Where did you get that

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Where did you get that

Post by oldsalt1 »

The biggest problem we have getting clothing is where to shop. I thought it might be a good idea to have a post with just shopping suggestions. I realize we are multi national. but is the store fits your area.or they are online and will ship. other wise it is just a place to look for suggestions.

I was looking for something to cover the bare neck that comes with the necklines on many dresses. They used to sell an item called a dickie. which is like the top part of a turtle neck the only place I could find them was at an online store Blair blair@shop.blair.com if that doesn't work just put in blair .com and something should come up
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Where did you get that

Post by Caultron »

You can get camisoles for that purpose. Just look for something high-necked, sleeveless, not lacy (unless you want that), and cropped.

As to where to shop, I find conventional clothing stores very frustrating. Because women aren't wearing skirts very much these days, you get very little selection at a brick-and-mortar store. Amazon, by contrast, has tens of thousands of styles available and a very liberal return policy in case something doesn't fit.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

Skirts are seasonal. Just wait about a month or so and the Spring inventory will be out with lots of skirts.

Another way to find good places to shop would be to look at ads for skirts or anything else you may be interested in. That will generate lots of ads. It works for any kind of product. Sometimes I like to shop and try things on without buying them. I return them to the display and hang them back up. Be sure to hold them up and walk to the fitting room so it does not appear you may be hiding or covering. Avoid anyone watching security cameras thinking your behavior is suspicious. No one really notices or cares what you are carrying around the store.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I shop at many on line stores that also have brick and mortar stores. I find for myself, I can get the sizes I need from such stores as Lane Bryant, Roaman's, Jessica London, and Woman Within. All of these are brands that are under the Brylane umbrella. The clothes are well made and are not all that expensive. They have all kinds of big sales events to save even more money. They are in many malls so you can check out what you want and even try it in then go on line and use a savings code to get it cheaper. I also do a little shopping at Old Navy, not a lot as their clothes seem to be cheaply made. All of these stores have a large line of womens plus sizes as well as petite and smaller sizes.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
skirted_in_SF
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirted_in_SF »

oldsalt1 wrote:I was looking for something to cover the bare neck that comes with the necklines on many dresses. They used to sell an item called a dickie. which is like the top part of a turtle neck the only place I could find them was at an online store Blair blair@shop.blair.com if that doesn't work just put in blair .com and something should come up
If you want a dickie you need to look where old fashioned clothing is sold.
The Vermont Country Store has a dickie in three colors:
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/stor ... ckie/33385
National has three different ones:
https://www.shopnational.com/catalogsea ... /?q=dickie
Stuart Gallion
No reason to hide my full name 8)
Back in my skirts in San Francisco
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Actually Fred, you often can use your online savings codes in the store. That's the way Penney's works and I'm pretty sure Macy's as well.

I have not had a bit of problem in any store I've gone to, except the problems in my own head.

If a store's super busy and no men's fitting room nearby some of the other shoppers may get annoyed at your using one of "their" fitting rooms, but they're just as annoyed at the women doing the same thing to them.

But just for the record, I have tried on things in the fitting rooms at Dress Barn, Penney's, H&M, Columbia Sportswear (the clerk was especially helpful), plenty of resale shops, Ross Dress for Less, TJ Maxx, Marshall's and probably Macy's. Look, they're in business to sell stuff. What do they care that you're a man who's going to wear the women's wear you're buying? Your money is as green as anyone else's and men typically have more of it than women!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Best to try and find the MEN'S fitting room if one is available.
That failing if there is a floor clerk ask to use one of Ladies fitting rooms.
Avoid using the fitting rooms in the children's area.
If the fitting room is MARKED ladies or children avoid that - Can't you read buster !
As long as you don't leave the store - haul your trial clothing to another floor for fitting service.
Ask a clerk at a Cashiers check-out counter for help call a manager.

Make a point that you don't want to buy something to take home * to try for size and then have to go to the trouble to return it !
-OR- screw around ordering online when the bird at hand is in your hand !
It is on sale here and now - expires in xx amount of time don't want to miss the sale !
*Even more important if from out of state or area even if a branch of that store actually is near your location !

Helps to have a Credit Card for that store to show affinity aka loyalty even if you ultimately use another credit card for the sale.

You need not make excuses of buying for someone else family friend relative whatever.

Remember to bracket your size to avoid having to return again and again till you get it right ON !

Egad leaping through the flaming hoops to just try for size - it better be worth the effort !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

skirted_in_SF wrote:
oldsalt1 wrote:I was looking for something to cover the bare neck that comes with the necklines on many dresses. They used to sell an item called a dickie. which is like the top part of a turtle neck the only place I could find them was at an online store Blair blair@shop.blair.com if that doesn't work just put in blair .com and something should come up
If you want a dickie you need to look where old fashioned clothing is sold.
The Vermont Country Store has a dickie in three colors:
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/stor ... ckie/33385
National has three different ones:
https://www.shopnational.com/catalogsea ... /?q=dickie
Consider a sleeveless turtle neck or what is called a MOCK neck "T" shirt for more coverage !

On Ebay Search for Dickie - lots of examples and price (bid) range - and as noted S & H always a critical factor making or breaking the sale !

Closing thought consider wearing a long sleeve turtleneck and then wear a sleeveless blouse (vest) as an outer cover instead of the dickie as an inner garment !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Thanks for the help. I think I am going to try for a sleeveless turtle neck . I went out in my dress la st night tights and boots kept the bottom half warm but the top was cold an extra layer would help
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

oldsalt1 wrote:Thanks for the help. I think I am going to try for a sleeveless turtle neck . I went out in my dress la st night tights and boots kept the bottom half warm but the top was cold an extra layer would help
I first found a red and a white long-sleeve turtle-neck t-shirts, rather soft and drapy, and scarfed them up immediately at a (consignment, I guess) store: Clothes Mentor.

Looking at the tags in the necks I saw the "Catherine's" label so I went there and got another red and another white turtle-neck t-shirt - this time sleeveless ones, plus a long-sleeved cream one that wasn't on display but the sales lady offered.

At the high end I have a nice, heavier white short-sleeve turtleneck from Lane Bryant and at the top is a white knit almost-sweater in a long-sleeve turtle-neck.

I like the turtle-neck look and along with my existing black long-sleeve ones I've worn as an exterior shirt for decades, I have four colors to play with, etc.

I've a couple of compression shelf camisoles that I found and got recently and they work well as undershirts but not so well when worn with my Lane Bryant suit jackets. I may ask Sharon, my tailor, to take in the front darts to bring the front of the jacket in for a closer fit. Hmmm...take the extra fullness in the chest and add a little tailoring, shaping it around the gun and holster, and add a little stiffer canvas to prevent "printing." Bond, James Bond....oops....Rowe, Darryl Rowe. :roll:

Most cami's have a sort of scoop neck that would, IMO, re-emphasize the lack of a bust. But I haven't seen every style out there.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

I found this website, I have not ordered anything from them but they look fairly promising and have fair prices. And modest clothes I could actually see me wearing. That is very important, most stores/websites the stuff is "yuck"
If I order anything I will post a followup and pics.

https://www.sweetsaltclothing.com/

Mishawaka
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.