What if men in skirts was totally accepted by society?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What if men in skirts was totally accepted by society?

Post by Kilted_John »

I don't think anything will change for me, if it occurs. Except that I probably would be more likely to be able to get away with a skirted job search.

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

To be perfectly honest, it doesn’t matter a lick to me if skirt wearing men were accepted by society or not, I’d go on wearing what I like. I wear skirts as part of an overall fashion statement since I look better in women’s clothing than I do men’s, so, nothing would change for me, even if society’s mindset about skirt wearing men did.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I would find some that were right for wearing to the office. As I am rarely trousered away from work, I would join the ranks of the never - trousered. (Except when they are necessary for protection.)

Actually I reckon I have some that would be fine for the office already. All I need is the critical mass to make it OK. I'm doing my bit; where is my support?
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

skirtyscot wrote:I would find some that were right for wearing to the office. As I am rarely trousered away from work, I would join the ranks of the never - trousered. (Except when they are necessary for protection.)

Actually I reckon I have some that would be fine for the office already. All I need is the critical mass to make it OK. I'm doing my bit; where is my support?
Just wear knee-length skirts with dark tights, and say it's more comfortable than trousers should anyone dare to ask :roll:
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

That's the general idea, kilty, and I have some which fit the bill. I haven't yet plucked up the courage to turn up wearing one of them, but I am softening my colleagues up so when the big day comes it won't be a complete surprise.

They have seen me in my plain kilts a few times; enough that they no longer get much of a reaction. But before staff parties people (mostly women) do ask if I will be wearing one.

When I arrived at a staff night out in my pink trousers and suede ankle boots, each seemed to draw roughly equal numbers of comments. I have since worn those boots and my leather pair to work quite a few times and nobody has commented or (apparently) noticed. I confess to being just a tad disappointed about this!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

skirtyscot wrote:That's the general idea, kilty, and I have some which fit the bill. I haven't yet plucked up the courage to turn up wearing one of them, but I am softening my colleagues up so when the big day comes it won't be a complete surprise.

They have seen me in my plain kilts a few times; enough that they no longer get much of a reaction. But before staff parties people (mostly women) do ask if I will be wearing one.

When I arrived at a staff night out in my pink trousers and suede ankle boots, each seemed to draw roughly equal numbers of comments. I have since worn those boots and my leather pair to work quite a few times and nobody has commented or (apparently) noticed. I confess to being just a tad disappointed about this!
I guess as long as the right people like HR know, and if it's not really going to bother customers if in a customer-facing role, just go for it! If they've seen the plain kilts and its no big deal, just wear a lack pencil with black tights, and carry on as normal. All your pictures look good, and I'm sure some of your colleagues have already figured out! Under LGBT rules, it's fine, so the ball's in your court! People know gender fluid and I think more have issue with it being thrust in their face and forced to accept it, like how India on Big Brother made it such a big deal mentioning it every second :roll:
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Instagram pic of a guy in a black skirt
26869940_1190361374431216_3253605522502320128_n.jpg
Which looks quite respectful. Not my picture, but shows that it is gaining acceptance by society :wink:
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

Post by Wonderful Electric »

The above is a great look. I love it!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Simples, our work would be done.
Nobody would care or even, notice.
I could live with that, could YOU?
Name your next challenge!
Steve.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Mike wrote:...I've worn skirts everywhere imaginable, haven't been kicked out, ridiculed, or molested. In my world, skirts for men IS totally accepted by society. My pantyhose too!
Exactly.

I'm not sure that the idea of skirts for men is totally accepted, at least to the point of being commonplace. But the idea of being able to wear whatever you want does seem to be accepted, and for me that's good enough.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

kilty wrote:Instagram pic of a guy in a black skirt...Which looks quite respectful. Not my picture, but shows that it is gaining acceptance by society.
Yes, there you go.

I wonder what his story was? Like, is the jacket from a military uniform, or a hotel uniform, or what?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

Post by Wonderful Electric »

The jacket looks military from the epaulettes and the brass chain. Great proportions and silhouette.
tesjolts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by tesjolts »

I'm not so sure what would happen, but seeing what happened with women after decades they have been wearing pants...and now you can hardly see them wearing skirts anymore.
Maybe men would stop wearing pants, or keep them for special ocassions only.

Tes
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

No Skirt Cafe and all the like-minded friends across the world :(
Charlie
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Charlie wrote:No Skirt Cafe and all the like-minded friends across the world :(
Ah, the joys of living in a sub-culture.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!