Males must wear MUG in public

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
familyman34
Distinguished Member

Males must wear MUG in public

Post by familyman34 »

There is a country where males MUST wear unbifurcated garments in public, by law: Bhutan.

"Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal introduced national dresses for men and women during the 17th century in an attempt to lend a unique identity to the people of Bhutan. All Bhutanese citizens are required to observe the national dress code, known as Driglam Namzha, while in public during daylight hours. All Bhutanese have to wear their national dress in government offices, schools and all formal occasions. It was always customary to wear it but since 1990, it has been the law of the land and police may fine any Bhutanese who is not wearing official national dress in public. The law is said to be an effort to preserve and promote Bhutan’s cultural heritage." http://www.himalaya2000.com/bhutan/nati ... dress.html

The gho is an long and ample robe (think of a large dressing gown) that is worn hitched up to knee height with a belt so that the extra fabric forms a "pocket" at the waist and folds like a box-pleat at the back (see http://www.raonline.ch/pages/bt/visin2/bt_dress01b.html)

Lots of pictures (of men and women) at https://duckduckgo.com/?q=men+bhutan+tr ... &ia=images

Looks comfortable and practical!
Familyman34
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Males must wear MUG in public

Post by greenboots »

Looks great, though the shoes and socks are mostly western. A bit incongruous with trainers and hiking boots :)
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

It would take the fun away
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I heard that someone in Brutan a started a new website its called pantscafe. It has something to do with men wanting to be able to wear pants if they want
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Gusto10 wrote:It would take the fun away
Agreed! What is described in this thread isn't freedom at all... its.... dress tyranny!

Can't say that I support this.... but it's their thing.... As long as they're happy.
oldsalt1 wrote:I heard that someone in Brutan a started a new website its called pantscafe. It has something to do with men wanting to be able to wear pants if they want
I wonder if there's a member known as "Sunlight" [0] who constantly complains about almost getting fired for wearing pants on his own time?? :lol:

[0] I am just going to assume "Sunlight" would be the logical opposite of "Moonshadow".... :mrgreen:
Sunlight wrote: Pants didn't help, but really it's been going on long before that. The pants just put the final nail in the coffin. In fact, it could be said that this problem ultimately helped with my choice in dress. As they say... if you've got nothing, you've got nothing to loose.

:bom: :eye:

Oh, and there's probably a member named Dennis, who's real name is actually Sinned, and for the life of him, he just can't get his other half to get on board with the whole pants wearing thing.... :lol: :lol:

Sorry Dennis, I chose you because your username was the most reversible....

Of course, "NewPepper" (who could that be??) Who FINALLY gathered up the courage to go to his temple in pants!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Isn't it Bhutan that ranks the happiness of its people at an equal level as its GNP or GDP? This is coming back at me through the haze of years after having heard a BBC story on the topic perhaps a decade ago.

What a wonderful thought -- a country that actually cares how happy its citizens are not how rich the upper-crust is getting or how disgusting the politicos can act!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Moon, I don't mind at all. The sinned came from when I started in IT and needed passwords and I used the fact that reversal produced a sensible word and I could add 1,2, 3 etc to the end. There are so few names that can be reversed and be sensible and I was just fortunate ....

When I first started with skirts and thought that you had to go all the way in dressing up as a woman I also had, for a very short while, the alter-ego Denise. But that was five or six years ago. My name is thus quite flexible.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Ron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ron »

well if the law required me to wear a skirt or caftan they would not have to worry about me breaking the law