A goofy new fashion trend

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A goofy new fashion trend

Post by moonshadow »

I couldn't read much on the aliceholic website. I did view a few photographs, and to me, it seems like something more along the lines of "sissy". Lots of lace, pinks, and whites.

Neo-Victorian and sissy are definitely two different styles, at least in my judgement.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

moonshadow wrote:*yawn*.... I'd like to see something truly original on a woman in public for a change.... Something classy and elegant, not "murican redneck" or little goody two shoes.....

Take this for example, I believe this is a female. At any rate, this person could never be accused of being boring, and certainly has her own style without a doubt!

Steampunk? That was the first thing that came to mind when I saw that outfit.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:I couldn't read much on the aliceholic website. I did view a few photographs, and to me, it seems like something more along the lines of "sissy". Lots of lace, pinks, and whites.
That latter bit would be an aesthetic known as "Lolita" which has a bit of an obsession with "cute". Originating in Japan, there are several sub-genres, but most are broadly recognisable as a single family.
Neo-Victorian and sissy are definitely two different styles, at least in my judgement.
Very definitely and there is very little, if any, overlap.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Back to the title of the thread. I suppose that a lot of women's fashion could be classed as goofy in that the method seems to be to take a basic item and make a change to make that item different, if not unique, in order to sell more, to establish a fashion or trend. The fashion shows are just at the extreme of that. Waterfall skirts and tops, add lace here and there, introduce cutouts in various places. Remember the jeans with transparent patches on the rear, exposing the bum? Even skirts follow a cycle of sorts with hemlines. Then there were lately the wrap around skirts with the front panel slightly dropped. I could go on. Cold shoulder just follows that trend. Not something I would wear even in warm weather - if it's hot enough I go for camisoles, short sleeves, T-shirts, or vests. I even have a black see-through shirt with flared sleeves that I have worn on holiday.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

moonshadow wrote:...Take this for example, I believe this is a female. At any rate, this person could never be accused of being boring, and certainly has her own style without a doubt!...
This is nothing new; it's Steampunk.

Not your everyday fashion, though, and I bet she's having fun with it.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Caultron wrote:
moonshadow wrote:...Take this for example, I believe this is a female. At any rate, this person could never be accused of being boring, and certainly has her own style without a doubt!...

With that LOOK it is as if she is going to put a HEX on your skirted wear.

So Alice in Steampunk Wonderland - Hummm !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I've had a change of heart. Suddenly, I wouldn't at all mind giving a "cold shoulder" dress a try. I think I could make that work.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

JeffB1959 wrote:I've had a change of heart. Suddenly, I wouldn't at all mind giving a "cold shoulder" dress a try. I think I could make that work.
And as usual, you will rock the look completely!!!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Caultron wrote:

Firstly, even with the trousers, I have to say that I love her wardrobe. I would wear a lot of it.

I have been doing a bit of research and, according to her blog, it is Ouji (Prince in Japanese) style, which she describes as the brother to Lolita. She tells us that Ouji has three essential sub-genres, sweet, classic and Gothic..... you can read the rest here: https://kira-ouji.tumblr.com/

A further note.... although I like the outfits, this is perhaps sadly another case of men's fashion is able to transcend gender boundaries, where women's fashion is not. Although there are those out there that do wear it, how do the general populous consider Lolita men? (Incidentally, I found out this can also be referred to as Brolita!!! Ugh!)
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

There are some web sites selling steampunk outfits. Of course, the ones intended for men are a bit dull.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

SkirtsDad wrote:Firstly, even with the trousers, I have to say that I love her wardrobe. I would wear a lot of it.
I absolutely would.
I have been doing a bit of research and, according to her blog, it is Ouji (Prince in Japanese) style [...]
This may be a parallel to what's also known as "Aristocrat". (The problem with many of these genres and sub-genres coming out of Japan is that there are so many of them it's hard to keep 'em straight.)

Edit: Upon reading something about it, Ouji isn't Aristocrat at all, but rather closer to "youth aristocrat" in I suspect roughly the way that "Little Lord Fauntleroy" was a child (parody?) of his father's generation. I'll be open and honest here: I just don't understand the obsession with childhood that so many folks seem to have. I'm very glad that phase of my life is safely behind me. Gone are the notions of "cute" and being a parody of one's elders. One especially good thing in my case is that my skirts have forced me to tame my movements so they're now fluid and graceful (which they weren't right up through my 20s and early 30s). Good riddance.
She tells us that Ouji has three essential sub-genres, sweet, classic and Gothic..... you can read the rest here: https://kira-ouji.tumblr.com/
Methinks I have a spot of reading in front of me...
A further note.... although I like the outfits, this is perhaps sadly another case of men's fashion is able to transcend gender boundaries, where women's fashion is not. Although there are those out there that do wear it, how do the general populous consider Lolita men? (Incidentally, I found out this can also be referred to as Brolita!!! Ugh!)
Agreed on the "Ugh!" comment.

The big problem with Lolita, as I see it, is that it's fairly heavily hinged on "cute" and most guys simply aren't programmed to "get" cute -- certainly in the sort of abstract way that might allow them to grab pieces of it for themselves. So, it pretty much remains the province of women.

Menswear styles, on the other hand, can go from drab and utilitarian to very lavish. The former is largely where we are in the West today, with much of it verging on grunge (or, as my late ex- called my wardrobe when we first met, "dumpster chic"). The latter can take a lot of work to put together cogently, and can take some skill in keeping it clean and undamaged (e.g. frilly lace cuffs an collars are great things, but do not go well with high-speed machinery or general dirt (think grease, which partly makes high-speed machinery high-speed instead of no-speed). My shirts with lace ruffles at the cuffs look great (and work well) if I have a sword in my hand -- not so well with a semi-automatic pistol, if you get my drift (I've not tried the experiment and won't as I don't want to damage anything an the result would be an instant jam). As another example, I would not like to experience getting a lace jabot hung up in a car-engine's fan-belt.
Grok wrote:There are some web sites selling steampunk outfits. Of course, the ones intended for men are a bit dull.
True enough, but the component pieces are mostly there and it's up to the individual to use a bit of creativity in putting something together if one wants to stand apart from the herd. That said, anything even remotely Victorian- or Edwardian- era is going to be head and shoulders about modern dreck in terms of elegance.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Sinned wrote:Back to the title of the thread. I suppose that a lot of women's fashion could be classed as goofy in that the method seems to be to take a basic item and make a change to make that item different, if not unique, in order to sell more, to establish a fashion or trend. The fashion shows are just at the extreme of that. Waterfall skirts and tops, add lace here and there, introduce cutouts in various places. Remember the jeans with transparent patches on the rear, exposing the bum? Even skirts follow a cycle of sorts with hemlines. Then there were lately the wrap around skirts with the front panel slightly dropped. I could go on. Cold shoulder just follows that trend. Not something I would wear even in warm weather - if it's hot enough I go for camisoles, short sleeves, T-shirts, or vests. I even have a black see-through shirt with flared sleeves that I have worn on holiday.
Yep, that seems the point of "goofy" fashion: different or unique just to sell more. In womens wear it isn't always just to peek-a-boo more skin, but that is a frequent theme.

I'm totally with you on warm weather tops. Womens tops include things like sleeveless blouses that are nicely cut and don't just look like a shirt with sleeves torn off by a farming accident. I wear a lot of sleeveless shirts in the hot months and until I had the courage to actually shop in womens wear stores, I just lopped the sleeves off old shirts. Now I have discovered camis too, and am blown away by that dimension of freedom and access to air on my body. Superior to mens tank tops by far.
Daryl...
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I have the same problem with camis that women have - the straps tending to go walkabout off the shoulders and down the arms! I have also find that there are two types of camis - those with fixed length straps and those with a little adjuster toggle on them. I only buy those with the adjuster as I can shorten the straps to fit better and hence they are less likely to want to migrate. But yes they are cut better, feel a lot softer and even when worn on their own I don't feel any hesitancy about them. Interestingly MOH tolerates them even though they could be be in the same category of female attire as skirts - in other words - not.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

When I first saw the picture, I thought "Count Dracula" or "Dr. Who".
In any case, the outfit looks fantastic :D Love the colors :D
I can't tell if the model is wearing Tr**sers or a long flowing skirt.
Doesn't matter, it still looks great :!:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

JeffB1959 wrote:I've had a change of heart. Suddenly, I wouldn't at all mind giving a "cold shoulder" dress a try. I think I could make that work.
Well, folks, as promised, here I am in a cold shoulder dress that came from JCPenney. It felt a tad odd at first, but I got used to the dress and enjoyed wearing it on an outing today to the Philadelphia Art Museum. What do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.