Summertime, and the fashions are easy

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Summertime, and the fashions are easy

Post by Ralph »

It's pretty rare that I see something in a style I like* and a price I like** that fits me*** right off the rack, so when it happens I jump on the opportunity. Our local Walmarts have a "Time and Tru" brand out on the sale racks the past few weeks, and tonight I finally had a chance to take a closer look. $17 for a wonderful maxi with short sleeves and a neckline that isn't intended to plunge down to upper attributes I don't possess. I normally wear a 22 or 24, so I was a little worried that the one marked "XL/16-18" would be too small for me but I've had good experience with Walmart in the past (they tend to run a little large to appeal to low-budget, out-of-shape rednecks like me).

Best of all... POCKETS! Why don't more dresses come with pockets? This could be my new favorite, and I have a lot of favorites in my closet.

Sure enough, it fits like a dream. Ralph says, check it out! Behold, the Time & Tru "Burnout Maxi Dress".

* I'm somewhat old-fashioned. I prefer mid-calf to ankle-length skirts, loose fit, and a modest high neckline that doesn't plunge down to my nonexistent cleavage. Short but full (shoulders covered) sleeves in the summer, wrist-length in cooler weather. That's what I prefer to wear, and that's what I prefer seeing on the ladies.
** If I ever spend more than $30 on a single article of clothing, it's time to admit I have a problem
*** depending on how unsuccessful my diet attempts are going, somewhere between a tight 18W and a loose 24W. You'd be amazed how few skirts and dresses meeting my other requirements are in that size range.
Ralph!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Summertime, and the fashions are easy

Post by Sinned »

Yeah, Ralph, I have skirts ranging from size 8 to size 20 and they all fit. Women's sizing is a really black art and the numbers bear no relation to fit. The dress looks fine as is but I would also wear one that was shorter too. It's not a colour that I wear a lot of.
Last edited by Sinned on Wed May 02, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

Its nice to wear something that hangs from the shoulders rather than the waist - a great feeling of freedom :D
I'd like it a bit shorter and in a different colour. It reminds me of the tunics worn in the TV sitcom 'Plebs', set in ancient Rome and featuring two guys and their (very) lazy slave - men in dresses!!
See https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/plebs/
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

I'm wearing dresses since my wife allowed me to after wearing skirts for half a year by now. They are wonderfull to wear and I like them al lot. It is easy fashion for me. A dress with no sleeves can be worn with a nice top underneath with any length of sleeves that you desire.
Like I did.
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

A novel use for a button down dress. I like it. I love summer because I can wear the short lighter materials in both skirt and top. [0] I can do away with the hosiery as well. The loose flowing A-liners are great for allowing the breeze to get where it normally doesn't. I like the more pastel colours for summer, blue, lilac, white and yellow being favourites. So roll on summer. [1]

[0] Not that we do have that many warm days but when we do we make the most of them, when I'm not at work that is. Rumour has it that this Bank Holiday ( this weekend ) we may actually have good weather. Normally a Bank Holiday is a death knell for sunshine, rain being the predominantly item, closely followed by snow and gales.
[1] Or roll on spring for those of you still in the US in the snowy days of winter-cum-spring. 8)
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Fish are jumping and I say the cotton is high!

"Women's burn out...".... hehehe.... I think there's a pill for that!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

I'm prepared for the hot bank holiday weekend :-)
P1130262sc.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

MOH was at work, there was not a cloud in the sky, there was no-one else in the house so, on impulse, I put on a strappy purple top, a purple short skirt and purple trainers and went out for a run. My first of the year. Cool, but not too cold. I figured that I was about as unfit as I could get. There's a lake nearby [0] so I run some, walked some [1] all round it. Took me about twenty minutes. Met several people out walking dogs, greeted them all and no reaction from any of them. Life is good.

[0] The area was originally a repair/supply airfield during the war and the runways were still there over the road when we first moved in. Since then a housing a trading estate has blossomed. Two lakes were stipulated, as part of the planning consent, to control the water table and provide runoff in case of flood.
[1] I am not fit enough to run continuously so run/walk for the moment. It's 43 years since I did any serious running and I then weighed 7.5 stone, 105 pounds. I now weigh 182 pounds. Most of that is surplus fat and I want to get rid of some of it.

SD, I like the skirt but I suspect it would be far too small for me.
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Rockje , I must admit I do like the style of your skirt. Nice and long and light and free flowing....especially with bare feet.

Some of these style of skirts have a chord tie to support the waist and are called " Free size " ......some with the hem nearly down to the
ankles lack a sort of female touch but can be worn in a male context....A beautiful free cool male garment to wear.

In the summer heat, yesterday , I was dressed entirely differently to you......I was not wearing one of my favourite summer skirts; I was wearing
a dark blue below the knee pencil skirt with a hairy sporran and a short argyle jacket....I walked down to the river bank through a wooded area
of Californian Pine Trees. A different soft piece of countryside to explore...........weeladdie