Wiki-how

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Wiki-how

Post by moonshadow »

So I just finished reading a wiki-how on how to deal with squatters, and at the bottom of the page is a link to another wiki-how instructing me on how to squat!

Only on the internet...

No I don't have a squatter issue. Actually what got my attention on this is I was looking at some land listings (I may be interested in buying some land later in life) and there is one parcel in Washington county... 68 acres with a few barns and an old house with people "illegally occupying the dwelling" according to the mls and I was wondering what's involved with removing squatters.... A very interesting bit of law if I so do say so.

I've also been exploring trespassing law lately. As it turns out I have discovered a fair number of properties that are not posted.... Under my understanding of Virginia law... if no signs are posted I am free to explore the premesis until I am asked to leave....

Very interesting...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wiki-how

Post by moonshadow »

Now that I think about it, if I had stayed in Pulaski for 4 more years I might have been able to gain another lot of property. I was maintaining the lot for my entire 11 years there... keeping it mowed and even had a fence there at one time but I removed it.

I even discovered the owner if the property...and made an offer to buy it once but I heard nothing back. It was tied up in an estate.

After 4 more years I could have filed for "adverse property" and possibly gained title to the lot....

Damn....

I was a squatter and didn't even know it... it was just trying to keep the weeds down..
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote:After 4 more years I could have filed for "adverse property" and possibly gained title to the lot.... Damn.... I was a squatter and didn't even know it... it was just trying to keep the weeds down..
Well you know the old adage "Live and learn" :lol:
In SC it don't work that way. I found out the hard way when a piece of property next to me was sold and then fenced in, I had been parking my old camper there for years, keeping the weeds mowed down and using part of it for a driveway as well.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Indeed.

Suddenly the use of "No Trespassing" signs makes more sense. It's not just something people do to be an ass, but in some states even the act of someone cutting through your yard, if done long enough, and the owner of the property doesn't complain, but suddenly does the trespasser might actually be able to file to have the path turn into a sort of easement or right of way....

California is interesting. If you stay somewhere longer than 30 days, that gives you tenants rights, which in California, apparently the law favors tenants heavily.

Another interesting aspect, my former neighbor how allowed the homeless man to set up his camper in the back yard and live in it. Well, under law, depending on exactly how my neighbors lease was written with his landlady, the camper man might also have tenant protections. Further, if he stays on the lot for 15 years and the property owner knows, yet does nothing to stop it, the camper man can actually file for title of the property!... and get it!

I have a coworker friend in Tennessee who recently had a survey completed and found that his neighbors fence is on his side by up to 15 feet in some areas. I'm not sure Tennessee's laws on this, but he was inclined to just let it be, whereas after this bit of research I feel compelled to call him and advise him to think twice. Even if he wants to let it be, if he would just draw up a lease contract for say $10 per year, it seems that should protect him from any Tennessee squatter protection laws...

Of course I have not received a full medical history.... :lol:
-Andrea
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

moonshadow wrote:California is interesting. If you stay somewhere longer than 30 days, that gives you tenants rights, which in California, apparently the law favors tenants heavily.
There was a movie about that two or three decades ago. I can't remember the name (something about Pacific Heights which is a neighborhood near where I live). Like many movies set in places you know, it was irritating because some transitions from one scene to another are not physically possible.
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

I had a house in Johannesburg that I lived in for many years i put the house on the market for sale but no buyers at the time so i rented the house, the tenant paid a full years rent up front. But I kept the house on the market. About 4 months before the lease expired i got a buyer with the buyer fully aware of the tenants lease. I gave the tenants 3 months notice to vacate as the lease would not be renewed. The tenants were fully aware that the house was still up for sale. The sale sale went through no problems. Come the time for the tenants to move out they refused to vacate the house and claimed scatters rights. Under South African law you cannot just remove someone from a home without a court order, even when you get the court order, which could take up to 9 months you have to take them to see other properties at lease 4 times before you can forcible remove them. In the mean time you as the owner are still liable for the rates, taxes and utility accounts.