A day at the VA clinic.....

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

A day at the VA clinic.....

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Well I had an appointment at the VA clinic today to see the dermatologist about a growth on my thigh. I wore a denim knee length skirt. No comments in the waiting room nor any sideways glances. When it was my turn to to the examining room the doctor did not comment on my skirt. After finding out why I was seeing him he said to me pull your dress up and let me see the growth. He then took a bottle that had funny shaped nozzle on it and sprayed it with liquid nitrogen. That was the only comment about the skirt and I did not correct him. I was afraid that it was a skin cancer but he assured me it was just a simple patch of irritated skin. After freezing it he told me it would blister up and then dry up and fall off. Big relief for me.

It just gets easier and easier to be skirted. :kiltdance:

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A day at the VA clinic.....

Post by SkirtsDad »

Well, most important thing is that it's nothing more that irritated skin. Good news there Fred :D

I don't recall if I've ever worn a skirt or dress to the doctors, but I've definitely worn micro-shorts :-) I wore a skirt when I visited the opticians, but then they are on the high street and I walk past them most days wearing a skirt or dress so they've seen what I usually wear anyway. Oh, and I also remember another occasion when I wore a skirt, over leggings I think, in front of healthcare professionals. That was when I took my son to be part of a study into ocd, adhd and autism. Nothing was said on either occasion, but then why should they? They are there in a professional capacity so it would really be out of place if they were to comment.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Our local VA has a 9 hole golf course I have played there 3 times in a s skirt, no problem I have a hearing loss that I have gone to the clinic for 3 trips all in a skirt no problem. But I have some other issues that I have a group for I haven't worn a skirt there . I don't think it would be a problem but I think it would cloud the issues.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

It makes a lot of sense to wear a skirt when your thigh needs to be looked at, otherwise it is necessary to drop the daks.
I wore a skirt to the hospital once because they told me to wear something loose and comfortable.
That liquid nitrogen is a quick fix - I have had about a dozen zapped off my face and hands but none off my legs - so a skirt must offer some shading from the sun, unless sitting.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

denimini wrote:It makes a lot of sense to wear a skirt when your thigh needs to be looked at, otherwise it is necessary to drop the daks.
I wore a skirt to the hospital once because they told me to wear something loose and comfortable.
That liquid nitrogen is a quick fix - I have had about a dozen zapped off my face and hands but none off my legs - so a skirt must offer some shading from the sun, unless sitting.
The growth I under stand came from my younger days of living on the beach and being as tan as I could get. :( I became so tan that I was able to stay on the beach all day without lotion and sunscreen and not burn. I have several that are starting to make them selves known but none are as advanced as that one. :roll:

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Fred in Skirts wrote: The growth I under stand came from my younger days of living on the beach and being as tan as I could get. :( I became so tan that I was able to stay on the beach all day without lotion and sunscreen and not burn. I have several that are starting to make them selves known but none are as advanced as that one. :roll:

Fred
At least we never suffered from a vitamin D deficiency.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

denimini wrote:
Fred in Skirts wrote: The growth I under stand came from my younger days of living on the beach and being as tan as I could get. :( I became so tan that I was able to stay on the beach all day without lotion and sunscreen and not burn. I have several that are starting to make them selves known but none are as advanced as that one. :roll:

Fred
At least we never suffered from a vitamin D deficiency.
Ain't that the truth!!! :lol:
Only after I came down with Diabetes did I suffer from Vitamin D shortage and my doctor told me that as we age our bodies stop making Vit D from the sun. So I am on a Vit D supplement of 4000 units per day. :)
Fred
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I am heading to the VA clinic tomorrow . I finally got a primary from the VA This guy is great . He is really making sure that I am ok He took an EKG in the office and didn't like the looks he said I have a history. so he is sending me for a stress test . Tomorrow I am going in for some blood tests. I already have my skirt picked out. Than Friday I am going in for Agent Orange screening. I never really used the VA I always felt that I was ok and that there were guys who need the service more than I did. Getting old now I guess things are catching up to me.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

For sure, the older you get, the more doctors you need to see.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

OS, MOH had a stress test about a year ago. It's apparently uncomfortable but not painful. With her it was induced by an injection which simulates exercise. She came out fine and there's nothing wrong with her heart apart from being made of gold ( except when considering my skirts ).
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Sinned wrote:OS, MOH had a stress test about a year ago. It's apparently uncomfortable but not painful. With her it was induced by an injection which simulates exercise. She came out fine and there's nothing wrong with her heart apart from being made of gold ( except when considering my skirts ).
Dennis, I thought your skirt wearing would have been enough of a stress test for YOH.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Got some medical problems so I am checking into the VA hospital in NYC Monday.

Be in for at least a week.

I am checking in wearing a skirt. Have to take a few tests on Monday before I officially check in so I will be moving around the hospital all afternoon in my skirt.

Operation is on Tuesday Be in about 6 days. hoping that after a couple of days I will be able to change into my own clothes . What I am bringing are long tunics.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

I wish you all the best.

I hope it will not keep you off the Philly cheese steaks permanently. :wink:
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yes, hope everything goes well and it's nothing serious. None of us likes going into hospital.

I had bad news about a week ago about a work colleague of mine that I had known for many years through my children's school. She went on holiday to France and fell downstairs and hit her head. There was bleeding in the brain and they had to induce a coma for a short while. She is conscious now but confused and has memory problems. She is returning shortly but will be going straight into a local hospital. It's sad how one's life can change in a few seconds and it may be months, if ever, before she gets back to work. Since I heard, I savour each day that I am still healthy. Her husband had an accident a few months ago and injured his leg and has just been able to walk normally again.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:Got some medical problems so I am checking into the VA hospital in NYC Monday.
Good luck, sir! We'll keep the (blinken) lights on for you.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!