What do your children think ?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
eightofnine

What do your children think ?

Post by eightofnine »

Does anyone have children on here ,I was wondering what they think of their dad wearing a skirt? Does it bother them ? Or are they supportive? I can just imagine someones daughter posting on Facebook #girlproblems when your dad looks better in a skirt than you do
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What do your children think ?

Post by Fred in Skirts »

eightofnine wrote:Does anyone have children on here ,I was wondering what they think of their dad wearing a skirt? Does it bother them ? Or are they supportive? I can just imagine someones daughter posting on Facebook #girlproblems when your dad looks better in a skirt than you do
My youngest daughter is just fine with me wearing skirts and tops from the other side of the store, as well as nail polish on my toes. She currently lives just North of Denver Co. I just returned from there and was skirted the whole time. I did not even pack any pants or shorts. When I first told her I was worried she might not be too happy with the idea, her reaction "no problem".
My oldest daughter has not seen me in skirts but her husband has and no comments from him.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

eightofnine wrote:Does anyone have children on here ,I was wondering what they think of their dad wearing a skirt? Does it bother them ? Or are they supportive? I can just imagine someones daughter posting on Facebook #girlproblems when your dad looks better in a skirt than you do
I can't really say, as I have no children. but once in a while one does run into some grief when women give you grief for having better-looking legs than they do. Apparently they do not like this.

I received some playful stick from a woman bartender today about just that as I was wearing my green plaid short skirt. I decided to kick it right back and said, "You've not seen anything yet. Tomorrow is going to be hotter today and I have a new mini that I'll probably wear." (This is factual. Over an extended period of time and one return where not only was a skater-style skirt delivered in the wrong colour but also two sizes too small, which got returned to the chain and a new one ordered, and which arrived at least in the right size (XL) but again in the wrong colour (Hint, supplier, Tweetie-bird yellow is NOT teal green. Either your SKUs are screwed up or your packer is badly colour-blind.) I like the yellow so I kept it. I've been practising with it around the house and the landlady's partner has already commented, "That's short!" to which I said, "Yes, I'd like to master short before I'm too old to pull it off believably.)
Last edited by crfriend on Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed cartoon-character spelling
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Gordon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gordon »

My wife and I have raised 5 children, all of which are adults themselves now. I have 10 grandchildren as well. I have informed all of them that I wear skirts and all have basically told me that what ever makes me happy to my face. What they think or say behind my back I have no idea. But at least nothing hostile or negative has every been said to me or my wife.

I raised them to be accepting and that nobody is "normal". Normal only exist in text books.
-----------------------------
Namaste,
Gordon
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

My son lives with me he is 27 . This past April he treated me to a New York Mets Baseball game. I wore a kilt to the game. I few days before the game I found the kilt on my desk with this note attached
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I have 3 living children - 2 boys and a girl. They have all seen me wear a skirt. My eldest lives a couple of hours drive away and I think that he doesn't approve but has not said that to me. My daughter and other son have said to me that they aren't bothered. But my daughter has reservations about me wearing a skirt in the presence of my grandson in case it influences him, I presume. My other son in many ways doesn't seem worried with the exception of the case of two of his children, They previously lived with their mother a long distance away, from whom he is divorced but he has recently been granted permanent custody of them. They haven't been told of my skirt wearing as in the past if their mother knew she could have used it as a baseball bat in the custody battle over the years. That now seems to be over but I need to discuss with my son about telling them - how and when. As they live just a few minutes close by it's going to happen that one of them just pops around while I am skirted so they do need to know but then they also need to know that it is no business of their mother what I wear, when. Not a secret, just not something she needs to know. None of them have been out with me skirted and MOH tells me that there is some opposition but I don't know if that's just her opinion or them just saying what they think she wants to hear. MOH is opposed to my skirting out of the house even though she knows I do.

Sound complicated - too true.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

My daughter is 23 and is fine about it. I think she has told some of her friends and its no big deal really. My legs are the better than the wife and daughters BTW.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Amber is 18 and takes no issue with it. In fact, she seems to really enjoy doing things with me in public while wearing my various garments, the more feminine the better!

Anyone in her world that take issue with it, she will not befriend. Likewise, if you're cool with men in skirts and dresses, then you and her will get along fine.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
GothScot

Post by GothScot »

Not sure if godchildren count, but as I've said before, mine called me a f** and cut me out of his existence. :roll: Personally, I think he was more uncomfortable with how hot his godfather looked in a skirt, and wanted to follow suit, but that's his hang-up.

Mind you, his whole family took a swing to the Extreme Right. Still have a blood draining out of the face when I remember his mum's Twitter feed so they're out of my life. Written. Off.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

GothScot wrote:Not sure if godchildren count, but as I've said before, mine called me a f** and cut me out of his existence. :roll: Personally, I think he was more uncomfortable with how hot his godfather looked in a skirt, and wanted to follow suit, but that's his hang-up.

Mind you, his whole family took a swing to the Extreme Right. Still have a blood draining out of the face when I remember his mum's Twitter feed so they're out of my life. Written. Off.
No offense, but it sounds like that whole family has some serious issues. You're probably better off. I've cut a fair share of actual blood relatives from my life for different reasons.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

oldsalt1 wrote:My son lives with me he is 27 . This past April he treated me to a New York Mets Baseball game. I wore a kilt to the game. I few days before the game I found the kilt on my desk with this note attached
noce
GothScot

Post by GothScot »

Moonshadow,

You're not wrong. Don't want this to go political as I know there's a wide spectrum on here politically, fair enough, but

1. His mum's a big Trump/Pence fan.
2. His dad's Libyan.
3. His (the godson's) middle name is Mohammed.
4. He went to uni to be a pilot, annnnnnnnnnnnnd yes, no mistaking his heritage even if you didn't know his full name.

Show of hands, everybody who sees this ending well?
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Interesting combination. I agree about avoiding politics, however regardless of anyone's political affiliations, calling you a fag was a sign of their true character, and like I said above, you're probably better off.

I have a few in my family that are the same way, and I hardly ever see them.
-Andrea
GothScot

Post by GothScot »

Just wish in hindsight I would've bodyslammed him. He's like 80 pounds in winter clothes. Soaked.

How humiliating would that have been for his insecure little self? You just got your posterior handed to you by a guy in a ground-length broomstick skirt. Can you say "attitude adjustment," television neighbor? :D
Oneoff

Post by Oneoff »

I have my thirty year old son and his wife living with me, along with a friend of his that is renting a room. My son, his wife, the friend, and the friend's girlfriend who is around about half the time have supported my skirt wearing. Last year for Fathers day, my son and his wife took me to a nice dinner house while I was wearing clothing that would fit more in the freestyle section, and neither of them was trying to hide in the shadows.

I thanked my daughter in law one day in passing for making my wearing skirts easier than I anticipated. She looked at me and said "It's a whole new millennium" and wandered off on her way. The look and the tone were almost "Duh!" I am quite grateful for the new millennium and the accepting kids that populate that generation.