Christian Wilkins writes: 'Why I'll never stop wearing skirt

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Christian Wilkins writes: 'Why I'll never stop wearing skirt

Post by Mike »

https://honey.nine.com.au/2018/02/01/10 ... kins-skirt

My favorite Quote:
I’m sure we can all agree, male or female, there’s no better feeling than coming home and taking off one’s pants. If asked, most women would probably say wearing a skirt comes with a certain sense of liberation; a type of ‘emotional salvation’. It relaxes the mind, and the feeling of air on the upper thigh offers extreme relief.
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

Re: Christian Wilkins writes: 'Why I'll never stop wearing s

Post by Wonderful Electric »

What a great article. Looking through the Instagram, I’m a little sad that there aren’t that many skirts on him. Still it’s progress. He incorporates a feminine flair into his style that I like very much.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

No prizes for guessing who'll be the 'bride' when he does get round to marrying his boyfriend and what sort of gown the 'bride' will wear.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

From the article wrote:Yet they were wearing make-up, had long hair, and were designing glamorous skirts for men.

These looks, these collections, gave me a stirring in my pants
:tmi: :lol: :mrgreen:

Seriously, nice looking fella. Glad he's having fun. Here's to rising above the nay sayers....
From the article wrote:Yet one girl’s decision to comment on my photo surprised me. “Deuteronomy 22:5,” she wrote.

Perhaps slightly naïvely, I was half expecting this to be a positive quote from the Bible. Rather, the passage reads; “A woman must not wear men’s clothing, nor a man wear women’s, for the LORD your God detests anyone that does”.

Detests.
Believe it or not, nobody has pitched that one to me, though I have been called an "abomination" once by a small group of heckling redneck teens.

I rather like being an abomination, and find it's one of the few things I'm quite skilled at it would seem.

Here's to the sinners! :kiltdance: :toast:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Mike wrote:https://honey.nine.com.au/2018/02/01/10 ... kins-skirt

My favorite Quote:
I’m sure we can all agree, male or female, there’s no better feeling than coming home and taking off one’s pants. If asked, most women would probably say wearing a skirt comes with a certain sense of liberation; a type of ‘emotional salvation’. It relaxes the mind, and the feeling of air on the upper thigh offers extreme relief.
I think he's being optimistic with that statement. The women I know mostly never wear skirts and consider them uncomfortable. For them, skirts are only for "dressing up" and come with other burdens such as makeup and pantyhose and being careful to not expose themselves. One of them does wear skirts or dresses occasionally for comfort, and they are always long and full skirts. She might agree with the statement somewhat, but she does wear pants more often than skirts by choice.

Christian Wilkins certainly rocks the "femme" side of the style equation well, but he does appear to be mostly dressing up, not just dressing for ordinary activity. I guess that counts for a lot, though, with respect to increasing general acceptance of fashion alternatives in the world, so good on him.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

moonshadow wrote:
From the article wrote:Yet one girl’s decision to comment on my photo surprised me. “Deuteronomy 22:5,” she wrote.
...“A woman must not wear men’s clothing, nor a man wear women’s, for the LORD your God detests anyone that does”.
Here's to the sinners!
Yea, verily!

Of course, people who throw that quote around probably miss that it doesn't say anything about styles. God only knows why that admonition exists but since Deuteronomy speaks against eunuchs as well, we can probably assume that it is akin to an admonition against "trans", not a statement on fashions. If one's dress caused others to mistake one for a member of the opposite sex, or if being identified as such was one's purpose in dressing a certain way, then it would probably apply.
Daryl...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I'll take the liberty again to point up that Deuteronomy is obsolete doctrine unless you're an outright fundamentalist and only adhere to the Christian Old Testament. Also, neither the Old nor the New Testaments have any relevance whatsoever to non-Christians. Just saying.

It's a dead point, and those who sling it around are grasping at straws.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

I am not a believer but, even if I were, I would think it absurd that a Holy Scripture would dictate my fashion choices.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Stu wrote:I am not a believer but, even if I were, I would think it absurd that a Holy Scripture would dictate my fashion choices.
True, but occasionally believers will throw the argument in our face and we need a good accurate retort. (This is akin to telling them to move forward and join the 16th Century.)
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote:I'll take the liberty again to point up that Deuteronomy is obsolete doctrine unless you're an outright fundamentalist and only adhere to the Christian Old Testament. Also, neither the Old nor the New Testaments have any relevance whatsoever to non-Christians. Just saying.
It's a dead point, and those who sling it around are grasping at straws.
It is Old Testament and unless you are of the Jewish profession it does not apply to Christians as we are under grace and not the Law of the Old Testament. If you are a believer in something else it does not apply to you so don't worry, be happy and wear your skirts and dresses with pride and confidence. :kiltdance: :rock:

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Going back to Deuteronomy I don't think Jesus ever wore a pair of pants
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

And according to the experts Moses and his wife Marian? wore basically the same clothing, a loin cloth, a robe and if cold a jacket/shaw, if that is the case the English translation makes no sense. I believe the Jewish scholars prefer 1) a man should not become a woman or a woman a man eg gender or 2) a man should not do womanly things and a woman should not do manly things eg gender roles, that is why so they say that in Judges a woman kills an enemy of Israel using a knitting needle if she had used a knife she would have broken the law.

John
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

john62 wrote:And according to the experts Moses and his wife Marian? wore basically the same clothing, a loin cloth, a robe and if cold a jacket/shaw [...]
I believe the word would be "shawl" which is essentially a piece of cloth worn over the shoulders, perhaps small for adornment, or perhaps large for warmth.

By the time that things were being written down, sewing had been invented (along with all the technology that makes it possible), so robes would have been the norm in the cooler time of the year; loincloths would likely only have been used for heavy labour in the sun during the warmer times for the lower classes. On very hot days, nudity was likely common -- quite unlike today.

According to the histories I've read on costume male and female clothing only began to substantially diverge in about the 14th Century or so.
I believe the Jewish scholars prefer 1) a man should not become a woman or a woman a man eg gender or 2) a man should not do womanly things and a woman should not do manly things eg gender roles [...]
That is my understanding as well, although it is relatively modern thinking (at least by fundamentalist Christian standards). The overall thrust is likely to discourage masquerading for the intent of deception. Everything else piled atop it is excess baggage.
[... T]hat is why so they say that in Judges a woman kills an enemy of Israel using a knitting needle if she had used a knife she would have broken the law.
This is a matter of opportunity. Consider the situation: One is in mortal danger and needs a weapon. One grabs what one can find and uses it. This is not rocket-science. What would a man be thought of if he grabbed a handy knitting-needle to dispatch an attacker? Would he be thought an abomination? Or the modern woman using a gun? (Note what modern women Israeli soldiers carry.)
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

crfriend wrote:
john62 wrote: [... T]hat is why so they say that in Judges a woman kills an enemy of Israel using a knitting needle if she had used a knife she would have broken the law.
This is a matter of opportunity. Consider the situation: One is in mortal danger and needs a weapon. One grabs what one can find and uses it. This is not rocket-science. What would a man be thought of if he grabbed a handy knitting-needle to dispatch an attacker? Would he be thought an abomination? Or the modern woman using a gun? (Note what modern women Israeli soldiers carry.)
I think in the context of Old Testament law a man would be thought of as an abomination, that is why in the time of Christ there were the scribes and scholars that followed hundreds of laws that made ordinary life impossible and Christ called them vipers.

John
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Everything that needs to be said about this matter is right here in the last few replies:

For the heathens among us:
crfriend wrote: Also, neither the Old nor the New Testaments have any relevance whatsoever to non-Christians. Just saying.
For the born again:
Fred in Skirts wrote:It is Old Testament and unless you are of the Jewish profession it does not apply to Christians as we are under grace and not the Law of the Old Testament.
And as for the Jews... well I don't know. Adam Sandler is Jewish and he flat out played a woman in Jack and Jill, so even the Jews must not be too strict about the passage in question. I seem to observe that Jews really don't bother with what us gentiles are doing. I don't know how they handle each other with regards to old law. They do seem to be the most laid back of the three Abrahamic religions.

To be fair, though a good many traditional Christians might disapprove of men wearing skirts I believe there are a few reasons most stay quiet about their objections:
  • They understand we live in a free society, and it's our right to dress as we please.
  • They understand that they too are sinners, and am in no place to cast judgement.
  • They realize it's none of their business.
Also consider seldom do people object to things in real life. It's always over the internet. Why? Because they're chicken sh!its.

As for non traditional Christians, they'd probably be on our side.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.