Hello from the Netherlands!

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Martin

Hello from the Netherlands!

Post by Martin »

Hello everybody!

I just registered after having read a few topics here and there. It would be nice to exchange thoughts and ideas with like-minded men. Since late last year I've been wearing skirts in public more and more, usually on a quiet Sunday evening. I started with a stroll through and around the nearby park but lately I've also been doing grocery shopping whilst wearing a skirt. I was pleasantly surprised that I did not get any negative reactions whatsoever.

Feeling hopeful to break barriers, feel free to contact me if you feel the need!

Best regards!

Martin
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hello from the Netherlands!

Post by skirtingtoday »

Welcome to the site! :)

Many like myself are quite comfortable in carrying out everyday activities as you whilst skirted. Do you have any problems with your partner or other family members?

Hope to hear more from you in future posts.

Ross
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Martin

Post by Martin »

Thanks for the welcome, Ross.

Currently I do not have a partner so that is not a concern. My family does not know about my skirt wearing, yet.

A mate of mine I have triggered and started the discussion that men should have the right to wear skirts in public. He sort of let me know to "do whatever you want if it makes you happy" but I have not worn a skirt at an occasion where he was, e.g. the pub.

Enjoy Easter,

Martin
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Martin wrote:Currently I do not have a partner so that is not a concern. My family does not know about my skirt wearing, yet.
First off -- Welcome aboard, Martin!

Taking the notion of "secrets are a bad thing" (or at least tend to be), and if you're going to be serious about adopting skirts into your regular wardrobe choices, I feel that it's important to be honest and forthcoming about the matter. No matter how hard you try to hide, you will be found out eventually -- and the amount of explaining you'll have to do then will be orders of magnitude worse than being up-front about it to begin with. This includes family (you don't mention how old you are, but if you're an adult your family can't really anything other that to shower you with contempt and ridicule) and any significant others going forward. (I have actually found that wearing skirts most of the time is a great way to let non-compatibles self-select out of any interaction with me thus saving me the grief of figuring that out for myself.
A mate of mine I have triggered and started the discussion that men should have the right to wear skirts in public. He sort of let me know to "do whatever you want if it makes you happy" but I have not worn a skirt at an occasion where he was, e.g. the pub.
What are you waiting for, then. Make good on the threat, stand up, and be counted.

I'm given to understand that The Netherlands are a fairly forward-looking place, so it really shouldn't be a problem, and besides, most everybody else has more important things to worry about than some random bloke in a skirt. Just make it look good!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Welkom op dit kleurrijke forum. Je bent niet de enige Nederlander hier.
Welcome to this colo(u)rfull forum. You are not the only Dutchie here.

Six years ago I moved to the USA and got married. The previous 66 years I lived in the Netherlands. Since 2013 I'm in skirts and kilts. I go out in skirts on hiking trips or biking along local trails but in my neighborhood, I stick to kilts for the time being.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:welcome:
Hi Martin,
Glad to have you aboard the Skirt Cafe express. Wearing skirts is as natural as having a cup of coffee for most of us. I wear skirts all of the time and everywhere I go. So you are in good company here. If you are worried about what your family or friends have to say about your skirts, ask then who buys your clothes them or you. You have as much right to wear what you want as eveyone else.
Keep us informed about your skirted adventures.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Greetings, Martin. :D
Sikko

Post by Sikko »

Hi Martin,

Welcome on board.

I'm from Rotterdam and wear denim mini skirts when it is warm weather.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Thanks for the support and the welcoming words everybody! I'll post some pics by the time I find out how to downsize them. Apparently my footage was to big to upload.

Have a great day!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Hi Martin, You need to download an image processing tool in order to resize the pics. There have been suggestions but I use irfanview as it's quite easy to use and more importantly it comes free of charge. For the size of photos I take I generally reduce the size to 25 per cent of the original,remembering to save the new photo with a different name otherwise you'll overwrite the original if you just save it. I have a thread in Pics and Looks to which I post any photos. Good luck and we look forward to seeing some pics of you.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Martin, There are any number of applications that you can use to resize images, and what you choose will necessarily reflect the ecosystem you live and work in. I inhabit a UNIX/Linux ecosystem, and I have had great success with The GIMP. It's almost as good as Photoshop but at an entirely agreeable price.

On size, I recommend using pixel-counts instead of any other measure when resizing. Pixel-counts are absolute values and are without confusion on various browsers. Typically, I use 800 pixels as the maximum dimension (either width for shots done in landscape format or height for ones done in portrait) and use JPEG format for the small image; this has never failed me in posting to this forum.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Judah14
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Judah14 »

crfriend wrote:Martin, There are any number of applications that you can use to resize images, and what you choose will necessarily reflect the ecosystem you live and work in. I inhabit a UNIX/Linux ecosystem, and I have had great success with The GIMP. It's almost as good as Photoshop but at an entirely agreeable price.
For a simpler program than GIMP, you could try KolourPaint as well, which is similar to MS Paint.
らき☆
Martin

Post by Martin »

Thanks for the advice guys. I managed to change my avatar.
Orca

Post by Orca »

Hi Martin,

welcome. [welkom]
Swim Well, Brother!
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire

Post by WesleyN »

Hello Martin,

Welcome in this world of the Skirtmen. I'm coming from Rotterdam too. {Nice to know Sikko...} Yes here are from the Netherlands. Maybe we all learn English on the High School.

When I'm abroad, at least not nearby home. I wear skirts in public. I can do this when I'm not with my family, because my wife doesn't like it. And not nearby home because I have a upgrowing child. There are enough friends, and some collegues who knows my preference. And they think it is a part of me. And they think I'm authentic.

And people will not react when you stay by yourself and not thinking: Oh what would they think about me... People will feel that and then you're the "pieneut". Sorry you're lost and you will become a hunting goal...