Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Charlie wrote:I saw a dog wearing trousers this morning (all four legs). I suppose the human equivalent would be long-johns. Yet to see a dog in a skirt though :(
I was in a denim kilt :D
Charlie
Found a dog in a skirt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

skirtyscot wrote:On the train to Glasgow today, sporting my purple jumper, navy cord short skirt, navy tights and purple shoes. So far, so normal. I got a group of four seats to myself, as I live out near the end of the line. After a few stops, a man got on and sat diagonally opposite me in the group of seats. A few more stops and another man got on and sat opposite me. I was doing the puzzles in the paper and ignoring them both, as you do.

A wee while later Mr Diagonally Opposite addressed the other: "Don't take photographs, it's very rude." I glanced up, and the man had his phone in his hand, pointing forwards and down at an angle. There followed a short and rather unfriendly exchange between them, the alleged photographer denying it. Now call me self-centred, but I had a notion that the subject of the pics might have been me. So a dilemma: should I chip in or not? If I said I didn't really mind, that would be more than a little unsupportive to Mr DO, who was trying to be helpful, but it was true. And it might have inflamed the situation. So being a total wimp who hates confrontation, I kept quiet and pretended not to hear.

(The fourth seat remained unoccupied, save by my bag; it was very comfortable, thank you very much!)

When the train reached the terminus, Mr Snap-Happy got off first, and I took the opportunity to thank the other guy. "Was that me he was taking pictures of?" He now seemed strangely reticent and mumbled half a reply. "I'm not bothered by it, you have to expect it when you have unusual fashion sense like I do. But thanks anyway." By this time we were alighting, and as he was still struggling to find his tongue, I went on my way.

What I find a bit odd is that the guy had the confidence to call the other guy out for the surreptitious photos, but then he came over all tongue-tied when I spoke to him. Maybe I was just too weird for him to cope with.
He was probably tongue-tied because of adrenaline, which causes laser-focus but difficulty switching focus. Also, perhaps you were not the only person he aimed his camera at. He might have been aiming it everywhere just to disguise the fact that he was really aiming to get a picture of you. If that's the case the tongue-tied gentleman might not have been defending you as much as correcting a behaviour he deemed improper at any time. (Yes, this has become a thing.)

I've had a guy pop into the street to get a good picture of me in a skirt. He even went so far as to try to gesture to me to arrange a better shot. I just ignored him. My policy is to not acknowledge that I am doing anything that should be considered special.
Daryl...
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Daryl wrote: I just ignored him. My policy is to not acknowledge that I am doing anything that should be considered special.
Good plan. Ultimately that is what we want everyone to think. Indulging onlookers is counterproductive in the long run. Consider the lifted kilts of the barmen of Inverness, in an article discussed in another thread. The bosses should have played it with a dead bat (or should that be a dead caman?) and told the customers to leave the staff alone. No story for the papers, but better in the end.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Usual coffee morning today. Unusual comment from a lady who said she liked my outfit, was it Buddhist?
Kirbstone, you may have had a point! (the birthday skirt) When enlightened she liked my skirt.
She then said that she would like to have a different term for a "Guy Skirt" as opposed to kilt. Why, I chose not to explore.
It was a perfectly cordial conversation but she displayed a shocking breadth of ignorance of the "Kilt".
More so she is Scottish and the ignorance is of her own heritage.
Steve.
PS The difference between a skirt and a Kilt is about £600.00!.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

STEVIE wrote:...The difference between a skirt and a Kilt is about £600.00!.
What, then, is a £75 utility kilt? A skirt? An abomination?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Yes, to be truthful.

Stevie was referring to top-of-the-range tailored bespoke kilts, which with the other bits, blouse, socks, jacket, sporran, sgian dubh, brogues &c can top £ Stg 1000.

I have one outfit, not quite so posh, involving a Lowland Potain jacket which topped £500. Other decent lighter kilts I have cost better than £250 a pop.....but I like kilts!
I also have relative cheapies from Sportkilt and the Scottish kilt Co (American) for comparison, and they don't, but they have their place.

Tom
Last edited by Kirbstone on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Kirbstone wrote:...Stevie was referring to top-of-the-range tailored bespoke kilts, which with the other bits, blouse, socks, jacket, sporran, sgian dubh, brogues &c can top £ Stg 1000...
I know.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Caultron,
I meant no offence and I was referring to a "bespoke" kilt.
There are plenty out there who would regard anything less as abominable.
They will even take offence at a female in one. Pure bigotry of course.
All kilts are skirts, just not all skirts are kilts.
In my own opinion, if I chose to wear a kilt design exclusively, I may as well wear trousers.
A choice of one is no choice at all.
Steve.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

STEVIE wrote:Caultron,
I meant no offence and I was referring to a "bespoke" kilt...
I know. No offense taken.

caultron
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Post by Eborian »

I was out this morning in Glastonbury and Street doing some shopping wearing a knee length denim skirt, purple opaque tights and black knee length boots.
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Post by Eborian »

Today I have been in Wells looking round the shops. Wearing a denim skirt, semi-opaque tights and flat shoes.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Yesterday while waiting in line at the Dollar General, a man ask me "what's up with the skirt?" I replied, "it's just how I roll..."

He replied "right on, for a second there, you reminded me of Pippi Longstocking."

I then replied "my style varies...".

Must have been the striped stockings. I later got home and looked up images of Pippi and don't see the resemblance. My hair doesn't stick straight out on both sides... :lol:

Although I like the character, and we seem to share a similar sense of style. I admit I've never read the books or watched the show, but she looks like a Tom boy. As a bit of "Jane Girl" myself, I took no offense as the character and I seem to be on opposite sides of the same coin... that being the challenging of gender roles. In fact, being called "Pippi" sounds pretty cool.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

What happens to me most days is I get the compliment, "Nice Kilt" even though I'm wearing
a black A-Line skirt. I do wear a wide belt & have a bag which I wear as a sporran. Maybe
that is why I get these kind of compliments, I wear it like a kilt. I usually say thanks and
continue on with my shopping.

I have had the 'question' as to "WHY" a skirt. My answer is, anyone can wear a skirt
- AND -
the comfort level is beyond belief. :D
:kiltdance: :kiltdance: :kiltdance: :kiltdance: :kiltdance: :kiltdance:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

moonshadow wrote:...Pippi Longstocking...
Go figure.

The stranger life gets, the more interesting.

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Bloody Hell, they don't half stare at you in Venice! I have never experienced anything like it. Bloody tourists! Bloody Italians! (And of course practically everyone is one or the other.)
Keep on skirting,

Alastair