Ladies' tops that are not feminine

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
jjjjohanne

Ladies' tops that are not feminine

Post by jjjjohanne »

I struggle to find ladies tops that I will wear. They are often too low cut, don't have sleeves, are cut for breasts, and are too girly. I need something less feminine in the transition to my head. Yet, I want something that will look good with a skirt.

I found a top that I love:
https://www.ashleystewart.com/snap-butt ... color=0001

It is form fitting and can be flattering, it has elbow-length sleeves, it is long waisted, it has a narrow neck, and it is not feminine.
Here is a picture or me wearing it on a recent outing:

What tops work for you?
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Ladies' tops that are not feminine

Post by Sinned »

I stay away from tops with a low neck at the front as these are mainly for showing cleavage and a hairy chest doesn't quite look right. I like vests and spaghetti strapped tops ( aka camisoles ) but anything with a high neck and sleeves to elbow is ok. Generally women's sleeve lengths are shorter than for men an end up with the cuff mid-forearm. The top you have on looks credible and I would wear it. I just treat each top on its own merits.

Incidentally I have the old question as to when does a long sleeveless vest become a short sleeveless dress?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I've tried a few and have mixed feelings.

In general I don't like the large neck holes, but I get around that by wearing a color-coordinated t-shirt underneath.

Size hasn't been too much of a problem because I usually buy ribbed fabrics with plenty of Lycra.

The difference between a long tunic and a short dress is pretty nebulous. It seems that if you wear it with leggings it's a tunic and if you wear it with tights it's a dress. Hmm. Of course many men-in-skirts affectionados seem to find the tunic and leggings look traitorous.

Women's tops tend to be made with thinner fabric than men's. You may like that or not.

If you wear a bra, and especially with inserts, a women's top will probably show it off more. Again, you may or may not like that.

All in all, wearing women's tops hasn't been nearly as edgy (i.e. interesting) as I expected.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

Today my wife and I bought some tops we can share wearing. (same size in breast and hip measurement ) Yes we share clothing like the old pink tunic with a lace hemline I'm wearing right now. Any top in black or any dark color can be worn by a man. All dark colored longshirts too. Ok, you have to look at the neckholes, but that's no big problem.

We live in the Netherlands, and we buy our (womens clothing in shops like Ulla Popken , MS fashion (MS Mode ) And online at Zalando, BonPrix and again MS Mode (MS fashion)
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I have several blouses from the distaff side and all of them work quite well. A couple are quite fancy with flounces or double-collars (but, oddly, not as fancy as my male-marketed "puffy shirts"), but the others are much more staid. Shots of most exist on my photo-thread, but it's a long wade to find them -- and even then they don't "stick out".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

A puffy peasant blouse works well with a Kilt just like a Jacobite shirt poet pirate shirt blouse !
May work just as well with other types of skirts.
Mix and match find the combination that suits (dresses) the occasion.
Put a feather in your cap and call it macaroni - Yankee doodle dandy !
Be like skirtsdad start a fashion revolution one pub at a time.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

Recently, it’s dawned on me how much more expensive Men’s T-Shirts are compared to Women’s T-Shirts.

For example, a quality Women’s long-sleeved T-Shirt will cost £6.50, while a decent Men’s equivalent will be around £30.

Similar ‘muted’ colours to the Men’s are available in the Women’s side of the aisle, so one can openly wear such items without reproach.

I’ve also noticed that Men’s collared shirts are adopting the type of patterns that would ordinarily be associated with Women’s patterned blouses. Again, buying such blouses shouldn’t attract attention - unless you look closely on which side the buttons are located.

I own a Women’s ‘mock’ sweater/blouse: a sweater that has a blouse collar that is stitched into the sweater’s neckline. Stealthy.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

jamodu, I am noted for being careful with money ( i.e. fairly tight ) and men's garments can cost a lot more than women's especially basics such as T-shirts, vests. So when similar are available on both sides of the aisle I opt for the cheapest and when identical the distaff since they are generally finer, lighter materials and more colourful. Men's jeans are a typical example as I can only get the bright colours from the women's aisle and men's can be loadsamoney. Levis used to produce black, white and other coloured jeans but have concentrated on blue of various shades. With blue I prefer ice blue ( i.e. a pale blue ). I am light on the wear factor so clothes last me a long time and I probably don't need to buy any more as I have loads.

As for tops I am choosy and have my own ideas on what is acceptable ( don't we all? ). I have even got a shirt ( blouse? ) that is black and see-through with puffy sleeves but I love to wear. It was most likely aimed at the woman but MOH gave me it ( to me? ) and I do wear it around the house in warm weather.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Caultron wrote:I've tried a few and have mixed feelings.
All in all, wearing women's tops hasn't been nearly as edgy (i.e. interesting) as I expected.
When I first started replacing boring men's shirts with women's tops, I tended to favor unfeminine ones. I wasn't yet into skirting. But now I find the girly ones are fun to wear -- both "edgy" and "interesting". They naturally go well with skirts. I now take much more care in assembling an outfit. I get compliments from both men and women, and that certainly never happened wearing a men's shirt. Feminine tops are just more "me".
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

skirtingtheissue wrote:...When I first started replacing boring men's shirts with women's tops, I tended to favor unfeminine ones. I wasn't yet into skirting. But now I find the girly ones are fun to wear -- both "edgy" and "interesting". They naturally go well with skirts. I now take much more care in assembling an outfit. I get compliments from both men and women, and that certainly never happened wearing a men's shirt. Feminine tops are just more "me".
Glad it's working for you.

I, however, get no more compliments (nor any less negativity) when wearing a woman's top. I really don't think people notice. I get compliments on utility kilts and high heel shoes, and not on skirts, tights, ot any sort of top.

But it does pay off to use care in assembling an outfit.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

I find my problem with ladies' tops are not the styles but the length; most of them have a short torso. If anyone finds a top of a decent length let me know!!!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yes, sometimes women's tops can be short in the body and if they are then I don't buy them. Basic T's, vests and camis generally come in two lengths - regular and long and I have sampled both. Price is about £2 to £2.50 for the regular and £3 to £3.50 for the long so the lower end of the price scale. Sometimes the longer length suits a skirt better than a regular one.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Sinned wrote:Yes, sometimes women's tops can be short in the body and if they are then I don't buy them. Basic T's, vests and camis generally come in two lengths - regular and long and I have sampled both. Price is about £2 to £2.50 for the regular and £3 to £3.50 for the long so the lower end of the price scale. Sometimes the longer length suits a skirt better than a regular one.

Sometimes the longer length suits a skirt better than a regular one

Amen to that !

So it is like "To Tuck or Not to Tuck" and does the tuck stay put ?

Some outfits the top should be tucked into the waist for a pleasing look and yet if too short what is the sense of it.
Thing or problem I have is if borderline why bother tucking if the first motion pulls the hem out anyway.
I don't wear a short top if the hem length is going to reveal a ribbon of flesh south of the navel.
Would I feel a cool draft up my spine - hell yes and it makes me wonder why I would wear that type of outfit.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

r.m.anderson wrote:...I don't wear a short top if the hem length is going to reveal a ribbon of flesh south of the navel.
Would I feel a cool draft up my spine - hell yes and it makes me wonder why I would wear that type of outfit.
It would be to show off your rock-hard chiseled abs.

Which, me neither, but if you got it, why hide it?

caultron
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Why are the items of the shelves blurred out?

I really like the skirt btw.

And if you want a non feminine "woman's" shirt just get a "women's" tee shirt. They are literally the exact same thing.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.