First steps in tights

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

First steps in tights

Post by beachlion »

Recently I ordered some tights. It is a first for me and I don't know if this is the way to go. I'm trying to extend the skirt wearing season and I have to decide if I go with kilts and long socks or skirts and tights.
One of the tights is with a fleece lining so I can use it on the bike in cold weather. Two others are more in the line of pantyhoses.
P1010538q.jpg
For sure it is something I have to get used to, maybe more than just wearing skirts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: First steps in tights

Post by skirtyscot »

Wearing tights is another mental leap. I started a while ago and I did get some "Now he's wearing TIGHTS as well" reactions. But once people get used to the idea, they don't mind. I suspect that to anyone who hasn't ever seen you in a skirt, seeing you in tights as well will be no more of a surprise than it would have been to see you in a skirt and bare legs.

We've had such terrible weather this year that the tights season started a lot earlier than usual. I don't mind at all, I like them and I find them comfortable. And some skirts, smarter ones generally, look wrong with bare legs - you need the tights to go with them. So tights let you have a wider choice of skirts, and they extend the short skirt season. What's not to like?

That's a good look in that pic. I think you should go for it!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

beachlion wrote:Recently I ordered some tights. It is a first for me and I don't know if this is the way to go. I'm trying to extend the skirt wearing season and I have to decide if I go with kilts and long socks or skirts and tights.
One of the tights is with a fleece lining so I can use it on the bike in cold weather. Two others are more in the line of pantyhoses.
For sure it is something I have to get used to, maybe more than just wearing skirts.
They look fine in the photo with a skirt and (I'm guessing) 2" heels.

I've found there's zero difference in reaction to wearing a skirt and wearing a skirt and tights. And lots of guys find they like the silky compression feel of tights against their legs.

So give it a go and enjoy!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Caultron wrote: And lots of guys find they like the silky compression feel of tights against their legs.

One here!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I was very nervous about wearing tights. Until about 2 weeks ago when I took a trip into NYC wearing tights. The thinner tights are really more like pantyhose. I spent the entire day in them. I was nervous when I started out but I was completely relaxed by the end of the day. The only real problem was when I had to use the bathroom . Usually going in a skirt was easier that in pants . But the tights required a little more adjustment after use so I had to wait for a stall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Keep at it, OS1, and soon enough you'll be able to use the urinal, no bother at all!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

beachlion wrote:Recently I ordered some tights. It is a first for me and I don't know if this is the way to go. I'm trying to extend the skirt wearing season and I have to decide if I go with kilts and long socks or skirts and tights.
P1010538q.jpg
The skirt, tights and shoes match perfectly. I love that look and hope to emulate it one day!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

I have, at or about 38 N 85 W, been able to go skirted year-round the last couple of years. I may have had my normal support hose on under a pair of fleece-lined tights and possibly a pair of fleece-lined leggings but I was out and about. :D I operate under the assumption that if the ladies are wearing skirts, so can I. :P

Usually, just one of the fleece-lined items are enough. But...last year I went out a couple of times in my mini (14" drop) and shoveled the driveway and walkway before coming back into the (relative) warmth.

If you're having 2nd and 3rd thoughts, etc. you might ask you doctor if it would be a good idea. I started wearing support hose in 2007 when my new job had me on my feet for 12-16 hours and I was feeling the strain. I had a number of friends in nursing who whole-heartedly recommended support hose. Since then I've had one podiatrist and two general practitioners agree that wearing support hose was a good idea. I lost about 60 pounds since then and am working on losing about 50-60 more in a mild effort to fit into my boot-camp dress blues.

For that matter, during my formative years I became used to young ladies in skirts and tights and liked the look. So why not wear them myself? :)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

No problem with tights although mainly black. The weather is just on the turn so just started wearing them this year.

BTW the plural of pantyhose is pantyhose - it's its own plural, like the word sheep.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Sinned wrote:...... BTW the plural of pantyhose is pantyhose - it's its own plural, like the word sheep.
And I was thinking Dutch was a strange language. :wink:
Thanks anyway.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

The main reason for me to wear skirts is the general feeling of freedom below deck. Tights are taking that feeling partly away. I think I need some time to get used to it and decide than if it is staying or going. Or I have to balance out the feeling of being warm against the feeling of being slightly resticted.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

beachlion wrote:The main reason for me to wear skirts is the general feeling of freedom below deck. Tights are taking that feeling partly away. I think I need some time to get used to it and decide than if it is staying or going. Or I have to balance out the feeling of being warm against the feeling of being slightly resticted.
You could give thigh high stockings a try. They will add warmth and not be a bother when going to the outhouse. I will wear them in cold weather and sometimes will add a pair of knee high compression stocking under them. That give me the support as well as added warmth.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Thanks Fred. I wear thigh highs a lot and don't have any problem with them mainly beige or black. Some seem to have a problem with them staying up but mine stay up fine.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

The only time my legs are bare is when I am shaving them... I've been wearing legwear openly for about 30 years. Good for leg health, and looks great too!
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Tights or pantyhose are both agreable in my opinion. Not only the extra warmth when needed, but also good as support during long drives or flights. They are even recommended under these circumstances. They make putting on boots easier. Also, as I read in medical info, the slight rubbing would cause a nutriant to be losend by your skin and thus decrease the risk of prostrate cancer... I read it a number of years ago when I wanted to understand more of cancer and the reactions to the medication so I would have to go hugh piles to get the exact details.