Why Most Men Still Don’t Casually Wear Dresses

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Why Most Men Still Don’t Casually Wear Dresses

Post by crfriend »

Jim wrote:
crfriend wrote:At issue here is that it's not a male-dominated society any longer. Certainly the United States isn't.
Really?! The Supreme Court has only 3 women. Congress is less than 20% female. How many female Presidents have we had?
Yes, really. Look at the way that the system works in practise, not how we're taught that it works or the way we once thought it worked.

Women win custody of children better than 90% of the time. They then go on to attach the ex-husband's wages at sometimes > 80% as "child support" (which is the new term for alimony). Men lose their domiciles all the time to ex-partners. Employment discrimination against men is at an all-time high, and there is no legal recourse to deal with the problem. Women commit perjury all the time against men and are always given a pass on it. In any dispute where a man and a woman are involved in a situation where the cops get called, it's the man who gets hauled off in irons > 99% of the time even if the woman is making it up.

Women now hold all the power -- even if they don't hold all of the formal positions.

Men are no longer allowed to compete -- never mind compete on a level playing-field. Men in the US of A are now nothing more than sperm-donors, wallets, and prisoners-in-waiting. Where's the "domination"?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Interesting article. I think one should not read all of it as being in the voice of the author, I think he occasionally uses "third voice" if I understand the term. That is, he is describing how others are seeing the situation.

For myself, I somewhat agree that there is a tendency for society to regard women as inferior, not in all cases, and it's not only men who do so. There are varying levels of equality around the world, so I don't want to get into that either.

A book I read recently has a declaration from a character that is, I think relevant. The character is the personal dresser of a high society"dame" is the closest I can get.(it's SciFi)
Can't find the book at the moment, so this is from memory.

" Clothing, is a language" the dresser proclaimed, "and each world or region has it's own dialect" "it is important for those not local to understand that dialect, so it says what you mean, and avoids misunderstandings"

That was the gist anyway. As men who wear skirts, dresses, or other things not commonly worn by men, it might be a good idea to keep in mind. We are, in a way, traveling to a new land, and furthermore, trying to translate without a dictionary.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

partlyscot wrote: As men who wear skirts, dresses, or other things not commonly worn by men, it might be a good idea to keep in mind. We are, in a way, traveling to a new land, and furthermore, trying to translate without a dictionary.
A vanguard, in effect. Exploring/experimenting where Western man has seldom, if ever, ventured before.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Grok wrote:
partlyscot wrote: As men who wear skirts, dresses, or other things not commonly worn by men, it might be a good idea to keep in mind. We are, in a way, traveling to a new land, and furthermore, trying to translate without a dictionary.
A vanguard, in effect. Exploring/experimenting where Western man has seldom, if ever, ventured before.
<theme music> To BOLDLY go where No Man has gone before! </theme music> :toast:
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Darryl wrote:
Grok wrote:
<theme music> To BOLDLY go where No Man has gone before! </theme music> :toast:
I was thinking of something with a great deal more dynamic fan fare:

"Also Sprach Zarathustra (Thus Spoke Zoroaster), Tone Poem For Orchestra, Op. 30, Part I"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toLHrNC3ejI
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

r.m.anderson wrote:I was thinking of something with a great deal more dynamic fan fare:
"Also Sprach Zarathustra (Thus Spoke Zoroaster), Tone Poem For Orchestra, Op. 30, Part I"
For those not in the know the theme from "2001 A Space Odyssey" :rofl: :hide:

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
r.m.anderson wrote:I was thinking of something with a great deal more dynamic fan fare:
For those not in the know the theme from "2001 A Space Odyssey" :rofl: :hide:

Fred
I guess that sums it up very succinctly - "WEARING SKIRTS IS AN ODYSSEY" !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

r.m.anderson wrote: I was thinking of something with a great deal more dynamic fan fare:

In that case..... KILT ON! https://youtu.be/PSH0eRKq1lE
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

While we're on the topic of music -- Have at you!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I always remember the ELP version. But then I always thought that Brain Salad Surgery was ELP's greatest album. I still have the vinyl of BSS and play it and other heavy rock when I can [0], loudly! We live in a detached house so can do so safely.

[0] Only when MOH is out as she doesn't appreciate good music.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Darryl wrote:To BOLDLY go where No Man has gone before!
Ah, so you're familiar with the ill-fated Star Trek unisex "skant" uniform (no kidding, google it!)

Ralph!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Ralph wrote:
Darryl wrote:To BOLDLY go where No Man has gone before!
Ah, so you're familiar with the ill-fated Star Trek unisex "skant" uniform (no kidding, google it!)

It is available on ebay link:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... T&_sacat=0
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

The Star Trek "skant" is too short for my tastes. :roll:
webboy42

Post by webboy42 »

JohnH wrote:I like to wear dresses. They are the next best thing to being naked, ...
That was almost exactly what I thought when I tried a skirt for the first time.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Well, today I was scantily (not skant-ily) clad.

White T-shirt over my tennis shoes with a denim mini-skirt in between. 2 side pockets, 2 hip pockets, 2 cargo pockets, fly and belt loops with a thin black belt threaded through. Thermometer said 88. Breeze between the knees was....refreshing. :D