A goofy new fashion trend

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

A goofy new fashion trend

Post by Ralph »

I am fully aware just how ironically hypocritical I am to ever judge others for their choice of clothing, but... I have to say, this "cold shoulder" trend is the most ridiculous fashion fad I've ever seen in nearly 60 years of life. Weirder than bell-bottom pants and shirt collars big enough to serve as airplane wings; weirder than jeggings... possibly not weirder than earlobe holes you can drive a truck through, but close.
If it's cool enough to wear long sleeves, why on earth would you want big holes letting the chill in through your shoulders? Either go short sleeve/sleeveless, or go long sleeve. Long sleeves with holes in them look ridiculous, like the designer got distracted and forgot to finish the design.
Ralph!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A goofy new fashion trend

Post by skirtyscot »

It's not about warmth, it's about the look. Displaying a bit of flesh, always allowed for the women, and those cunning designers have come up up with something completely new. Fashions come and go and eventually they come back again, but AFAIK the cold shoulder is a new idea in mainstream fashion. Maybe that explains its popularity.

But yes, I do see women sporting this look when it's cold, and think they are crazy!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well, I have seen a load of tops with the cold shoulder treatment and I have discounted them for my own use and consider them a solely female accessory. Are they ridiculous? After seeing them for a while now on the racks in the clothing sections then they have just become part of the fashion scene so, no, I don't think so. No more than any other fashion device. They are relatively recent but whether they are here to so is a moot point.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Hmmm, epaulette tan lines.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

skirtyscot wrote:It's not about warmth, it's about the look. Displaying a bit of flesh, always allowed for the women, and those cunning designers have come up up with something completely new. Fashions come and go and eventually they come back again, but AFAIK the cold shoulder is a new idea in mainstream fashion. Maybe that explains its popularity.

But yes, I do see women sporting this look when it's cold, and think they are crazy!
Not actually very new, although to be fair, it has only been popular for about 2 years. I've certainly seen donated clothes in the charity last year, so it seems fair to assume they were bought some while before.... unless perhaps the person changed their mind once they'd worn it!

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/201 ... ena-dunham
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Yep they goofy clothes.
I can almost hear the announcers voice if these were sold on a infomercial.

"Ladies are the troublesome men in your life getting you down? Then you want the new and improved "cold shoulder" top. Repel those annoying men, give them the cold shoulder.
Works great on.

Creepy coworkers
Naughty neighbors
Randy repairmen
Horney husbands
And many more!
If they give you the creeps, send them running with the " cold shoulder"

Use our easy pay program only 39 payments of 2.99 get yours now. And start giving the "cold shoulder".

101 percent satisfaction guaranteed or you get 49 percent of your money back.

(The very fine print) Cold shoulder top may not work well with every man. Eg Halitosis Hal, Comb-over Chris, or Persistent Pete. There may be undesirable results like you
getting cold shoulders, sunburned, and just looking ridiculous. Sorry no returns or exchanges if outfit is actually worn.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Ralph wrote:...I have to say, this "cold shoulder" trend is the most ridiculous fashion fad I've ever seen in nearly 60 years of life...
Since when is fashion ever logical?

I'm sure the designer would take your remark as a compliment for being original.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

OK, skirtsdad, I know it's not completely new, it has been around for a couple of years. I meant that it is not a recycled fashion idea. Compare ripped jeans, which are just so seventies to my eye. Or bootleg trousers, the style formerly known as flares.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

skirtyscot wrote:OK, skirtsdad, I know it's not completely new, it has been around for a couple of years. I meant that it is not a recycled fashion idea. Compare ripped jeans, which are just so seventies to my eye. Or bootleg trousers, the style formerly known as flares.
{bootleg trousers, the style formerly known as flares} Also known as sailor pants - bell bottoms ?
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

They have indeed been out for a few years and no, they are not my cup of tea. I too share in the vexing curiosity of the garments lore.

Additionally it also goes to show... "monkey see, monkey do". Women, like men are not all that revolutionary, they just have a bigger palette of clothing choices!

Ever notice that like men, despite the fact that women have ENDLESS clothing choices without the worry of being the odd woman out, most of them essentially dress the same and follow narrow fashion trends?

Amongst the teenage girls I've also noticed a trend in VERY short jean shorts with the bottom half of the rear pockets sticking out from under the shorts hem line.

*yawn*.... I'd like to see something truly original on a woman in public for a change.... Something classy and elegant, not "murican redneck" or little goody two shoes.....

Take this for example, I believe this is a female. At any rate, this person could never be accused of being boring, and certainly has her own style without a doubt!

-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

My first thought was:

The "DARK SIDE" of Alice in Wonderland (that top hat)

Or something from a "B" Hollywood movie by Edgar Allen Poe

And that detailed fashion outfit that only skirtsdad could put together from his thrift store forays LOL !

So moonshadow what was the source of this ? Very interesting !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

An absolutely fantastic outfit, which she says was for Hallowe'en. She may only have worn it during the day to get her photo taken, so maybe you won't see her out and about in it. But you never know; would you just wear your jeans if you had the choice of wearing that now and again? And it doesn't look cheap. Would you spend a fortune on that outfit and only wear it once?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Nice shot, Moon. It's good to see something out of the ordinary.

The example could be either Steampunk or neo-Victorian, likely with a bit of Goth thrown in -- and it looks fabulous.

I'm not a big fan of trousers nor boots, but that's a look that approximates quite a few of my tastes. I'd execute it with a skirt, but the way the blues play with the black is delightful and the shirt/blouse is exquisite. It would also look amazing executed with a crimson instead of the cobalt blue.

The single component that flipped it slightly into Goth territory was the bat-wing necklace.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

The inclusion of trousers instead of a long skirt tells us that this is not a genuine Victorian era outfit. If you look at the aliceholic.com website which appears to be where this photo first landed on the Internet, you will see that the woman prefers trousers. Each to their own,but some of her other pics there do look like she got dressed in a hurry, and came out without something important, viz her skirt.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtyscot wrote:The inclusion of trousers instead of a long skirt tells us that this is not a genuine Victorian era outfit.
Note that I did call it out as neo-Victorian which does not have to be anything close to "authentic". (In point of fact, it usually misses by a country mile.) But the cut of the rig and the play with colours was very nice indeed.
If you look at the aliceholic.com website which appears to be where this photo first landed on the Internet, you will see that the woman prefers trousers.
I took a quick squint at the site, but I have precisely no Japanese capability, and the thing "felt" "heavy" (as in slow to respond to anything).

As far as the trousers go, "There's no accounting for taste."
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!