Skirt wearing in The Netherlands

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
DonaldG
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirt wearing in The Netherlands

Post by DonaldG »

She explained that she wanted to expand his views. Apparently he had criticised her short hair, saying that short hair was only for boys. She had tried to get across to him that how you dress, wear your hair etc. has nothing to do with gender or sexual orientation. When she saw me she saw an opportunity to show her grandson evidence of her views. I was happy to assist!

Overall my impression of how the Dutch regarded my skirt wearing, if they noticed at all, was “Why would anyone, especially a man, want to wear a skirt when there are trousers?” Very few women seemed to be wearing skirts, certainly less than in the UK.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I remember finding out first hand the difference between the Dutch and the Belgians in terms of their culture. I was playing in a hockey tournament in 1998 in Eindhoven, and one night I wore my kilt. We were in a big beer tent, and I was with four young New Zealand lads who were on our team. I took them around the tent, wearing my kilt, and I said to them "watch this – the kilt will get people talking". 22 people (yes, I counted - I bet 20) stopped me and commented positively on the kilt, all positive. The boys were desperate to get kilts themselves after that! The day after, we went to Bruges in Belgium. Again, I wore my kilt. The boys followed me, 5 yards back, in line like a scene from Reservoir Dogs, and they laughed at the shocked reactions of the Belgians to my wearing a kilt and a (Scotland) rugby shirt. That, to me, was the difference between the Netherlands (not Holland; Brabant) and Belgium.
DonaldG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DonaldG »

Here is the outfit I was wearing when photographed as previously posted - denim skirt, black faux-leather jacket.
Stedelijk museum2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DonaldG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DonaldG »

Some more photos from my Netherlands trip. I'm wearing a knee-length black leather skirt in all these.
ferry.jpg
Leeuwarden2.jpg
Leeuwarden4.jpg
Leeuwarden5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

DonaldG wrote:Some more photos from my Netherlands trip. I'm wearing a knee-length black leather skirt in all these.
Great look, and very natural!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
DonaldG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by DonaldG »

Caultron wrote:
DonaldG wrote:Some more photos from my Netherlands trip. I'm wearing a knee-length black leather skirt in all these.
Great look, and very natural!
Thanks Caultron.
Eevee

Post by Eevee »

Cool, should be no problem at all there! It's great she wanted to show her grandson it's okay.
I lot of things are accepted there. I haven't worn a skirt there much but I know people are really accepting.
I've also read a lot of stories online of people who wear one piece swimsuits in pools there and I've done that really often there. I've never felt any different and completely accepted when I went to pools. (unfortunately my courage to wear skirts didn't came until I moved away from there).