Double Standards

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Double Standards

Post by Freedomforall »

I am certain many of you have read comments posted by women concerning men wearing skirts. Certain comments seem to be prevalent and common among these posts. These are the ones I find appalling. "Only if they have nice legs"; "My man better not ever wear one"; "if men wear skirts, I am moving". This is such a double standard!!! Imagine if a man were to tell women they could only wear skirts if they have nice legs. National protests would erupt. I should also add this last popular comment as well. "That is so gay". Seriously, this is a major double standard.

The definition of the word man may be directly coupled to genitalia, through generations the definition has broadened to include one's strength, stature and sensibilities. We often toss around the notion of what makes a "real man" or a "great man". We liken these words to men like John. F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela, because those men were indeed all of those things. Now I ask you, would Martin Luther King have been just as great if all he wore were purple sweatpants? Could a frock have made Nelson Mandela any less of a man? In fact, Jesus himself wore a robe. I find it hard to believe that Jesus would think it prudent to don a pair of Levi's before the second coming just in case it called his manhood into question.

Ok, that is my short rant for the day. Have a great evening friends!
Last edited by Freedomforall on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feeling freedom
Distinguished Member

Re: Double Standards

Post by Feeling freedom »

Right on Freedomforall!!

Tell the women that the laws are to go back to the same as the old days where they cannot wear pants and see what happens there too!

Cheers!!
Personal style is important to me. Even when my outfits may contain skirts, tights and great ankle or riding length boots! I enjoy fashion and am excited to get in on the conversations with the like minded!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

A "real man" is one who appears to conform to a rigid, narrow, conventional image of masculinity. A few women may be some what open minded-willing to accept a man wearing, for example, a kilt. But some women are too narrow minded to accept even that.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Grok wrote:A "real man" is one who appears to conform to a rigid, narrow, conventional image of masculinity. A few women may be some what open minded-willing to accept a man wearing, for example, a kilt. But some women are too narrow minded to accept even that.
:soapbox:
From my view point it seems MOST women are extremely narrow minded. They are not the poor weak little angels that they like to say they are. Nearly every one that I have come across has but one objective in mind to CONTROL their husbands like slaves and not let them have any say in things.

There are some exceptions but they are very few and far between. Watch the news and see who are the loudest noise makers out there.

Just my two cents!
Climbing off the soapbox......

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

According to Grok's posted definition I am not a real man and tbh I'm not ashamed of that as I never felt a really close relationship with manness, ever.

Fred, well it seems that I have married a woman that has become very narrow minded. It sort of fits because I seem to recall that early in our marriage she was not so dominant and more open to different things. We used to wear matching things such as T-shirts, shoes and other things. Admittedly nothing as outre as skirts but I know that she has changed as have I. I'll admit that she is exerting control, although she wouldn't admit it so I am fighting on more than one front. But I can only push so far without destroying the relationship completely. Oh what a tangled web ....
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

There may be double standards. I've endured a few in my life, particularly with certain past coworkers.

Ahh... in the end people are going to run their mouths about something stupid no matter what you do. So what? They want to call us faggots, sissies, girlyboys? So what, women generally shy away from men like us? So what- a little less relationship drama to have to deal with.

I try not to even think about it anymore. No matter what you do, certain people are going to give you grief. F--k em! It's your life man! They're only your boss if you so promote them to that position.

But I think most people don't care what you do anyway. I think sometimes we tend to surround ourselves with psychic vampires who suck the life out of us. I know I've been blown away by how big a difference a little change in scenery can do for ones outlook on life in general.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Moon the difference is blatantly obvious with you. You are like a different person. A change in scenery was just what the doctor ordered for you.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I'd like to bring out a ray of hope for you.

Two weekends ago I invited a female work colleague over to lunch and wine. She's an inveterate trouser wearer - she hates skirts and tights. So far, so bad. However, she knows I wear tights under my suit, and is a fervent believer in equality - for both sexes.

She had never seen me in a skirt. After two bottles of wine, and a fantastic conversation about why men should be able to wear skirts, dresses, heels - and still be a man - off I went and came back wearing a skirt and sheer tights. She didn't bat an eyelid.

We talked and drank. She's single, and had finished a long term relationship about 8 years ago. Her partner was always referred to as "they". I asked directly - "male or female?" She smiled, face reddening and said "which do you think?" I said "female". I was right.

Two points here.

1. She has faced fear and uncertainty for being "different". She totally gets where we are coming from.

2. She totally understands the reasons why male appropriation of female gendered clothing is demeaning. It's because the sexes aren't seen as equals.

What a brilliant day. 4 bottles of wine later, we parted company, having found a supportive friend, and we both took a lot from the day. She even told me that I had great legs, and coming from a lesbian, I took that as the highest of compliments!

Final point - we talked about another woman at work - who is always in skirts, heels and hosiery (bare legs? Ugh!) - and who has expressed extreme admiration for comedian Eddie Izzard and his clothing choice. These women are out there. They are often scared to reveal their true emotions in case they are judged - but they exist.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Sounds like a great afternoon. Did you get any additional feedback when you met her back at work.

The sad underlying thing is that she can dress( wear Pants) as she wants at work with out any static.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Ray wrote:Final point - we talked about another woman at work - who is always in skirts, heels and hosiery (bare legs? Ugh!) - and who has expressed extreme admiration for comedian Eddie Izzard and his clothing choice. These women are out there. They are often scared to reveal their true emotions in case they are judged - but they exist.
Not only women, but men too. I remarked to the girls last night on how "normal" I have found people to be. I now work in so many different establishments, some traditional (Food City), some more trendy or "liberal", and even in these parts, I see people of all walks of life. I've been working at a restaurant in Johnson City TN all week, there are about three young men there who I just outright mis-gendered until I heard them talk. I actually thought by looking at them they were females, turns out they were men. They weren't wearing skirts granted, but still their hair, and the way they carried themselves made me think they were girls.

This wasn't uncommon at FoodCity, but it was always girls acting like boys. You'd never see a boy acting like a girl, that simply wasn't allowed.

The week prior to that I was working in a Walmart, I ran across a Jamaican, and someone who I'd assume was from Britain (the accent), both were working in the store. I've seen so much culture right here in my own backyard. Culture I never knew existed. It's clear to me now why so many people act like they don't care what I wear... because they don't.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Ray wrote:I'd like to bring out a ray of hope for you.

Two weekends ago I invited a female work colleague over to lunch and wine. She's an inveterate trouser wearer - she hates skirts and tights. So far, so bad. However, she knows I wear tights under my suit, and is a fervent believer in equality - for both sexes.

She had never seen me in a skirt. After two bottles of wine, and a fantastic conversation about why men should be able to wear skirts, dresses, heels - and still be a man - off I went and came back wearing a skirt and sheer tights. She didn't bat an eyelid.

We talked and drank. She's single, and had finished a long term relationship about 8 years ago. Her partner was always referred to as "they". I asked directly - "male or female?" She smiled, face reddening and said "which do you think?" I said "female". I was right.

Two points here.

1. She has faced fear and uncertainty for being "different". She totally gets where we are coming from.

2. She totally understands the reasons why male appropriation of female gendered clothing is demeaning. It's because the sexes aren't seen as equals.

What a brilliant day. 4 bottles of wine later, we parted company, having found a supportive friend, and we both took a lot from the day. She even told me that I had great legs, and coming from a lesbian, I took that as the highest of compliments!

Final point - we talked about another woman at work - who is always in skirts, heels and hosiery (bare legs? Ugh!) - and who has expressed extreme admiration for comedian Eddie Izzard and his clothing choice. These women are out there. They are often scared to reveal their true emotions in case they are judged - but they exist.
How was the day after?
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Sinned wrote:According to Grok's posted definition I am not a real man and tbh I'm not ashamed of that as I never felt a really close relationship with manness, ever.
A friend described my personality as being in the middle, between traditional masculinity and traditional femininity.
Last edited by Grok on Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Dennis,

You da man.... :wink: :lol:
-Andrea
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

FFA, you must be reading the wrong bits of the Internet. I have seen negative comments like those, but more often I see remarks such as "I don't know why men don't start wearing skirts. I can see why it would be more comfortable for them".
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

To all - back at work, all was fine with my colleague - but now with much warmer smiles :-)

Like me, she is a partner in a good sized accountancy firm, so we both have some influence. We're going to change things....