Necklace as... neck tie?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Necklace as... neck tie?

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Uncle Al wrote:FYI -
My question is - - - - -
When are men going to have their 'Turning Point' and include
skirts/kilts/dresses as part of their everyday wardrobe :?:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
If the women have their way never. :cussing: It is going to take more than a few of us brave men to make that happen. It will take the movers and shakers to make it happen and their wives will not let that happen :soapbox:.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

At the current rate of progress - sometime around 2060. :lol:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:At the current rate of progress - sometime around 2060. :lol:
That may depend on where one is. I have a feeling that we're moving backwards over on this side of the pond.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Uncle Al wrote:FYI -

My question is - - - - -
When are men going to have their 'Turning Point' and include
skirts/kilts/dresses as part of their everyday wardrobe :?:

Uncle Al
I don't know. But if its any consolation, think in terms of a subversive stage. :wink:
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: metallic jewelry for men

Post by Grok »

One rule I see posted is that the different pieces should all be the same color. All items to be golden, for example, or silver colored. However, I think my suggestion-copper and silver in the same piece, as a two toned design-would work well. If this is read by anybody who designs mens jewelry, please feel free to break this rule.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

A string of small pearls works for me, a bit larger than choker length. Works nicely in either a women's or men's collared shirt with the first 2 buttons open. So much more comfortable than a tie!!
-----Henry
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

skirtingtheissue wrote:A string of small pearls works for me, a bit larger than choker length. Works nicely in either a women's or men's collared shirt with the first 2 buttons open. So much more comfortable than a tie!!
-----Henry
The pearls Téa Leoni wore all through Deep Impact, impacted me, and I've been jealous of her ever since. I love the look of pearls, especially exactly as you describe, just a bit longer than a choker, but I've never been able to make them "work" for me. Ties work though, and give me a chance to do some colour matching and wearing some pretty patterns. If I ever find a way to make pearls work for me, I'm definitely adding them to my repertoire.
Daryl...
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Daryl wrote:Ties work though, and give me a chance to do some colour matching and wearing some pretty patterns. If I ever find a way to make pearls work for me, I'm definitely adding them to my repertoire.
Ties have never worked for me. When I was an office worker I had to do the evil suit and tie thing daily. :evil: By 10 AM the tie was pulled loosely down the shirt front and the top two buttons were undone. :D This did not work for my boss. :alien: Neckties are the work of the devil and the person who invented them should have been strung up with one. :twisted: When I wear a necklace it has to be long. About 24 to 26 inches in length that way it does not make me think I am being strangled. :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Since childhood I have associated ties with strangulation. I hate that sensation, I hate ties.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Grok wrote:Since childhood I have associated ties with strangulation. I hate that sensation, I hate ties.
AMEN!!!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Yeah, I never cared for ties, of any kind. I hate anything tight around my throat.

In my experience, bolo ties are the least bad offenders.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
Daryl wrote:Ties work though, and give me a chance to do some colour matching and wearing some pretty patterns. If I ever find a way to make pearls work for me, I'm definitely adding them to my repertoire.
Ties have never worked for me. When I was an office worker I had to do the evil suit and tie thing daily. :evil: By 10 AM the tie was pulled loosely down the shirt front and the top two buttons were undone. :D This did not work for my boss. :alien: Neckties are the work of the devil and the person who invented them should have been strung up with one. :twisted: When I wear a necklace it has to be long. About 24 to 26 inches in length that way it does not make me think I am being strangled. :lol:
Heh, you describe ties more like I'd describe pants. If the neck of my shirt isn't too tight I don't find a tie unpleasant at all but pants are definitely the work of the devil.

I was like you back when ties were required on my job. When I eventually worked at places that knew better than to expect me to dress anything but casual, and all the folks in sales and the front office had to wear ties, they would declare "casual Fridays", and so I would wear a tie on Fridays but on no other day. Now I just wear them when it suits my mood, always going out but often I won't take it off for quite a while after getting back home.

I wonder, those of you who feel "strangled", do you also have claustrophobia?
Daryl...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote:Yeah, I never cared for ties, of any kind. I hate anything tight around my throat.
I guess I'm in the other camp.

There is practically no time that I ever have to wear a tie, but sometimes I do if only to rock the boat a little bit. For instance, I wore my "London Underground" tie to work the other day when we had somebody from the parent company's main office up here -- and it's pretty sharp-looking against a backdrop of a black dress shirt and a black waistcoat.
Daryl wrote:I wonder, those of you who feel "strangled", do you also have claustrophobia?
Or have dress shirts that actually fit and who know how to tie a tie properly...

By far and away, the worst thing is to have a dress shirt that's too small in the collar -- that's what's actually "strangling" one. The tie should be done "snugly but not tightly" so as not to constrict unduly. If one feels as if he's being throttled then you're doing something wrong. Start with your shirt size.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Daryl wrote:
Fred in Skirts wrote:
Daryl wrote:nd the person who invented them should have been strung up with one. :
but pants are definitely the work of the devil.

I wonder, those of you who feel "strangled", do you also have claustrophobia?
No, not claustrophobia.

As for shirt collars being too tight...when you are a little kid someone else picks out your clothes. And you are obligated to wear those clothes to church every Sunday.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I have never liked anything that was close around my neck, even tee shirts. I try to wear v neck or boat neck tees. I have had this aversion since I can remember.