What Is the Lure of Skirts?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What Is the Lure of Skirts?

Post by JeffB1959 »

Short and sweet: Skirts look great on me, especially form hugging pencil skirts and miniskirts that show off my legs, and I feel great when I wear them. Nothing more complicated than that.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Daryl wrote:I chose the word "lure" carefully. "Appeal" is too easy to answer. "Compulsion" too strong, perhaps even accusatory, but it is probably closer to my meaning.
I'm not sure I've ever been lured by a skirt, but I do find skirts alluring. Even just the aesthetic can be really pleasing. That's why mine are on display rather than hidden in a wardrobe. The variations are virtually boundless... there are numerous types of waistband from elasticated to buckled to wrapped. The seemingly endless range of materials, lengths, textures, colours and adornments all add to the fascination for me. That's even before I've put it on. Wearing a skirt can change the way one walks depending, for instance, on how tight it is, how flowing the material, how stretchy etc. What better than to have a skirt that lifts upwards and outwards when one spins round?
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

None better SD. I like flippy bottomed skirts, coming to just below knee, then the flip. So many choices, styles- women have it all. Our style, nicked again by women, lol
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

SkirtsDad wrote:
Daryl wrote:I chose the word "lure" carefully. "Appeal" is too easy to answer. "Compulsion" too strong, perhaps even accusatory, but it is probably closer to my meaning.
I'm not sure I've ever been lured by a skirt, but I do find skirts alluring. Even just the aesthetic can be really pleasing. That's why mine are on display rather than hidden in a wardrobe. The variations are virtually boundless... there are numerous types of waistband from elasticated to buckled to wrapped. The seemingly endless range of materials, lengths, textures, colours and adornments all add to the fascination for me. That's even before I've put it on. Wearing a skirt can change the way one walks depending, for instance, on how tight it is, how flowing the material, how stretchy etc. What better than to have a skirt that lifts upwards and outwards when one spins round?
Well, those are all good reasons to want to wear skirts, but that's not really my question. Are those reasons enough on their own to cause you to ignore the very strong social policing against men wearing skirts? Most of us submit to that pressure and never dare to defy it, because the possible consequences of such defiance are too severe. Would you say there is any particular thing so attractive about skirting that it was strong enough to be decisive in overcoming that pressure?
Daryl...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Daryl wrote:[... T]hose are all good reasons to want to wear skirts, but that's not really my question. Are those reasons enough on their own to cause you to ignore the very strong social policing against men wearing skirts? Most of us submit to that pressure and never dare to defy it, because the possible consequences of such defiance are too severe. Would you say there is any particular thing so attractive about skirting that it was strong enough to be decisive in overcoming that pressure?
In my case, the preference for skirts is down to comfort, a wider selection of fabrics/styles/colours, and the physical sensations of wearing one. As far as the "possible consequences of such defiance" goes, I engage in active risk-management when contemplating what to wear on any given day and under any given set of foreseen circumstances.

In reality, for most people, I suspect the real risk is pretty low unless you live in a particularly uncivilised part of the world -- it's the perceived risk that frightens most off and "keeps them in line" (or, "on the path"). There was one on-line weblog entry (I detest the term "blog") asserting, "Go ahead and judge me, because I'm judging you" where the author rightly points up that he has no interest in associating with someone who could be so shallow as to immediately dismiss him simply for sartorial preferences; he simply writes those individuals off instead of worrying about them. There is wisdom in that approach.

There are few places I'll go whilst wearing a skirt. I may get a pass because of my physical stature, but I'm also a reasonable conversationalist and can turn minds that way; after a short while the attention drifts away from the skirt as a conversation evolves. It's actually rather remarkable how fast that process happens.

The long and the short of it is, "Know your situation, be aware of your surroundings, and if the rewards outweigh the risk -- go for it."
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

The emotional lure is the joy of wearing something usually considered feminine, to express something about who I am. The practical lure is the superb comfort.

-----Henry
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

Daryl wrote:Well, those are all good reasons to want to wear skirts, but that's not really my question. Are those reasons enough on their own to cause you to ignore the very strong social policing against men wearing skirts? Most of us submit to that pressure and never dare to defy it, because the possible consequences of such defiance are too severe. Would you say there is any particular thing so attractive about skirting that it was strong enough to be decisive in overcoming that pressure?
Took me a while to work out how best to explain it.... I think the easiest is to say that I've always worn what I want to.... whether that be an embroidered Afghan coat (back in the 1970s), black suit with orange chalk stripes or lime green trouser together with a red top and orange belt. For me, a skirt is really just an extension of that. I want to wear a skirt, so why shouldn't I? I've never been afraid to look different from the people around me so social policing doesn't really come into it.... I never really had a problem in wearing skirts to parties, but it did take quite a while to gain enough confidence to walk around the supermarket or go to the pub in one. In terms of what a skirt or dress out provides for me is a lot of attention and means for people to break the ice. If I don't feel like being so sociable I can just wear trousers.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Allure: to entice by charm or attraction

It's different.
Very comfortable.
Interaction with the wind.
Fascinating in that I can wear the "pixie" (tights and short skirt) look and it still looks good, even on me.
Delightful and pleasing to look down and see the horizontal hemline at or above the knees.
It has been known to arrest passers-by in a classic double-take.
A fair number of ladies seem to find the look appealing, of some interest, even intriguing; and it's fun to invite their attention.
Freedom of motion

When I first wore a dress, the gob-smacked look on the face of this one lady who could only say "Sir....your attire....." Whereupon I looked down, then back to her and said "Comfortable, isn't it?"

I like it. I also like being a guy, like the ladies, and have no interest in anything else.

It's equality.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

SkirtsDad wrote:
Daryl wrote:Well, those are all good reasons to want to wear skirts, but that's not really my question. Are those reasons enough on their own to cause you to ignore the very strong social policing against men wearing skirts? Most of us submit to that pressure and never dare to defy it, because the possible consequences of such defiance are too severe. Would you say there is any particular thing so attractive about skirting that it was strong enough to be decisive in overcoming that pressure?
Took me a while to work out how best to explain it.... I think the easiest is to say that I've always worn what I want to.... whether that be an embroidered Afghan coat (back in the 1970s), black suit with orange chalk stripes or lime green trouser together with a red top and orange belt. For me, a skirt is really just an extension of that. I want to wear a skirt, so why shouldn't I? I've never been afraid to look different from the people around me so social policing doesn't really come into it.... I never really had a problem in wearing skirts to parties, but it did take quite a while to gain enough confidence to walk around the supermarket or go to the pub in one. In terms of what a skirt or dress out provides for me is a lot of attention and means for people to break the ice. If I don't feel like being so sociable I can just wear trousers.
Well that's interesting. You already had a kind of "dress different" thing going on so it wasn't that much of a leap, but you still had to gain confidence to go to the supermarket in a skirt. What was the source of that need for confidence, if not the prospect of social policing?
Daryl...
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

In other threads I have covered the reason I like skirts in a rational sort of manner, and how I started with some humour plus a bit of poignancy.
The "lure" of skirts evokes something more than that rational explanation and perhaps accounts for my behaviour more than I think.
I can not really answer it easily with words but I offer the following:
skirts1s.JPG
skirts2s.JPG
On a hot day standing in a cool breeze with my light-weight skirt flicking against my legs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

That is quite a collection. I think I have a little over 20 skirts. But for the unmentionables I wear to the beach, I think I can top you slightly. :wink:
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

denimini wrote:In other threads I have covered the reason I like skirts in a rational sort of manner, and how I started with some humour plus a bit of poignancy.
The "lure" of skirts evokes something more than that rational explanation and perhaps accounts for my behaviour more than I think.
I can not really answer it easily with words but I offer the following:
skirts1s.JPG
skirts2s.JPG
On a hot day standing in a cool breeze with my light-weight skirt flicking against my legs.
A very poetic response. :)
Daryl...