What if men in skirts was totally accepted by society?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What if men in skirts was totally accepted by society?

Post by SkirtsDad »

weeladdie18 wrote:As I do not wear the same skirt regularly out on the street , perhaps this is why folks do not

recognise me when they see me. Perhaps the average person only has four or five changes of

trousers or skirts in their wardrobe.....I suppose I do not have much time to address this

issue as I am retired......weeladdie
I know quite a few women that don't even own one skirt. Me, on the other hand... well, I stopped counting when I got to 240 mini-skirts and I've bought quite a few since then, three this last week even, so I'm not sure if I have 260, 270 or even more. Most are on display on shop racking, which I think looks really nice, so it is easy to pick out a fresh outfit. I can't really see a reason to downsize my collection and neither do I really need to rotate them as the others are on shelves and easily visible. I have another 20 or so knee and full length skirts but rarely do these ever get worn outside the house..... I just don't really have a suitable place to wear these. The are not really pub wear...perhaps a nice restaurant, however, I am lucky if I eat out as often as once a year. I would love to wear one of my long velvet ones out on an evening.

Have you posted any pics of your outfits? I can't place any offhand.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I am afraid I have not posted any photos as I believe my camera is somewhere underneath one of my

tubular skirt racks on castors.

I was out today in one of my M & S below the Knee numbers with plenty of frills on the hem

in the same Patterned Material, almost what I would call a party skirt.

I was wearing a tee shirt , cardigan and a male stestan sun hat. A gentleman was watching

me and greeted me by saying " You look ready for summer."

My reply was " Thank you very much. I have to make the best of the weather .

It is going to rain on Saturday morning for the holiday makers. "

We both had a good laugh and I went on my way.

It is nice to have a laugh and show that we enjoy our skirt wearing ....weeladdie
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

weeladdie18 wrote:...It is nice to have a laugh and show that we enjoy our skirt wearing...
Indeed, if people see you as friendly, confident, and relaxed, they'll almost always look past any non-conventional attire you may be wearing.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

Indeed, if people see you as friendly, confident, and relaxed, they'll almost always look past any non-conventional attire you may be wearing.
This is so true. But I've wondered if it's sometimes better to take the other approach and just look straight ahead and don't make eye contact. I've seen beautiful well-dressed women do this. They know all eyes are on them but they don't engage the viewers.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Brad wrote:But I've wondered if it's sometimes better to take the other approach and just look straight ahead and don't make eye contact.
I typically use a hybrid approach and gauge my behaviour according to the local environment. It's also vanishingly rare for my eyes to be fixed ahead as I'm usually scanning around to maintain situational awareness and also listening intently for something brewing behind me (this includes locating moving cars in parking-lots).

Personally, I'd rather be regarded as approachable rather than aloof. Aloofness can impress others as cold and hostile.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Brad wrote:This is so true. But I've wondered if it's sometimes better to take the other approach and just look straight ahead and don't make eye contact. I've seen beautiful well-dressed women do this. They know all eyes are on them but they don't engage the viewers.
Personally, if someone isn't paying attention to me, I don't pay attention to them. But if they notice me and throw me a look (positive or negative) I give them a smile and wish them a nice day.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Caultron wrote:..... Personally, if someone isn't paying attention to me, I don't pay attention to them. But if they notice me and throw me a look (positive or negative) I give them a smile and wish them a nice day.
When it is quite crowded like in a shopping mall or a city center, I focus on maneuvering between people and obstacles and pay little attention to the individuals around me. When out in nature or on a quiet street, if I encounter people, I try to appear friendly, look at them and when they look back, give them at least a nod with a smile or say Hi. I have the impression that with this kind of behavior, they forget all about the skirt at that moment.

Sometimes they ignore you completely. Or they are hiding behind dark sunglasses, check you out (at least I assume) and walk on with a stern face. I don't care, you can bring a horse to the water but ..... ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

beachlion wrote:...When out in nature or on a quiet street, if I encounter people, I try to appear friendly, look at them and when they look back, give them at least a nod with a smile or say Hi. I have the impression that with this kind of behavior, they forget all about the skirt at that moment...
Yes, exactly,

caultron
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Brad wrote:
This is so true. But I've wondered if it's sometimes better to take the other approach and just look straight ahead and don't make eye contact. I've seen beautiful well-dressed women do this. They know all eyes are on them but they don't engage the viewers.
That's of necessity, obviously, but even then they still do engage with more direct visual contacts, and not merely appear as moving statues.

When you say "all eyes are on them" you aren't exaggerating in the least. People of any sexual orientation will not fail to notice Charlize Theron in her J'adore commercials, though one gay guy I know did also notice everything else in the commercials that I did not...
Daryl...
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Brad wrote:..I've seen beautiful well-dressed women do this. They know all eyes are on them but they don't engage the viewers.
Actually, if you let them catch you looking at them and instead of sulking you give them a friendly smile and a nice greeting, they usually reciprocate.

I'm just sorry it took me 70 years to figure that out.

Like the old German guy says, "Ve get too soon olt und too late schmaht."

caultron