More on tights -- sizing

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

More on tights -- sizing

Post by Ralph »

I mentioned previously how much I like the Berkshire brand of ribbed tights. I think the style is called "Easy On". I got size "3x-4x" which says it can fit height 5'4" to 6'0", 210-260lbs. I really do like how well they fit and keep my legs warm (and none of my sasquatch hair showing through).

I saw an ebay listing for cable-knit tights, also Berkshire, so armed with the knowledge that 3x is a good fit I ordered several pair. Come to find out that Berkshire doesn't even use consistent sizing within their own products. I didn't bother looking closely at the size chart because I already knew that 3x-4x fits me very well, but I should have. Their "Trend" label says that 3x-4x is for 5'6" to 5'9", 185-240 lbs. In fact, they have five or six different size charts for different types of hosiery with no two 3x sizes fitting the same body!

I'm 5'9" and 235. They pulled on OK, but the waistband was too tight around my ample belly and the seat tore as I was trying to arrange everything comfortably. That lesson cost me nearly 30 bucks, unless I can resell them on ebay and at least pick up some of what I lost.

Here comes an angry letter to Berkshire...
Ralph!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: More on tights -- sizing

Post by moonshadow »

I've come to find tights, and leggings sizing is tricky. I think women have longer legs and shorter torso's than men do, and vice versa. So with that in mind, I tend to lean towards the weight measurement as virtually every pair of tights and leggings I've owned has room to spare on the length of the leg... or maybe I've just got shorter legs than most. Which is nice because that means I can leave a little room for the groin area and don't have to pull the tights so.... well tight around my goods.

For example, I'm 5'11 and 185lbs. The last pair of pantyhose I purchased were "Queen"[0] sized and I believe were rated for women up to six feet and 180-220 lbs or so (I don't remember the exact amount) but I found the fit very well and were super comfortable! You don't want tights that are too tight after all... comfort reasons aside, they are more opt to rip when you move about.

[0] Interesting the use of the sizing guide "QUEEN" in this context. I wondered if the manufacturer came up with this figuring one of two type of people would wear such a large size... actual large women who might consider themselves "queens"... or our all time favorite.. the Drag Queen.... who naturally would have more weight and a slightly different leg shape.

At any rate... "QUEEN" fit me like a hand in a glove... er uh... should I say a leg in a tight....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

moonshadow wrote:...For example, I'm 5'11 and 185lbs. The last pair of pantyhose I purchased were "Queen"[0] sized and I believe were rated for women up to six feet and 180-220 lbs or so (I don't remember the exact amount) but I found the fit very well and were super comfortable! You don't want tights that are too tight after all... comfort reasons aside, they are more opt to rip when you move about.
I'm close to the same size and Queen are too large for me; they slide down too easily, they tend to get baggy behind the knee, and the control top doesn't do much controlling. So if the tights come in sizes 1, 2, and 3, my size if the 3.

I don't have a problem with tights ripping when I move, but perhaps that's because I buy opaque tights that are thicker than sheer pantyhose. When mine rip it's usually when I'm putting them on, often because they caught on a toenail.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I have never had this problem. Tights come with nice clear information on the packaging, in most shops here. For example, http://www.marksandspencer.com/c/size-g ... IE-HOSIERY. Large size fits me in all the makes I have tried.

Ralph, I reckon your mistake was to buy a size for which you are at the high end of the size range in both height and girth. Tights stretch in both directions, but they can only stretch so far in total, and the more they stretch one way, the less they can stretch the other way. That M&S chart shows that: each size fits a thinner and taller person or a shorter and fatter person. Berkshire should have been a bit more precise; that would have helped.

Moonshadow, you are dead right about the important space in your tights! I have tried buying one size smaller so that they would not come right up to the crotch. Sometimes it has worked well, other times I have done what Ralph did - I was both tall and wide for the tights - and they didn't stay up very well.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I agree with Moon, girls have a longer inside leg-to-torso ratio. Anatomically a girl who is 6'1" would easily have a 36-37" inside leg measurement. At 6' oneanabit & 190lbs, my inside leg is 33". 34" for jeans (which I hate). I have a male friend my height who has a great long back & 'low slung' bottom, with an inside leg of just 29", so he looks a giant when sitting down !

My tights are all thick, 40 denier and more, all Xl, which can cope with my leg measurement OK. Again I agree with Coultron, that the toenails are usually the guilty party when ladders appear....so, like the irate film director.....'Cut, cut. cut!'

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Kirbstone wrote:I agree with Moon, girls have a longer inside leg-to-torso ratio.
Absolutely true.
Kirbstone wrote:...Again I agree with Coultron, that the toenails are usually the guilty party when ladders appear....so, like the irate film director.....'Cut, cut. cut!'
LOL, but so true.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Ralph wrote:I mentioned previously how much I like the Berkshire brand of ribbed tights. I think the style is called "Easy On". I got size "3x-4x" which says it can fit height 5'4" to 6'0", 210-260lbs. I really do like how well they fit and keep my legs warm (and none of my sasquatch hair showing through).

I saw an ebay listing for cable-knit tights, also Berkshire, so armed with the knowledge that 3x is a good fit I ordered several pair. Come to find out that Berkshire doesn't even use consistent sizing within their own products. I didn't bother looking closely at the size chart because I already knew that 3x-4x fits me very well, but I should have. Their "Trend" label says that 3x-4x is for 5'6" to 5'9", 185-240 lbs. In fact, they have five or six different size charts for different types of hosiery with no two 3x sizes fitting the same body!

I'm 5'9" and 235. They pulled on OK, but the waistband was too tight around my ample belly and the seat tore as I was trying to arrange everything comfortably. That lesson cost me nearly 30 bucks, unless I can resell them on ebay and at least pick up some of what I lost.

Here comes an angry letter to Berkshire...
The sizing of different brands is a nightmare. The XXL of one brand might come up to your shoulders, with another brand just above your knees. One of the few brads which does cater also larger sizes is cette. At times Wolford and Falke will carry XXL, but mostly in 20 dernier.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

Kirbstone wrote: Again I agree with Coultron, that the toenails are usually the guilty party when ladders appear....so, like the irate film director.....'Cut, cut. cut!'
Tom
A one word alternative: Pedicure :shock:
I gave up cutting my own nails over ten years ago and now just get them done professionally. One of the best things is I haven't had an ingrown toenail since.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Kilted Musician
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted Musician »

I'm 5'7" and 155-160 and can usually get by using the sizing charts with no problems for sheer hose and tights. Sometimes I'll end up with a pair that might be a little shorter but feels good in the waist. That's when I'll wear a leotard, to hold the legwear up. Once, I bought a pair of Calvin Klein tights that fit and looked great. After a few wearings, they ripped in the crotch... :( But that hasn't happened much.

--Rick
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Just to clarify, I did go by the sizing guide on the package -- the first time. But buying online (especially from an individual vs. a full-time retailer), the vendor doesn't always include a picture of the package with the sizing guide, and since I was buying the same brand I just naturally assumed (stupid Ralph!) that the same manufacturer would use the same sizes for two different style tights within the same brand.

Ah well, live and learn.

For what it's worth, I do really like the rib knit tights from Berkshire ("easy on" is, for a change, not a misnomer). I just need to be careful about the size choices if I get other styles from them.
Ralph!
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

Ralph wrote:Just to clarify, I did go by the sizing guide on the package -- the first time. But buying online (especially from an individual vs. a full-time retailer), the vendor doesn't always include a picture of the package with the sizing guide, and since I was buying the same brand I just naturally assumed (stupid Ralph!) that the same manufacturer would use the same sizes for two different style tights within the same brand.

Ah well, live and learn.
I have come across this on several women's lines that each item in a manufacturer will have different sizes. I bought a black skirt online and liked the way it fit and ordered another one but in Navy. it was way too small to fit had to return it and that's a pain. I wouldn't if the skirt wasn't so expensive.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

phathack wrote: I have come across this on several women's lines that each item in a manufacturer will have different sizes. I bought a black skirt online and liked the way it fit and ordered another one but in Navy. it was way too small to fit had to return it and that's a pain. I wouldn't if the skirt wasn't so expensive.
Even weirder: I got a tracksuit at Walmart a few years ago that I like to go out jogging in, but it's starting to get a bit raggedy (not to mention covered with caulk and paint when I wear it to do house maintenance!) As it turns out, Walmart doesn't carry that exact brand/style any more. I finally found *the* exact same brand, style, and size that I currently have on Amazon, so I ordered a new set... only to find out that this one comes from a Chinese manufacturer (don't even get me started) and their size Large is about two inches smaller around the waist than the one from Walmart. I suspect it's just a knockoff clone, not from the original manufacturer.

I'm a bit smarter about Chinese clothing sizes now. Every! Single! Time! stuff I get from them fits nicely around the chest and arms and hips, but it's impossibly small at the waist. So I make a point of filtering my Amazon and ebay searches to only items originating in North America.

Unfortunately the Chinese vendors know that trick, too, so they've set up local agents who advertise items originating in North America... but when you order, it takes a few weeks to go from China to their US agent, who repackages it and sends it on with a US postmark. And a waist size that's ALWAYS too damn small.

I realize the healthier solution to all of this would be to lose several inches around my waist. Hey, I'm working on it.
Ralph!
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

At 6 foot 2 inches, and currently 196 pounds (down from 243 on May 1st), I go with large size as I concern myself more with height than weight. I'd say that sizing when it comes to tights can be all over the board from brand to brand, that said, so it can be a bit of a crapshoot when it comes to purchases.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

I'm 5' 11" and in February 2009 I weighted 325 pounds.
Me @ 325 lbs 15-Feb-2009_sm.jpg
After being diagnosed with two heart conditions, I dieted that down 150 pounds for a target weight of 175. My waist size dropped form 54 to 36.

The magic formula: Low fat, low cholesterol, low carbs, low salt, low sugar, low calories, low everything, you name it. No bread, no rolls, no buns, no pasta, no corn, no rice, no pizza, no hamburgers, no French fries, no onion rings, no fried foods at all. Live on nothing but chicken, pork, fish, greet vegetables and fruit.

You gotta wanna do it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

caultron
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

JeffB1959 wrote:At 6 foot 2 inches, and currently 196 pounds (down from 243 on May 1st), I go with large size as I concern myself more with height than weight. I'd say that sizing when it comes to tights can be all over the board from brand to brand, that said, so it can be a bit of a crapshoot when it comes to purchases.
That's why I buy all my leggings online. If it's not the right size, I can send it back with no costs.

I live in the Netherlands Europe, and we have S, M, L, XL etc. but also ladies measurements. For me as a man I use size 46 at the hip. That I know for skirts and leggings over here.
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)