Another useful Sainsbury's skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Another useful Sainsbury's skirt

Post by mugman »

I purchased this one from Sainsbury's some months ago. I'm afraid I do like neutral colours - even my car is black. The skirt is mostly polyester with a hint of viscose, and Elastane makes it ultra stretchy. The length is as short as I'd want to go with skirts though I do have a slightly more abbreviated denim, but need courage to wear it publicly. I don't think short marries terribly well with senior citizenship! Anyway, this skirt is very warm for these more chilly times of year...almost felt-like. There are no pockets to it, which is a shame but they would probably sag anyway if used. Normally I'd go for ankle socks, but sometimes knee length feels more substantial.

Pete
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Another useful Sainsbury's skirt

Post by trainspotter48 »

Very passable look there, Pete.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Looks good!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Very Good Pete..
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Hey Pete, good looking skirt but I'm 63 and I wear them shorter than that - out of the house as well. :D Age has nowt to do with it.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

I tend to follow the reasoning that seeing a 70 year old woman in a short skirt could be verging on tarty. I guess it all depends on looks and being able to carry it off. I regret I couldn't anyway with my figure! But I envy your panache.

Pete
tesjolts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by tesjolts »

I like your outfit!! something I would like to try myself. You're right about the pockets, something I always look for on a skirt, on stretchy skirts is seems they're more difficult to find.

Tes
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

It's all about self-image and confidence. Look at SD - he wears shorter than I would ever conceive of doing and other garments too but he seems to have fun doing it and he looks good too.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

mugman wrote:I tend to follow the reasoning that seeing a 70 year old woman in a short skirt could be verging on tarty.
I might have said that once, but my wife (who will be 70 in six months) still looks terrific in a short skirt, thanks to yoga, Pilâtes, gym sessions etc. I'm not going to discourage her yet awhile ;)
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Pete, looks and sounds a lot like one I found in Sainsbury's, though mine is viscose with a hint of polyester and some elastane. It's quite thick and felt-like too. But it's orange.

I was wearing it yesterday morning when Mrs SS and I were tidying up ready for the in-laws coming for lunch. She said it was too short when I bent over, and asked me to put a longer skirt on. :D Things are looking up (even if the in-laws aren't looking up my skirt)!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

geron wrote: my wife (who will be 70 in six months) still looks terrific in a short skirt, thanks to yoga, Pilâtes, gym sessions etc
Lucky man. I always seem to dwell on the negative, and must work on that.

I do agree that confidence does play the main part in skirting. Unfortunately for me, the higher the hemline, the lower the confidence.
skirtyscot wrote:looks and sounds a lot like one I found in Sainsbury's,

Sainsbury's sometimes have some reasonable items and I always keep my eyes open for anything I might feel right in. If yours has two joins down the front then it sounds like the same as mine.

Pete
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

It does indeed have two seams on the front, about half way from the centre to the side. I think we have found the same skirt, though mine was reduced by 70% to about £4 on account of the nice bright colour. :D
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

My next acquisition from the same source, and a bit more jazzy. The first photo is with an unaltered jacket, the second is with one altered by removing 130mm. I think it makes a more likely image. This is a patterned skirt I would probably feel more at ease with in public as the pattern is more folkish than fancy, and easy going. It would possibly look better with a tan jacket, but I don't yet have one.

Pete
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

The altered jacket fits the outfit much better. You cut the jacket because it was a little too stark for the skirt. Have you considered softening the foot ware. Even CR has tried shoes from the other side. . This is just my opinion but wearing a skirt and clunky mens socks and shoes would be like wearing Ballerina slippers with pants.
mugman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mugman »

Shoes from the other side are of no interest to me. I have one wider foot due to a misaligned big toe joint, which sticks out. In the shoe department I go for comfort rather than looks.
This is actually an interesting argument to skirting and kilting. I wouldn't expect many would go for heels with a kilt, though with a kilt skirt they might, even though both have a pretty much similar look. It's all down to personal preference. My interests are basically in the skirt and kilt line, as a change from trousers, and not in female footwear or any other female item. I think something as highly noticeable as an over-long jacket over a kilt needs the same shorter length requirement for a knee length skirt, or it does look like I dressed in the dark. That's really the only thoughtfulness I would be making.

Pete