Sumptuary Culture

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Sumptuary Culture

Post by Mike »

Not sure what to make of this, really.

https://www.sumptuaryculture.com/products/skirt
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sumptuary Culture

Post by Gregg1100 »

Skirt is good--they seem to be saying unisex.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

First thing I noticed: The female model is awfully flat in the chest. I have noticeable chest mounds (40 DD). If she went topless in the prudish US on a beach she would likely be arrested, but I could get by wearing trunks and being topless since I'm a man.

I also see around her chest area the skin is pale as she wore a top when she was out in the sun. Stupid, stupid double standards are at play.

John
Last edited by JohnH on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

I had a look at all the items and they were all worn by members of both genders, if we may still speak of genders in what is becoming a genderless society.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Gusto10 wrote:I had a look at all the items and they were all worn by members of both genders, if we may still speak of genders in what is becoming a genderless society.
Sorry to nit-pick here, but how could you tell their gender by looking at them? [Did you mean "both sexes"?]
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Shapeless skirt really, but it DOES have proper pockets. The girl looks pre-pubescent, with no mammaries and thick legs

The waist elastic looks like the skirt would fall down around one's ankles at a moments notice.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Some mature women are flat-chested.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

As for the skirt at $40.00 it is not over priced but is not what I would pay. As for the female model I think she is about mid twenties or so. :|
But the biggest thing that would keep me from buying it is that it don't fit!!! :lol: Way to small for me!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Fred in Skirts wrote: But the biggest thing that would keep me from buying it is that it don't fit!!! :lol: Way to small for me!
Those skirts are also way too small for me too. I have a 6-pack ab; the kind you get after drinking too many 6-packs of beer. :D

John
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Check out the "about us" page and the "blog"...

It says "we are a boy from the United States and a girl from Pakistan", yet it doesn't seem to say where they are living now...
from the 'about us' page wrote:Hey, why do women have so many beautiful clothing options to chose from, while the men's section is a sea of greys and blacks? Why does gender neutral mean grey oversized sweat pants and sweatshirts? Women don't need pockets? Is it really that emasculating for men to call a "bun" a "bun" instead of coining the term "man bun".
THIS IS HOW WE BEGAN
We are a boy from The United States and a girl from Pakistan. We strive to use the scientific method rather than by blind faith or tradition, to introspect on what we do and fight for human rights throughout the global community.
We aren't telling you that all you need to do is buy our clothes, but a better understanding of the world helps to better enjoy the world, and we are here to open peoples eyes through fashion as a medium.
We believe clothing is just clothing, it doesn't define you, label you, it has been given too much importance in the sense of what it means, when all it is, is a moment in time where we decided that, "today this is what ill wear".
There is no way this is an American company....

Checking out some of their other sites, facebook, twitter, etc. They do not appear to have a large following yet. Best of luck to them.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Nothing special about that skirt.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

JohnH wrote:First thing I noticed: The female model is awfully flat in the chest. I have noticeable chest mounds (40 DD). If she went topless in the prudish US on a beach she would likely be arrested, but I could get by wearing trunks and being topless since I'm a man.

I also see around her chest area the skin is pale as she wore a top when she was out in the sun. Stupid, stupid double standards are at play.

John
Oh how I agree with you.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I must admit that I had to look a few times to make sure that I was seeing what I was seeing. But kudos to them for ignoring society's straightjacket and showing male and female in the same light. Admittedly she isn't well endowed but not all women are handed the same packages in this life. I admire her confidence in her own body and the cojones to pose like that. Most women with her slight physique probably wouldn't. No shame in it and I must admit that I have more up top than what she has.

But having said all that, the skirt is described as A-line and seems to have decent pockets but at a maximum 28" waist I suspect that it wouldn't fit most on this site, myself included. They have vastly reduced their market with this offering. At $40 it probably isn't overpriced but still too much for me.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

Post by Wonderful Electric »

The male model is traditionally handsome, but the woman is not a typical fashion model at all. She’s very atypical and her non traditional look makes the garment appear more interesting than it is. This was like the old American apparel ads where they had models who were not professionals. Just people from the street that the founder wanted to masturbate in front of (true story).

The message is clear though. Skirts are for men and women. We should be happy with that.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Sinned wrote:I must admit that I had to look a few times to make sure that I was seeing what I was seeing. But kudos to them for ignoring society's straightjacket and showing male and female in the same light. Admittedly she isn't well endowed but not all women are handed the same packages in this life. I admire her confidence in her own body and the cojones to pose like that. Most women with her slight physique probably wouldn't. No shame in it and I must admit that I have more up top than what she has.
I'm glad the female model does not appear to be ashamed of her body which is great. The last thing she needs is a couple of foreign objects in her chest, known as breast implants. Likewise those of us men who are well endowed in the chest area don't need mastectomies unless there is cancer present.