Hello from Connecticut

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
KenCT

Hello from Connecticut

Post by KenCT »

Hello all,

An interesting diversity here. Been visiting occasionally for a couple of months, finally registered.
I have been doing yardwork for years in cutoffs and skirts handmade rather crudely from old jeans. Last year I bought a used sewing machine intending to do a proper job. In the course of buying needles, thread, etc. at the fabric store, I started rummaging through the remnants bins, so beside the reworked jeans, I've made a few skirts that are suitable for doing errands, shopping, visiting the local library, etc. I found it very easy to venture out skirted, even the first time, but then this is a part of the US where tending to one's own business is a traditional value.
Truth is, weather permitting, I prefer to wear as little as I legitimately can. I've occasionally been to a clothing-optional beach (Gunnison in New Jersey, completely legal) and found it perfectly comfortable. To me, skirts feel closer to nothing than pants, especially simple designs, at or above the knee. It's not about appearing feminine for me, so I stick to darker colors, subtler prints. But I realize that others have their own likes and preferences; it's a big, varied world. Here's hoping that it can become a more tolerant one, as well.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hello from Connecticut

Post by Sinned »

Welcome KenCT. Yes we all hope that our diversity from the norm will spread and men wearing skirts will become, if not common place, at least more welcomed rather than tolerated. It would also be helpful if those men wearing a dress/skirt weren't associated with perversion. After all, it was not that long ago that a man wearing any non-standard clothing would have been diagnosed as having a psychological condition. Yes skirts are comfortable and do look good on man or woman. You are not the only site member that makes his own skirts so keep on skirting and let us know a bit more of your experiences.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Welcome, Ken. I'm in northern Illinois. You sound a lot like me. I also often prefer to wear as little as I can and have made crude skirts from old jeans.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

KenCT wrote:Hello all,

Truth is, weather permitting, I prefer to wear as little as I legitimately can. I've occasionally been to a clothing-optional beach (Gunnison in New Jersey, completely legal) and found it perfectly comfortable. To me, skirts feel closer to nothing than pants, especially simple designs, at or above the knee.
Welcome, and yes skirts do feel like nothing else, in more than one way. In hot weather i used to wear short, shorts but mini skirts a far cooler and in fact more discrete than the shorts I used to wear. Unlike the beach communities, outback country towns are generally far more conservative and I think my skirts are more accepted than my shorts were.
Great that you already feel confident and comfortable in public.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Welcome, KenCT, and thanks for the background info. Keep us posted on your adventures and maybe post some photos, eh?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Welcome What part of CT are you from.
My son and I were up in Branford a couple of weeks ago WE took a basic pistol safety course. We came across the sound on the ferry from Port Jefferson to Bridgport
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

Welcome to our little corner of the web Ken!
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?