Dissertation research regarding men in skirts.

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.

Why do you wear skirts?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:15 pm

Because I think wearing a skirt is more practical and comfortable than trousers
68%
Because it I like the aesthetic and think it looks stylish and fashionable
17%
I wear a skirt because I like to feel feminine
7%
It is part of my cultural heritage (Religious)
No votes
It is part of my cultural heritage (the Kilt)
3%
It is part of my cultural heritage (other)
No votes
Artistic expression
3%
I belong in a subculture where wearing a skirt it more commonplace such as punk, goth etc.
No votes
other not listed
3%

Total votes: 71

Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Dissertation research regarding men in skirts.

Post by Grok »

Stu wrote:Holly. I like skirts occasionally as a change from trousers. That really says it all.

How would you like to think that, from infanthood to death the only item of clothing that is acceptable for you to wear is some kind of trousers.
And the trousers we are allowed to wear are particularly dull. In general, mens clothing is deadly dull.

That being said, the inclination is to wear:

1. Uniforms, in effect. Buy multiples of the same outfits, to minimize the bother of shopping (for boring clothes). Wear the same outfits to minimize effort.

2. Informality. Jeans and T-shirts. Sweat clothes....

The clothes, even the more formal monkey suits, are so dull that there is no incentive to go beyond being presentable. Not that there is much that you can do to go beyond being presentable.

Actually, there is the temptation to just let your appearance go.
Last edited by Grok on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
webboy42

Post by webboy42 »

As I do not yet wear skirts, I did not feel qualified to answer the poll question. However, if you want a perspective from a man actively considering the idea of wearing skirts, feel free to send me a private message. Good luck with your research.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

If you are a male who is thinking of trying a skirt for the first time, clothes suddenly become an interesting topic. For a male, the change is radical. !

Finally, something different. The novelty alone would be motive to try a skirt.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Holly, if there is one thing all the members have in common, it is an open minded attitude. There is a willingness to consider unorthodox clothing, instead of dismissing the idea out of hand.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

The first time I wore a skirt it was out of curiosity. I had been told by my mother that men could never wear skirts because they would be dreadfully uncomfortable on a man; I thought that if I made one myself, so that it fitted my shape, I might find it comfortable. It was actually so comfortable that I made another ...and another. One thing I was careful about was to always include generous pockets, because I did not want to add any accessories such as a handbag and, unlike women, men didn't have the underwear that could conveniently conceal a handkerchief. I made lightweight shorter skirts for Summer and longer, heavier, lined skirts for Winter and discovered how much cooler/warmer they could be than wearing the same old trousers all year round.

At first I only wore skirts in the comfort of my own home, but I then tried wearing a kilt to folk dances and found it was much better to dance in than trousers. It attracted a few comments - not all of them good - but I found I could live with that. Eventually I began wearing skirts to dances and found they were even better to dance in than a kilt; to my surprise, they also attracted far fewer adverse comments. At about that time I also began to realise that I was somewhere on the transgender spectrum, so subconsciously I may have been expressing some sort of hidden feminine desire (although I still danced and presented as man).

Skirts are now my everyday wear and, as well as making much of my wardrobe myself (skirts are easier to make than trousers), I have bought several skirts for dances and special occasions in charity shops. The lack of sensibly-sized pockets in commercially-made skirts is by far their worst feature and women who have borrowed my home-made skirts have always commented how nice it is to have pockets that are big enough to hold things properly.

As others have commented, it is a pity that your questionnaire did not allow multiple answers, because the many reasons for skirt wearing are not mutually-exclusive.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
melsav
Member Extraordinaire

Post by melsav »

I would have liked to be able to answer more than 1 question. No 1 and 2 are why I wear Kilts all the time. As has been said pants are boring everybody looks the same, dull.
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

Other: Not listed. I didn't fall into any of the buckets provided, as I don't think that a skirt is more practical than trousers, shorts maybe. I don't wear them for the aesthetic... I wear a skirt because I enjoy fashion freedom and exercise fashion equality. I wear what I feel is comfortable and practical for that days activities, sometimes a skirt isn't it, but sometimes it is. How about this... I wear a skirt because I can! :D
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Some people spontaneously enjoy skirts-which makes it difficult to articulate why you would like to wear one.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Well, I'm all about being stylish and fashionable. I don't mind admitting I look better in skirts, especially short skirts than I do in pants. In fact, I can flat out rock a miniskirt! 8)
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I also opted for number 1 but would also have liked to have chosen number 2 and the Artistic option. I wear skirts partly for comfort, partly because I have the physique and legs to carry them off and because I think I look good in them and they suit me. You can PM me if you want more information. MOH doesn't liking me to wear skirts outdoors and sometimes can be really accepting indoors and sometimes antagonistic. If you search for and read some of my posts then you'll get the general idea.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I answered #1 but #5 is valid as well.
I've Scot's-Irish ancestors which qualify for the #5 answer.
The Kilt was 1st but have added skirts to my wardrobe.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
hollymcc

Post by hollymcc »

Wonderful!

Thank you everyone for such a positive response! I shall be in touch in the next few days with some questions once I have done a little more research into it!

Holly
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

Thank you Holly for bringing the fact that men can and DO wear skirts. Keep up the good work.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Holly, just a thought. There have been recent attempts by the fashion industry in shows to promote the man skirt but 99 pc of the offerings were not acceptable except perhaps as pieces of art and not something you could walk down the street in. If you look around you'll see what I mean. I think that what we want in terms of design are skirts that we could wear as everyday pieces of clothing with extras such as decent sized belt loops, most definitely decent sized pockets that would comfortably hold at least car keys, mobile phone and wallet. Printed designs, yes possibly, length between mid calf and ankle which gives plenty of scope, material composition is left open as a wide range are worn here and above all practical. I don't know if this information fits in with your area of study but I just thought that I'd mention it, as one does.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

Please ask me any questions. I am a wildlife and nature photographer and am out in the mountain or desert wilderness at least once a week. I like to wear skirts because they allow unlimited stride, ventilation, freedom, and comfort. I also wear them in public places such as trails, gas stations, convenience stores, ranger stations, restaurants. I have worn them in supermarkets, shopping centers, and various stores. No one has noticed or said anything one way or another.