What Is the Lure of Skirts?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What Is the Lure of Skirts?

Post by r.m.anderson »

This Lure you are making reference to - is it similar to a Sirens call luring one to a macabre dance of wearing unbifurcated garments ?
Or is it just some silly if it feels good to wear - just do it ?
I thought a lure was something that was used in fishing (not internet phishing) - not the state of being furcated - neither un or bi !

Well off on another wild excursion rescuing skirts from windmills - Don Quixote rides again damn that's some impossible dream !

Really I don't quite know what lured me into this ! This forum made me do this - - -
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedbrit »

Nothing to do with sex or sexuality, comfort and practicality 90 per cent, up yours to the world 10 per cent.
Never interested in style or fashion but have had a slight awakening.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Daryl wrote: Clothing is a huge part of that and no single item is more different from the male experience than the skirt. That was the lure.
Well, considering how boring male garb is, one pipe is a genuine novelty-something truly different for a change.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

I like wearing skirts for these reasons,
1) comfort,
2) rebellion,
3) sick and tired of boring unimaginative male clothing (today a pair of harem pants ( I will duck for cover ) arrived.).
johnb
Member Extraordinaire

Post by johnb »

When I tried a simple wrap around skirt, as quick cover up when going nude rambling, I realized how comfortable they are to wear. From there came the thought that why shouldn't men be able to choose between trouser and skirts in the same way that women do.

John
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I quite like this:
moonshadow wrote:"Of course, great men will never conform with the standards of little men, and he whose mission it is to overturn the world can hardly escape the title of revolutionary."
However, sometimes I wonder if I'm revolutionary or simply revolting. :roll: I can't say that I'm out to overturn the world (not having much of a clue with what to replace it with), but I have changed the world around me and made some lives richer by my presence. I'll take that, even if it is mostly by accident.

Keep your eyes peeled: you might be doing the same thing!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

john62 wrote:I like wearing skirts for these reasons,
1) comfort,
2) rebellion,
3) sick and tired of boring unimaginative male clothing (today a pair of harem pants ( I will duck for cover ) arrived.).
4) The lure of the forbidden. :!:
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Grok wrote:
john62 wrote:I like wearing skirts for these reasons,
1) comfort,
2) rebellion,
4) The lure of the forbidden. :!:
For me probably 1, 3, 2, 4 with a bit of curiosity as a driver
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

I'm a kilt, trouser and skirt wearer, in that order of choice. A kilt or skirt for me is an experience every time I put one on. They always raise my sense of well being in that I'm a lot happier without my legs being constantly molly coddled in material. I think it might also have something to do with pushing the bounds of social expectancy. As a jazz musician I tend to be unconventional in my lifestyle. Trousers are very handy as well though for the right situations, so I don't condemn them entirely.
Pete
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I had groin surgery nine years ago, followed by a long and painful recovery. Pants hurt, so I bought a tennis skirt to wear around the house and occasionally outside to get the mail. I enjoyed the comfort of not having a crotch seam, and the unlimited stride and ventilation. I am a nature and wildlife photographer and am out in the wilderness at least once a week. I am also in gas stations, restaurants, ranger stations, convenience stores, etc. I bought a camouflage pattern skirt and had it shortened to above the knees. I had a lady at a dry cleaners measure and shorten the skirt. I began wearing skirts when out and about and found out how comfortable skirts are for driving. Pants feel tight while skirts are not and I can pull them up to take advantage of the air conditioner. I have denim, camouflage, khaki, and gray skirts. I am in public, on trails, and in stores, and no one has ever noticed or commented on what I was wearing. I am careful getting in and out of a vehicle or sitting in a restaurant or other public place. I watch who might be around when I get in or out of a vehicle and use the door for cover from the side or front. I usually carry a tee shirt inside of a restaurant and cover my lap similar to using a napkin so I avoid flashing anyone. My wife and I enjoy going places where we both wear skirts. Mine resemble shorts as much as possible. I have bought skorts and removed the inner shorts which works well and requires care not to cut the skirt.

So, what drew me to start wearing skirts? It was discovering how comfortable they are and enjoying the freedom.
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

Post by Wonderful Electric »

It makes me feel happy and pretty. It gives me a way to express my feminine sensibilities. I shave my body hair for the same reasons. The other qualities of skirts are a bonus, such as the comfort.

The difficult part is balancing personal happiness and personal safety. This is still something I am figuring out.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Wonderful Electric wrote:It makes me feel happy and pretty. It gives me a way to express my feminine sensibilities. I shave my body hair for the same reasons. The other qualities of skirts are a bonus, such as the comfort.
I saw an interesting commercial for a womens razor the other day. All such commercials mention how desireable the smoothest possible shave is, but this one actually said that being smooth is more comfortable -- not just sexier or prettier but more comfortable. "Duh, they finally get it" I thought.

Lately I've been thinking that these aren't feminine sensibilities at all, but merely human ones that we males have been barred from indulging. I don't consider myself to be expressing anything, but rather just being as I want to be.
Daryl...
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Comfort, variety, freedom for me. Variety of different styles and colors. I liked kilts but too expensive, where skirts are more plentiful. Pencil cut the nicest.

Sory if there are any errors im ny typing, I have edit disabled on my account by the mods :roll:
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

kilty wrote:Sory if there are any errors im ny typing, I have edit disabled on my account by the mods
You can use the preview function, or just correct as you go. Gone are the days of typewriter correction tape! :wink:

...just a thought.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

It is now thirty years since I had to have a thesis typed up in 1987. I first employed a very willing lady who was using a typewriter, standard equipment in those days. She sped through pages & pages using a fancy corrector tape to erase errors and retype, but her real progress was painfully slow and I began despairing of meeting my October deadline, set by the Powers that Be, who required readable perfection in the submitted text.

A colleague then put me on to a lassie who advertised her typing services using a new-fangled P.C. I was immediately hooked and enthralled to see just how this machine effectively threw all typewriters into the bin. Amazing progress was made and she rattled through all of it with no proof-readable mistakes and I met my deadline. I remember collecting it all from her in Staines, Middlesex on the night of the 'Big Wind' in October 1987, when Sevenoaks in Kent lost all seven and hundreds of specimen trees were blown down in Kew Gardens. Railways and roads were blocked by fallen trees all over the SE of England and we couldn't leave my mother-in-law's house in Great Bookham, Surrey as her drive had several trees down across it.

I had slept through that great storm like a baby.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !