hello

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
eightofnine

hello

Post by eightofnine »

Hi
I'm Kev from Liverpool uk 37 years old .Been wearing skirts of and on for a few years now, been out a few times still nervous .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: hello

Post by Caultron »

Welcome, Kev, and thanks for the photo. That's a good, serviceable, everyday look.

As to nervousness being out in public, the best cure is to just get out more. Every time you have a successful outing, that builds confidence for next time.

And if you have any questions - now or as you go along - don't hesitate to ask.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Hi, Liverpool, that's where I was made! Been in Scotland for a long time now though. Welcome!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Great to have a new young fella on board. I wish I had taken up wearing skirts at 37.
It is normal to be nervous for the first few public outings, but it does get easier. so much so that one misses the adrenaline rush in the end.
I think a denim mini is a easy start as they are almost un-noticible.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote:It is normal to be nervous for the first few public outings, but it does get easier. so much so that one misses the adrenaline rush in the end.
Indeed it does get easier, and I can say, at least for myself, that I most certainly do not miss the adrenaline rush. I'm fairly high-strung anyway, and having a frisson like that affecting me makes matters much, much, worse.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Greetings, eightofnine :D
eightofnine

Post by eightofnine »

thanks for the welcome .Only problem is my Mum she doesn't like it .I wen't out for the first time to a local mall wearing a long denim skirt .No one said anything to me(apart from some kids ) ,not sure if it was because they never noticed or didn't care.Mum found out from the kids she wasn't happy .I have lost a few friends ,Just recently told my best friend and she is very supportive and has offered to help me pick out some nice skirts when i visit her in Texas.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

eightofnine wrote:Hi
I'm Kev from Liverpool uk 37 years old .Been wearing skirts of and on for a few years now, been out a few times still nervous .
:welcome:
Hi Kev, Welcome to the Skirt Cafe. Wearing skirts out of the house can seem like a daunting thing to do, but the more you do it the easier it gets. :dance: I wear skirts all of the time and have not worn pants or shorts now for over a year. I have found that most if not 99% of our fears are from our own minds and do not show up in the real world. I have received more nice comments while wearing skirts than I did the entire time I wore pants. :thumright:
So don't let your mind over whelm your wearing skirts out and about.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Hey, 8of9 those closest to us are often the hardest to convince. My mother accepted it straight away but MOH gives me a hard time about it. The thing to do is to talk to your mum and try and find out why sh objects. I've aske MOH many times and all I can get out of her is that when she sees me in a skirt she sees woman even though I don;t present as one. Have a butchers at the Pics and Looks section when it becomes available to you. You'll see me in there and plenty of other styles too. It does get easier with exposure. I don't think twice about wearing a skirt now and would do outdoors more often but to keep a semblance of peace in the house I choose my moments, mainly when she isn't around. But I persevere.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

eightofnine wrote:Only problem is my Mum she doesn't like it.
I'm going to chime in with Dennis (Sinned) here. Those closest to us always seem to be the toughest nuts to crack -- likely because they really care about us and don't want to see us getting hurt.

If you've lost friends over such a piddling matter then I think it's fairly safe to say that they were never really friends in the first place. Good friends will give you a large ration of playful grief and abuse about the matter, but then come on-side pretty quickly. I've got several good friends of over 20+ years and that's precisely what they did; I stood up the the flak, they backed down, and remain very close -- that's what real friends do. (But do expect some playful grief.)

Find out who ratted you out to your mum and give him a piece of your mind; whoever did that needs to hear about it.

Finally, be open and honest to your mother about why you're pursuing the matter. If it's all on the up-and-up, she may come 'round, if grudgingly. My elder aunt seems to have come 'round, which is very nice; early on, she hadn't a clue and that caused much confusion and, I suspect, consternation.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Hi 8of9 and welcome to the site.

I concur with sinned and crfriend that close family members can be difficult. In my case MOH is strongly disapproving whereas my sister was just as strongly (even more so) supportive! I haven't lost friends though some of my golf mates are unaware that I wear skirts.

I do curling in the winter months and I have worn skirts whilst with them for most of last season with no adverse comments. I have worn skirts at work before I retired and there were few comments none of which was disapproving. I wished I had been braver and more knowledgeable at your age to try it out.

And yes it does become easier (now it is almost second nature to me - even in miniskirts) the more you are out and about - keep it up!

Ross
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Martin

Post by Martin »

Hey Kev,

welcome to the site. Feel free to ask any question. FYI, I signed up to this site not that long ago myself. Skirtwise, I have been wearing them since a few months, and I DO like the feel and comfort of it.

Take care,

Martin
RichardA
Member Extraordinaire

Post by RichardA »

Hi & :welcome:
tesjolts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by tesjolts »

Welcome Kev, I like your outfit , it looks pretty cool!!
Cheers,
Tes