Greetings from Central Illinois

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Skirted at hom

Greetings from Central Illinois

Post by Skirted at hom »

Hello to all.
I have been lurking at the cafe off and on getting a feel of what it is all about. A little about myself. I've had this think for girls or women's clothes. I grew up in the east near Pittsburgh. When I was old enough to go into the city alone I would go to some of the 5 and 10 cent stores and go back to the girls dept. occasionally trying on skirts just to see what it was like to wear one. Never had the nerve to buy one because I never would have been able to wear it at home. Fast forward through college and graduate school and getting married. I would on occasion continuing my trying on. We moved from Southern Wisconsin to Northern Wisconsin. Several times during the summer I was always able to get away my wife and children would travel down to Iowa and visit her mother. On one such occasion I went and bought myself a skirt and found one of my wife's that I could wear a wrap around from the early 80's. At some point the skirt was found so no longer could I wear a skirt. Again fast forward. I lost my wife 4 years ago then finally a year or so later I went and bought a few skirts which I would wear around the house never out. I would do this a couple of times a week usually in the morning or until a time I had to go out and would change then when home change back into a skirt for the evening. I found this site and as I said above been lurking and seeing that there are those who will go in public wearing a skirt. I am in my early 70's so I don't know if that makes a difference or not so what I am asking for are there any hints, suggestions, idea or strategies about wearing a skirt in public for the first time. I'm in Peoria, Illinois so not sure if I would want to wear a skirt often here but there are malls and shopping areas anywhere from 45 minutes to 90 minutes away which I go to several times a year. I also travel once or twice a month to Pittsburgh to visit my mother in a nursing home. I usually leave on a Sunday afternoon and spend the night in Richmond Indiana which is about half way and finish the trip on Monday. On one of these trips I would like to take it skirted. I usually stop once or twice for coffee or to let the dog walk. Again as I stated above any hints ideas or suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you in advance for any hints, suggestions and idea.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Greetings from Central Illinois

Post by oldsalt1 »

Welcome aboard . Just as a point of reference I am 73 . Start with something small go out at night and get gas . do it away from home . You can always just about shield yourself by your car doors.

Start with close to knee length denim they almost look like shorts

Go into a deli or lotto store later at night until you get up your courage.

Don't go putting yourself in a big crowded mall until you build a little confidence

Its ok to do a dry run in pants to get the feel and always give yourself an out.

Next time you go to your mothers wear a skirt for the trip and change before you get there. I guarantee you will be anxious to put that skirt on for the trip home and as far as the stops along the way you are never going to see those people again.

small steps again welcome aboard
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Welcome. I'm 73 too, so I'm in the same bracket.
I started wearing skirts when on hikes in a wooded area in Allentown, PA. I had no idea how my wife would react to it so I kept it a secret.
Out of the blue she asked me how a kilt would look on me. So I bought a kilt and she liked it. I made a few other kilts myself. And she still liked it. Then I made a skirt with a front like a kilt. It was accepted. From then on I started making skirts from denim or black twill, heavy fabric for the winter and lighter for the summer. They are from a little above the knee to 4" above the knee.
Outside the house, I started with kilts, then moved to knee-long skirts and in the summer a little shorter.
You have to build up confidence and you get it from going out in skirts. Start away from your neighborhood and go from there. You will find, like we all did here, that in the end it is no big deal. You will have more positive reactions than negative, if you get any.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Welcome to Skirtcafe. I'm about an hour north of you, a little south of Princeton, IL. I've had no negative experiences out and about fishing, biking, shopping or in restaurants in a skirt. Give it a try. When we get older (I'm 65) we can get a little eccentric and no one worries too much!
Jayce

Post by Jayce »

WELCOME -->from Central Jersey. Since ages are being "bragged" about, I'm only 70. I been wearing Kilts out in public since somewhere between 1968 and 1972 (My college years). I attend: New Year's parties, family weddings and dining out in one of my 11 Kilts. My son had a Celtic wedding, where, all 5 of my sons - two of them in the military US Army Tartan wore kilts. Also, my brother, numerous nephews and all of his groom's men wore Kilts. Every Saint Patrick's Day party I've gone to since age 20 I've warn a Kilt. For the past decade I've worn denim wrap around skirts while doing yard work or gardening and when I need something from Home Depot, Lowe's or our local hardware store I go the way I'm dressed --> frequently skirted. I HAVE NEVER YET been embarrassed: buying seed, screws, drill bits, spray paint, fertilizer, salt for my water system or thousands of other miner stuff. HOWEVER<> in cold weather I wear Bib-overalls or blue denim Jeans. JAYCE
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:welcome:

Well I am 75 and have been wearing skirts for about 4 years now. I wear them all of the time and go everywhere in them. In all that time I have had only 2 bad reactions (nothing violent) And I put the detractors in their place nicely. My advise is to just go out and take a drive in your skirt, and when you begin to feel more comfortable stop for gas or coffee at a convenience store. Don't worry about what people may say they do not own you nor do they buy your clothes for you. So put on your skirts and enjoy life like it was intended.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Greetings to you. And welcome to the SC!
I'm in my early 40s. I have been wearing skirts privately for 20 some years. And About 3 years ago I got into kilts. Wife is my only objector on the kilts. I wear those out in public occasionaly.

Enjoy the café. We are all ages, all walks of life, and from all over. And have a story to share. Looking forward to to reading more of your future posts.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Welcome me, Skirted at hom, and thanks for your introduction.

I am 70 years old and had an urge to wear skirts dating back to my teenage years. About five years ago I started wearing utility kilts occasionally, then more often, and then actual skirts. My wife puts up with it unless we're out together, so I'm skirted 99% of the time.

And here's they key: if you put on a skirt and go outside, essentially nothing will happen. No fashion police, no black helicopters, no circles of people pointing and laughing. Yes, you will surprise people, but an amazing percentage won't even notice because they're just going about their own business.

So my advice is to give it a try. Put on some kind of neutral- or dark-colored knee-length skirt and go somewhere. If that's a convenience stores in the middle of the night, so be it. If it's buying gas during the day, that's fine. Go far from home if that helps. Just do it, keep cool, be confident, and don't act like a creep. If someone notices you, give them a friendly smile and wish them a nice day.

One good thing about being an old man is that you get to be a crazy old man.

And if not now, when?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Welcome Sk. at hom.

Coultron is speaking for himself, as always, but his advice is sound and experience-based.

This 'crazy ol' man' is pushing 76 and still feels 45-ish. Now how crazier can you get? MOH hates me wearing anything unbifurcated except perhaps a surgical gown, so skirted forays into that Great Big World Outside for me must be private. I go for knee-length, too.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Welcome, thrice welcome. I'm 64, going on mid forties in outlook and attitude. I have been wearing skirts for just over 6 years and would wear them more but for MOH's opposition. The advice given is sound but it's just like your first parachute jump, bungee jump or other thrilling activity - you know intellectually that it's relatively safe with that hint of danger and that you'll come out ok but still your pulse races, blood pressure rises, the adrenaline flows and you feel the occasion. You take the step....

.... and afterward you calm down, the blood returns to normal and you laugh and wonder what you were worried about. Initially skirt wearing outdoors in society feels like that. Yes, we've all been through it, felt it and gone back for another occasion until it becomes almost .... normal. So understanding this, just put on a knee-length denim skirt and, in this weather, a warm top and jacket, thick black tights or knee socks and go out. Project confidence, animals and people detect fear and uncertainty. Even if you don't feel confident inside, fake it, act it, be it and you'll be fine. And congratulations on taking this first step. If anything it seems to indicate that you are probably better educated, more intelligent, emotionally well-adjusted but certainly more mentally unstable!!!! :lol:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Kirbstone wrote:...Coultron is speaking for himself...
Don't we all?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Skirted at hom

Post by Skirted at hom »

oldsalt1 wrote: Go into a deli or lotto store later at night until you get up your courage.
In my community are several walk in and sit down Dairy Queens' and Culver's all closing around 10:00 pm. At time I get the urge for an evening ice cream usually around 9:15-9:30. The ones I've been to are not busy at that time mostly drive through. This may be an opportune time to go out in a skirt. The local Subway shop likewise closes at 10 and not busy at all another opportunity.
Skirted at hom

Post by Skirted at hom »

oldsalt1 wrote:Next time you go to your mothers wear a skirt for the trip and change before you get there. I guarantee you will be anxious to put that skirt on for the trip home and as far as the stops along the way you are never going to see those people again.
This is what I plan on doing as I travel East next week. The one concern I have what do I wear under the skirt? Plain neutral color pantyhose? Pantyhose that might match my top? When I'm in a skirt around the house I usually wear white over the calf or up to the calf white socks. or would bare legs be appropriate? Any thought?
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Skirted at hom wrote:When I'm in a skirt around the house I usually wear white over the calf or up to the calf white socks. or would bare legs be appropriate? Any thought?
If the weather is warm go bare legged. I seldom wear anything on my legs and I have never had a problem. The only time I wear anything it is compression stockings on airplane flights. This helps keep the blood and other fluids from settling in my lower legs.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I agree with Fred. Bare legs when it's hot is best. But, you can see from my avatar that I'll often wear nothing but my skirt, glasses & watch (when and where acceptable, of course.)