest little 1,000 sq ft homes! :shock: How you all do that up there Carl, I have no idea. But it seems to me that an income of at least six figures is required to make ends meet where you're at.

Down here you can make it on 20 grand annually. You won't live high on the hog, but you won't starve and you'll have heat and a roof over your head. (I've seen one bedroom apartments list for as little as $250 per month in some neighborhoods, a two bedroom house can still be had for $550-$750 depending on the area)
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Moon you should start a Youtube channel. That question resonates with most everyone who lives near Nashville. Houses have gone from 150k to an average of 300k-800k. Everone wants to know, "wha do these people do for a living?" The restaurants are always full as well. We all know eating out is not cheap either. Some of these are very young people.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Caultron wrote:The amazing (and dumbfounding) part is that the ultra-rich have convinced the middle class that the poor are getting all the money.
Oh make no mistake... I'm just poor enough to mingle with the lower class often, and I KNOW the poor are not getting the money....

I've worked along side minimum wage restaurant workers for 13 years now..... I know their struggles and they are NOT getting the money.

In my estimate, the average restaurant worker works two jobs, averaging about 60 hours between them weekly for about $8 per hour. That's $480 per week minus deductions. And remember: by working TWO jobs, each at about 30 hours, neither employer has to pay overtime.

I've attempted to comfort deli mangers who literally cry through the holiday season as they worked 16 hour days 7 days a week from mid November until Christmas... and since they're a department head, they are salaried at $650 per week...

Meanwhile, I wonder what the C.E.O. makes???

That tight son of a b!tch doesn't even hand out a citrus at Christmas.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Freedomforall wrote:Moon you should start a Youtube channel. That question resonates with most everyone who lives near Nashville. Houses have gone from 150k to an average of 300k-800k. Everone wants to know, "wha do these people do for a living?" The restaurants are always full as well. We all know eating out is not cheap either. Some of these are very young people.
Oh I know all about the Nashville situation. I was offered a job at the local Hobart there a little over a year ago. I seriously considered it, to the point my wife and I took a few trips down that way to scope out the housing situation. (oh and you KNOW I took photos!- and yes I was wearing a skirt most of the time (except for the interview)) :D

I got cold feet at the average price of an apartment rental, which was hovering around $1250-$1500 per month. That was quite a leap from the $400 per month I was paying for the old trailer we were living in in Marion VA. I weighed that against the $10k increase in pay I was looking at, but still I got cold feet in the end...

That and I didn't want to deal with the Davidson County emissions inspection... what a pain in the ass.

But I can also understand why Nashville is in demand. It was a very nice city and I really enjoyed my short visit there. VERY friendly people!
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:Meanwhile, I wonder what the C.E.O. makes???
If the company is more or less "average" in the USA he'll be pulling in two to three hundred times more in salary alone than the lowest-paid employee and nets more in perks. It's rather obscene really -- and he's vastly closer to being poor than he is to the oligarchs (He said a dirty word!) who are worth billions apiece. However, he is able to comfortably deny that indelible fact.
That tight son of a b!tch doesn't even hand out a citrus at Christmas.
Why should he? It's all his money, is it not?

It's said now that in the USA the top four hundred wealthiest individuals control more wealth than fully the bottom 50% of the population. Expand that to the thousand richest, and you're likely looking at a number of closer to 85% of the population.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl/Moon, the situation is no better in this little island of ours. Top directors are paid in millions with probably bonuses in the order of up to 50%. There is a growing backlash from shareholders about this situation but since the big pension companies et al own the majority of the shares in any company the little un's like me stand little chance except to make a vociferous protest. Some of the leaders of the backlash will buy a single or a minimum number of shares so that they can attend the AGM and ask questions and protest. But there is hope and some of the large shareholders are starting to join in the protests.

As far as living expenses go I reckon that we can live on about £600/month as we have no mortgage to speak of or loan payments for our cars [0]. That includes energy, entertainment ( internot, sky satellite, TV license ), food, rates, insurances ( house building and contents and 2 cars ). In helping our children they are all on the housing ladder and settled socially which we consider a major achievement. We eat out whenever we want to although sensibly and since MOH is on a diet that has temporarily stopped. I have cut down on the carbohydrates and increased the fruit/vegetable intake. My blood glucose is under control and my blood pressure is in the 12-130/80-85 range so normal for my age. My time in IT did set us up financially as in the majority of the time I was on the £40,000+ + bonuses. I earn a fraction of that now but am happier with little stress apart from MOH. Life in general, is good.

[0] MOH has worked in the motor trade for many years and has contacts which means that we can get good cars cheaply, paying cash. Repairs are cheap and parts at cost. Consequently I don't do my own repairs any more although I could do as my father was a motor mechanic and trained me well.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
stevelous

Post by stevelous »

Round my neck of the woods house prices are just too high for any locals to get on the housing ladder, prices in excess of £350,000 for a semi detached 3 up 2 down, with very little garden and often a lack of off road parking.

We also have more than our share of £1million plus houses owned by the rich often from London (being only 20 miles down the railway). My wife's boss is trying to sell his for £10 million but has had no takers, funny that. Mind you I think the people who have viewed it have taken a dislike to the access road. Single track, twisty and dangerous.

Me, well I have to live in rented accommodation with my wife and 22 year old son, 6 cats and two old cars. Love older cars as I can understand and work on them without a mainframe computer to read what's wrong.

In all I have all I need to live but I have not got everything I want.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Where my Clinic is in Endeavour Hills, Melbourne, this a middle class area, a three bedroom brick house in decent shape not less than $600 000. A three bedroom unit in Canterbury where Mother lives, $2 004 500, February this year.

John
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I see they killed Roseanne (fictitiously-literally) and are trying again with "The Conners"

As I see the main character will not be in the show, any word on whether the producers also chickened out on the gender bending boy? Somehow it wouldn't surprise me. :roll:
-Andrea
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

http://www.newnownext.com/first-look-ro ... o/09/2018/

I guess they're keeping him. That's good I suppose....

Still I can't imagine this production doing well overall with the main star gone.
-Andrea
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Update to the Connors the show sans Rosanne.

While it seems to be muddling through without Rosanne.

I have noticed that the free styled boy Mark has become a very minor character. This very last episode only featured him for maby 1.5 minutes and both times he was only shown from the waist up. His shirt looked like it might have came from the girls side of the asile.

So much for a regularly skirted male character. As male becoming a major character.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

mishawakaskirt wrote:
I have noticed that the free styled boy Mark has become a very minor character. This very last episode only featured him for maby 1.5 minutes and both times he was only shown from the waist up. His shirt looked like it might have came from the girls side of the asile.

So much for a regularly skirted male character. As male becoming a major character.
The producers have completed the politically correct gesture of showing a Trans character.