Foot and Leg Wear, Socks, Stockings, Leggings, Tights, Etc.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Foot and Leg Wear, Socks, Stockings, Leggings, Tights, E

Post by Daryl »

Caultron wrote:
Daryl wrote:...Leggings are just tight pants. They are unsuitable for men (especially without a skirt). They look great on many females, but are always inappropriate without a skirt (much as I like seeing them without). I have seen guys wearing them...
I sometimes wear "jeggings" (which are leggings with faux pockets and side seams to make them look like jeans) when going out with my wife, because with rare exceptions she still refuses to be seen with me skirted in public.

And for cold weather hiking I sometimes wear smooth leggings under my utility kilt, because to me that's still better than (ugh) trousers.

As to wearing smooth leggings as one's only lower coverage, that does seem rather rakish, because men don't usually show off their shape that way. Then again, men do wear spandex tights for cycling and running. So if you've got the bod...
...Hide it! :)

Your wife is more okay with you in jeggings than with a skirt? I think I've just been rendered speechless.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

SkirtsDad wrote:Unfortunately, manufacturers and others seem to have made it almost impossible to understand what people are talking about by interchanging the usage of words...
In the UK , tights were always a footed thin garment: https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries. ... ish/tights and leggings were a heavier footless piece of clothing.... so, ballet dancers wore tights and sports people, runners etc. wore leggings.... only Nike and some others decide to call these tights. UK tights = US pantyhose... or at least it did. I notice that Merriam-Webster describes tights as a "skintight garment covering the body from the neck down or from the waist down". So now, it seems, a full length bodysuit can also be referred to as tights! :?
It all confuses me, I must admit.

So what then is a leotard (other than a person with learning difficulties born between July 22 and August 22)?
Daryl...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Daryl wrote:So what then is a leotard (other than a person with learning difficulties born between July 22 and August 22)?
A form-fitting one-piece garment that covers the torso.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Bertino56
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bertino56 »

Of course "leggings are not pants."
They're better!
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Redefinition:
  • Pantyhose = Thinnie
    Tights = Thin
    Leggings = Thins
    Fleece-lined Tights = Midi thins
    Fleece-lined Leggings = Maxi thins
So there! :D

So you can go out in the winter in your thinnie-thin-thins..... :scratch: ok....going to my room.....
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Daryl wrote:Your wife is more okay with you in jeggings than with a skirt? I think I've just been rendered speechless.
Jeggings are two-legged.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I wore a pair of 200 denier tights yesterday. Even though it was quite cold and I sported a thin sweater dress, the tights kept my legs nice and warm.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

300 Den Thermal( Nora Batty type) tights available at Asda for £4. Excellent under jeans or leathers. Thermal long johns and vests- I never buy men's versions, only ladies. Men ones are so scratchy and rough, even the thought of them want to make me scratch. They got thrown away after first use. Women will not tolerate rough underwarmers(?), and nor do I now.. Checkout Damart Thermalactyl body warmers.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Caultron wrote:
Daryl wrote:Your wife is more okay with you in jeggings than with a skirt? I think I've just been rendered speechless.
Jeggings are two-legged.
Indeed, that one symbol encapsulates the entire problem we face.
Daryl...
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Daryl wrote:
Caultron wrote:
Jeggings are two-legged.
Indeed, that one symbol encapsulates the entire problem we face.
Indeed.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

I am thinking about knee sleeves for arthritis. Basically a tube that covers the knee, and the leg partly above and below the knee. I understand that they keep the knees warm.

Imagine a rig that includes skirt, knee sleeves, socks and shoes.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Grok wrote:I am thinking about knee sleeves for arthritis. Basically a tube that covers the knee, and the leg partly above and below the knee. I understand that they keep the knees warm.

It does not sound bad as I could use some of those knee sleeves myself. :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

Grok wrote:I am thinking about knee sleeves for arthritis. Basically a tube that covers the knee, and the leg partly above and below the knee. I understand that they keep the knees warm.

Medium Support Tights or pantyhose can also give relief to creaky knees. :wink: :)
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

OK, so do it. They're not a sign of weakness, they're a sign of determination.

Is there a question?

caultron
skirtpettiman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtpettiman »

I recently bought some over the knee socks from My Socks via Amazon. £25 for 5 pairs. Amazon described them as unisex although when I visited the My Socks website directly I found them in the women's section. Link is: www.mysocks.co.uk/over-the-knee-socks-plain.html. Although they go over my knees in practice I found the tops would drop to just below the knee when walking but would then stay there. I would definitely recommend as they are comfortable and go well with my midi skirts in this cooler weather.