Decided to do it!

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Andy_G

Decided to do it!

Post by Andy_G »

Ok, so I’ve decided to finally step out in public. Been out in a kilt before with no issue but always wished I was wearing a skirt. Tomorrow I have a day away that I’ve planned and am going to do it wearing a skirt. I’ll be intrigued to see if all the reports of no reactions are true!!
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Decided to do it!

Post by crfriend »

Andy_G wrote:I’ll be intrigued to see if all the reports of no reactions are true!!
My suspicion is that it'll be a non-event, and that's what's usually desired.

Please regale us with the actual outcome!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Andy_G wrote:Ok, so I’ve decided to finally step out in public. Been out in a kilt before with no issue but always wished I was wearing a skirt. Tomorrow I have a day away that I’ve planned and am going to do it wearing a skirt. I’ll be intrigued to see if all the reports of no reactions are true!!
I'm sure the strongest reaction you'll receive is a fleeting glance of surprise. Just keep up your confidence, no shirking or sulking. Rock on.

And do report your experience here.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Andy,

I'm sure that you'll step out and go out and do your thing, just make sure you own it and be yourself. If you appear visibly self-conscious, that will draw other's attention to you more than the clothes you're wearing.

I've probably had a few second glances, and been checked our by one young woman, but apart from that, no reaction that I'm aware of, nobody sneaking mobile phone pictures, no questions. Your day will most likely be no different than before.

When I head out, I just go and do what I'm doing, just the same as any other time, when I'm doing my thing and once I'm out, I pretty much don't think about what I'm wearing. Like everyone else, you've got what your doing on your mind, just the same as everyone else.
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

Good luck to you Andy, go for it. If you are going out in a skirt and expecting any reactions you may get home disappointed, most people don`t notice or care.
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Andy, hopefully you dared out?

Now, what was the reaction?
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
Andy_G

Post by Andy_G »

Well, first thing to say is people DO notice. No nasty comments or anything like that, but everyone that noticed looked long and hard. It was obvious that once they noticed they also talked to who they were with about what they saw. The people that didn’t look surprised were the people that didn’t see. When I’m in a kilt, nobody bats an eyelid but I was aware of being much more of an outlier. It seems that the world at large doesn’t really seem ready for mean wearing skirts yet, no matter how polite they might be to your face. Those that talk positively about it I can’t say are representative of the general population as they seem to be a self selected sample.

It wasn’t an unpleasant experience, and I’ll probably do it again. However the reaction wasn’t quite as muted as I’d expected.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Andy_g. Great you took that first step into the big wide world! :D 8). Where did you go and what did you do?

I would say that whilst folks notice, there is almost no negative reaction. You will also be hyper-sensitive to any and all minor reactions from Joe Public. With repeated outings, you will notice that sidelong look, that second glance, the did-i-really see-that-guy-wearing-a-skirt look less and less.

Certainly nowadays, I don't register any odd looks except occasionally from teenage boys who seem to think it hilarious!
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The first time I was out in a skirt I felt decidedly uncomfortable and hypersensitive of the looks that I THOUGHT that I was getting. I realised later that it was just my sensitivity. Now don't get me wrong I have had others look and speak to whoever they were with about me but, and here's the important part, does that really matter? You don't know them, they don't know you and their opinion is only important to them. It won't impinge upon you so the only advice I can offer is - stop looking for and noticing other people's reactions! When I go out now in a skirt I don't look at other people and don't care about their reaction. I've had nothing negative done or said, ever.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

When you are out in a skirt, in the beginning you think everybody is looking at you. After a while you will see you are not that important or interesting to them.
Behave the same as if you wear pants. As long as you are not dressing extravagant, nobody will take much notice of you. Sometimes even to a disappointing level. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Today my daughter and grandson and myself went to Lowe's to get some tomato plants and a few large tubs in which to plant them. I was wearing a grey calf length skirt and a blue short sleeve "V" neck tee shirt.
I did not notice any one taking double takes or second glances at me. We were there for over an hour as my daughter wanted to get some lumber to build a bench for the garden.
Since I have been pretty much all over town in skirts it seems most people don't even worry about it.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

Can you post a photo of the skirt or describe your outfit?
Andy_G

Post by Andy_G »

http://www.bartestreewithlugwardinepc.c ... p-254.html

I had on the skirt in the link with a pair of leggings underneath, brown leather jacket and a pair of trainers than matched. It all went well together.
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

Well that's a pretty LOUD skirt, I think it would have been noticed no matter who was wearing it. Nice skirt, but a bit too flashy for me.
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Definitely not the old favourite "invisible denim"! A very bold choice for your first outing. No wonder people noticed.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair