Interesting discussion of men in skirts in the workplace

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Interesting discussion of men in skirts in the workplace

Post by crfriend »

Hemitom wrote:When she said "Whatever" and stormed off ment she had nothing else to say...
That's the disconnect between rational thought and emotional response kicking in. If everything was rational the objections would disappear handily; however, it's not rational, and men are just as capable of falling into the "emotional trap" as women as evidenced by an episode between my late ex and I several years back when she objected to something being "too nice for you" (her words) which threw me for a loop. In retrospect, that should have been viewed in the context of her brain dying, but that didn't become clear for another couple of years.

If one is lucky, brain death occurs fairly quickly -- within a few minutes; if one is unlucky, it can take years. I fervently hope I'm going to be in the former classification.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

OK, this is a subject very dear to my heart. This was a Summer outfit, comfortable but not a favourite. I seem to be back in the café.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Woohoo! You're back! Welcome back, Stevie. Nice look btw. You need to borrow Red shoes from Carl or Moon though :-)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

That's my first dress as a "guy"! Still, a work outfit. The black shoes were a deliberate contrast. Work wise, I have better, outdoor last Autumn and more conservative.
Guys, your managers' opinions to their own men do not matter. The professional relationship is what counts, most times! There will always be some adverse attitudes from male and female alike! Be aware, cherish your support and enjoy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Hi Stevie :D

Great outfit :!:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Very jealous of your work outfit. Do they have any jobs going!!!?
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

greenboots wrote:

Gusto, when I see tunic/shift/knit dress worn with tights and boots I see male attire. And women who wear these outfits rarely look or act feminine, so it’s hard to see how I’d be losing my manliness. I tried pointing out that warps, pleats and above the knee are all elements of modern feminine garb, so a kilt is not manly attire - no go. Ho hum.
(That should read “wraps”) incidentally, I suggested getting a plain black [0] kilt to wear. That got no comment, positive or negative.

[0] Predictive typing on my iPhone suggested skirt or dress at this point. Quite finch an LBD; a nice cowl neck knit version in Next (I think)[/quote]

I have given this a bit of thought. During the mediations I went through with my ex, one of the mediators indicated that these remarks might not come from the point if view as acceptance on rational basis, but that you might come on the territory of your other half. Just a question, are there any other aspects in your life at home where you have taken other household chores which used to be done by your other half. If so, than she might consider you as competition instead as partner.

When you are talking of a tunic, tights and boots, add a bow and arrows and you will see an archer :-)
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

STEVIE wrote:That's my first dress as a "guy"! Still, a work outfit. The black shoes were a deliberate contrast. Work wise, I have better, outdoor last Autumn and more conservative.
Guys, your managers' opinions to their own men do not matter. The professional relationship is what counts, most times! There will always be some adverse attitudes from male and female alike! Be aware, cherish your support and enjoy.
Looks great :wink: :king:
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Guys,
Please get this, I have some experience!
Once upon a time, I coined a word, "MUSION". I borrowed the concept from the trend of Fusion Cuisine.
Male/Female fashions have no basis in reality.
I have learned to ignore the boundaries and "mix" as I see fit.
Have I missed a point?
Steve.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Gusto10 wrote:
I have given this a bit of thought. During the mediations I went through with my ex, one of the mediators indicated that these remarks might not come from the point if view as acceptance on rational basis, but that you might come on the territory of your other half. Just a question, are there any other aspects in your life at home where you have taken other household chores which used to be done by your other half. If so, than she might consider you as competition instead as partner.

When you are talking of a tunic, tights and boots, add a bow and arrows and you will see an archer :-)
I see Prince Charming from Shrek :king: :-)

I’m not aware of taking over chores. She tends to do most of the housework though I’ll do the dishes from time to time. Also I assist with technical stuff like PowerPoint, music and other computer related tasks. Difficult to know where the comments come from.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

OK, I'm lost.
I showed 2 examples of my "personal" work choices. The second is a complete mishmash from both sides of the "aisle".
I just do not recognise the boundary and browse accordingly.
Next, I pay no heed to my Manager's personal attitude, I am only concerned with the professional relationship.
Workwise, example 2 is fairly typical. I have colleagues who have never seen me in trousers.
There have been odd occasions. Weekend shopping, me in jog bottoms. That has caused a "double take" or two.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote:Workwise, example 2 is fairly typical.
I find "example 2" a superb combination. Yes, it's a bit of a mash-up -- but it all pulls together into a very pleasant overall statement, and that's where the genius is.

I almost always have items on from "both sides of the aisle" -- and do that quite deliberately; it keeps the onlooker on his toes. If I dressed all-up in male drab I'd be indistinguishable from every other male in drab save for my height; if I dressed exclusively from the distaff side I'd be perilously close to orthodox cross-dressing save for my facial hair. It's a balance that needs to be skilfully navigated, and the course to be made good depends on local conditions.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

There is one advantage to the cross aisle scenario.
It rather more than doubles the choice and potential combinations.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Steve, like you I wear from both sides of the aisle with a preference for the other side. Unlike others on this site I don't want to wear a skirt all the time but try, within the bounds of keeping MOH happy, and incorporate them into my general wear. I have borrowed a lot from the example of women - colour co-ordination, layering items, camisoles ( spaghetti strapped tops ) and vests under shirt or T-shirt and even how to move and control items. I still wear jeans and trousers which are about half and half men's/women's and even enjoy wearing them when not too tight. I feel comfortable in what I wear and now buy very few clothes and as I am not a slave of fashion ,y clothes last me a long time. I have had some basic clothes for 20 years or more and because they aren't fashion items they date very well. It's the overall look that I go for and I hope I do well at that. You look very natural and casual in your rigs. Well done.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Thanks Sinned,
I know all about keeping "Family" happy.
Coordination, in work is easy. Keep the style and colour close, contrast and never jar.
I like image 2, I'm comfortable!
Image 1 on the other hand was a deliberate experiment. In my mind it failed.
Steve.