Weight Loss & Fashion Freestyling

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Weight Loss & Fashion Freestyling

Post by JeffB1959 »

It was one year ago today that I undertook a serious personal project to better myself as I began a weight loss regimen, and that helped me look a whole lot better as a fashion freestyler. On May 1st of 2017, I weighed 243 pounds when I began my regimen, I had an all too considerable paunch, in fact, I joked with friends and coworkers that it looked like I was in my first trimester, I didn’t like how I looked and decided it was time for a change.

My strategy was dirt simple: cut out junk food and sweets and ramped up the exercise, nothing fancy or complicated. I hit the gym (Planet Fitness) three times a week, twice during the week and once on the weekend and worked hard to slim down, meanwhile, I took up eating healthier, salads, no fried or greasy foods, and, being a hopeless snacker, especially potato chips and pretzels, I eliminated that stuff in favor of peanuts and almonds and the occasional mozzarella stick as I enjoy a little cheese here and there. The results from my efforts paid dividends over time as the weight came off, by mid October, six plus months into my regimen, I was under 200 pounds and I was feeling and looking better, by the end of the year, I had dropped an astonishing fifty pounds and have been around 195 ever since, in fact, as I type these words of wit, I’m now at 192, something I never imagined happening when I began my regimen. The weight loss also affected me in the freestyling department, the skirts I had swam on me because they were suddenly too large as I had dropped a full THREE dress sizes. The difference as you can see in the pictures below is remarkable.

Last year, I was a size 16, today, I’m down to a full fledged size 10, I know this because I bought a couple of size 10 skirts at Sears this past weekend and they fit very well, in fact, I experimented with buying a couple of small, that’s SMALL size short sleeved swing dresses at Old Navy and, much to my surprise, they fit well too, weren’t at all tight or snug on me, that was astonishing. I’m loving how slim I look and how my skirts and dresses look all the better on me. Of course, as the old adage goes, taking off weight is easy, keeping it off is hard, but I’m determined to keep it off because I look smashing in my women’s wear, and it’s something I wholeheartedly recommend to everyone, not only will shedding pounds make you feel better and healthier in the long run, but you'll look better as well, especially when traipsing about in a skirt or dress.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Weight Loss & Fashion Freestyling

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Jeff,
OHBOY the difference is really fantastic. :D
You look so much better and the clothes actually look even better on you. :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Well done Jeff, a great effort and the results speak for themselves.

You make it sound like you still eat normally, but without the junk. That and some exercise, of course. But no counting calories or following strict diet regimes. I'm sorry to have to tell you that there's no book or TV series in that. You will have to keep on working for a living!

How the Hell can a 14 stone man fit in a small size dress? Vanity sizing gone mad?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Whatever you did, keep doing it the rest of your life. I lost a lot of weight about 10 years ago, and gradually gained 70% of it back. What I didn't realize then was that even though my calorie intake was under my calorie consumption, my metabolism had adjusted to the new diet. Circumstances changed so I couldn't exercise as much and I stopped being so careful about counting calories... and now that it's back, my body knows all my tricks. Using the same calorie limits and exercise amounts as before, I can't lose so much as five pounds in six months. Very discouraging :(

The nice dresses I fit into for that one wonderful year now hang inaccessible in the back of my closet, and I'm once again hoping against hope I can find things in a style I like that fit a 24W (US measurement) apple shaped body.

Seriously, Jeff, that's a terrific difference and I'm both proud and jealous. You look great!
Ralph!
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

skirtyscot: Thanks for the kind words. I don’t mind that my story won’t make it on the telly, besides, I have a face better suited for radio anyway. :lol: As for the dress I mentioned, swing dresses are naturally loose fitting, and the one I bought is stretchy, so it works for me.

Ralph: Oh, I don’t mind doing this for years to come, I see it as a challenge. I also understand that my body will catch up to me eventually, but as long as I can stay under 195, I’ll be a happy camper.
Last edited by JeffB1959 on Thu May 03, 2018 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Very good, Jeff. Losing weight and getting in your green BMI-bracket is nice, not only for your exterior but more for your interior. The feeling of free movement with skirts and dresses will be amplified with the easier movements of your body.

I try to stay around 72 kg (around 160 pound) with a length of 1.79 m (5' 10.5"). With that weight I feel good. After a relationship of 15 year with a good cook of Italian origine, I was 85 kg (almost 190 pound), mostly from an overdose of pasta and heavenly desserts. I did not give a hoot for my appearance but I had trouble lacing my shoes. The difficulty of doing normal movements was more important to me. After the relationship I had to cook for myself and that speeded up my weight loss. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Jeff, it is commendable that you have lost so much weight. One aspect I don't understand is your sizing in clothes. I am 182 pounds ( 13 stones ) and am a size 14/16 in skirts [0] and 18/20 in tops [0]. I know that I am shoulder heavy, that was brought home to me the other day, and that reflects in my sizing. But how can you get int a size 10? [1]

[0] 34/36 inch waist although I do have skirts sized as low as 10 and high as 20. 42 inch chest at nipple height.
[1] A size 10 skirt implies a 27/28 inch waist!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

So far as I can gather, Americam ladies size numbers are smaller than UK. e.g. A UK16, which is frequently 34 inch waist (applicalbe to me) would be sized 12 or 14 US.

Depends how tall you are for your weight. At 6'1" I can pack my 190lbs into a 34" waist, but less easily than forty years ago! I'm still so shoulder heavy that any female dress that fits me up there would accommodate Barnums Circus below.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

beachlion: Your comment about freedom of movement hits home as I’ve developed a preference for swing dresses which are fun to wear and allows me plenty of freedom.

Kirbstone: You would be right, U.S. sizes do indeed appear to be smaller than yours, maybe it’s just par for the course. I’m 6 foot 2 and my waist is around 34 inches, at 191 pounds as of Monday, I’m about or near the proper weight for someone my height, and while my shoulders are fairly narrow, that helps with being bale to wear smaller dress sizes of late.