What if men in skirts was totally accepted by society?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What if men in skirts was totally accepted by society?

Post by Jim »

I'd prefer the total acceptance and wear skirts more often. I'd rather not get attention. I wear skirts in spite of them maybe getting people to notice me.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I began wearing skirts following groin surgery. Wearing pants or shorts hurt. I found out how comfortable skirts are and continue to wear them. We live in a resort area and everyone dresses more casual than most places, plus the climate encourages less than formal. I like to wear skirts for driving and enjoy the full effect of the air conditioner. I like to hike and skirts afford unlimited stride and ventilation, freedom and comfort. I have never been noticed, stared at, or commented on. I feel very relaxed and free. I don't flaunt it, but I wear skirts that resemble shorts. I bought some scrub skirts and had them shortened. They have an elastic waist, pockets, are light weight, and well proportioned to fit how I like. They are also cheap.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

The short answers:
Brad wrote:What if a man wearing a skirt was so accepted by society and so commonplace that a man in a skirt would no longer get the attention they get now?
I always get attention, even if I'm wearing trousers, so how will it be any different?
Brad wrote:How many of you would still want to wear a skirt, or have the same desire to wear a skirt that you have now?
My desire is to wear clothes, including skirts, trousers, sequin shorts etc. that allow me to be creative. Skirts, especially short ones, are so versatile. Unless people are going to wear exactly what I am wearing, why should I worry if they wear skirts?

Brad wrote:Would any of you want to be just another man in a skirt?
If I had wanted to be a clone then I would have lived and dressed differently my whole life. I am an individual. Even if skirt wearing men were commonplace, would that make me "just another man in a skirt"?
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

SkirtsDad wrote:
Brad wrote:Would any of you want to be just another man in a skirt?
If I had wanted to be a clone then I would have lived and dressed differently my whole life. I am an individual. Even if skirt wearing men were commonplace, would that make me "just another man in a skirt"?
Skirtsdad there is no way you would be "Just another man in a skirt". Your style would not let that happen, you are an individual, someone who stands out with great style and looks.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Freedomforall wrote:This brings to light an interesting paradox. How many of us would consume the fruit were it forbidden? I for one would still wear them as it is more about comfort for me. Having said that I do at times like the attention and the thought of changing societal norms. There are times however when I just don't have the energy to wear one. I may want to, but for whatever reason of the moment my energy is low. For me it takes energy to wear a skirt. I have to walk in like I own a place.
I feel the same of late, perhaps it's down to the weather, people hide themselves away in winter, so it's more black skirts or greys for me, with boring black tights and boots. The energy you sometimes need to project yourself as sexy and confident can be draining, so I can see why girls now just wear trousers more. Having to sit and walk demurely in heels can be tiring and the novelty has worn off as I find most people ignore (or unsee) me. I think the problem for most guys is society still sees that skirt=woman (apart from kilt=Scotland), so unless one goes full femme it can be a challenge just to throw on a denim skirt and get out there. Perhaps when spring comes this will get better. I do like some attention I get when skirted, especially if my skirt is tight or short :wink:
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

I wear skirts all day when I can. And my wife doesn't care right from the start. She encouraged me in wearing skirts by helping me choose the right skirt online.
I wear them for comfort only, and I would enjoy to see more skirts around.
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I was happy wearing pants and shorts like all other men until I tried a skirt. It was the coolness and comfort that hooked me on skirts, although I confess I have enjoyed breaking with convention. I can't imagine giving up skirts and would still probably challenge convention as far as style and colour. I used to choose pants and shorts from the "other side" to get a better fit and brighter colours.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

SkirtsDad wrote:I always get attention, even if I'm wearing trousers, so how will it be any different?
This. Exactly. I've worn skirts everywhere imaginable, haven't been kicked out, ridiculed, or molested. In my world, skirts for men IS totally accepted by society. My pantyhose too!
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Mike,
At 6'5" without heels there aren't too many people who would be openly rude to you.....about anything.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

Naw, I'd keep on doing what I'm doing now. I enjoy it.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

[quote="Kirbstone"]At 6'5" without heels there aren't too many people who would be openly rude to you.....about anything.[/quote\
That's one of the benefits of being tall. However, there are drawbacks as well...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

If skirt wearing men were commonplace in western culture, I'm pretty sure my style would still stand out on it's own. So there would always be heads to turn. Even in my trouser wearing days, I managed to stir conversation with what I wore. It may be hard to believe, but a man wearing bib overalls, tee-shirt underneath with a hillbilly hat is not very common around here.

That said, I think it would be nice to maybe not draw as much attention to myself. Sometimes I want to enjoy the comfort and self expression that comes with skirts and dresses, but don't really feel like putting on a show for the public.

Besides, if skirts were accepted, and so were trousers... well... what's left?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

I'd still wear skirts, I get annoyed when I feel pushed to wear pants these days, be that because of someone's problem with the skirts, weather, or some form of practicality. (working under a vehicle for example)

I would really start pushing the envelope though, I have several skirts that I do not wear at work, not because they're indecent or inappropriate (the girls wear much more outrageous stuff at times) but because I can't get over the jarring nature of my male form and the skirts in public. Also dresses, which I have worn in public a few times already, and I know I can wear them at work, but... just a step too far at the moment.

As an aside, I bought a long down coat (ladies) a few weeks ago, and have worn it into work, along with the knee high boots. Doing so meant I could skip the snow pants, though there are still some physical limits, about -20C so far.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I suspect that only a minority of men would try skirts, with most sticking to twin tubes.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I believe that when skirts are accepted for men to wear around town, it will be in resort areas where the climate would permit it. Where we live, men wear shorts year around. I think backpackers and hikers would be the first group to break through as many are already wearing skirts or kilts. Skirts and kilts are very practical for outdoor wear, hiking, golf, camping.